California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tangerine Gleam

Silver

California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 am

With 10 days to go, I thought we might want a thread for last-minute questions, predictions, rants, etc.

Did everyone remember to register their laptop for use by today? If not, you've got two hours remaining (I think)...

calibred

New

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Post by calibred » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:52 am

The essay days are intimidating as fuck. Kinda glad we have the MBE sandwiched in the middle to soften the blow a little bit

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:31 am

I just registered my computer a couple hours late and it says you can register up until the 27th. Email says the 19th though. Weird.

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:03 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 am

worldtraveler wrote:I just registered my computer a couple hours late and it says you can register up until the 27th. Email says the 19th though. Weird.
That's good to hear. I didn't understand why they had set such an early deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Getting ridiculously stressed looking at the all4jds forum, and also reading essays graded 50 on BarEssays - because many seem better than what I can do.

Anyone else NOT doing 600 MBEs per day and or writing out 6 full essays per day? I've been reviewing 2 subjects per day reasonably well, then planning to do some essay practice starting on Tuesday or so.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:58 pm

crying at how close this is. where did the summer go.

i'm doing intense reviews of 2 CA subjects / 1-2 MBE subjects on alternating days. not practicing the CPE really, seems like the easiest part? what troubles are you guys having with CPE?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm super worried. I've done well on MBEs, but it feels like I have zero law actually memorized. I've spent the last couple days just trying to retain as much as possible on the non-MBE subjects. Not sure its going that well. As for the MPTs? Yeah, I have no idea.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Getting ridiculously stressed looking at the all4jds forum, and also reading essays graded 50 on BarEssays - because many seem better than what I can do.

Anyone else NOT doing 600 MBEs per day and or writing out 6 full essays per day? I've been reviewing 2 subjects per day reasonably well, then planning to do some essay practice starting on Tuesday or so.
Yeah, I actually have become less productive the closer this thing gets. I swear I'll sit at my desk all day and later realize I maybe only got like 3 hours of actual studying in.

Got upper management written all over me.

Edit: I have been playing around with this. http://one-timers.com/calculate-your-fi ... exam-grade

anyone know if this it at all accurate? If so, looks like you can do pretty poorly on essays and make up for it in the MBE and MPT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:22 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:24 am

guys, it's the CPT, not the MPT

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:46 am

hopkins23 wrote:Anyone know how important it is to do these Cross Over questions? I would rather focus on some more specific-subject questions.
Remedies will most likely be a crossover with Tort or K ...and Wills w/ Comm Prop. I am just praying they don't throw a CA CivPro or Evidence essay. Can we all agree to just write "No." as our answer if they ask for CA distinctions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:51 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:Anyone know how important it is to do these Cross Over questions? I would rather focus on some more specific-subject questions.
Remedies will most likely be a crossover with Tort or K ...and Wills w/ Comm Prop. I am just praying they don't throw a CA CivPro or Evidence essay. Can we all agree to just write "No." as our answer if they ask for CA distinctions?
Last summer we had a Cal evidence essay. But there weren't any state distinctions, all same as federal.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 pm

This. Totally fine with Wills/Trusts/Comm Prop. if we don't have Evidence. I'm even fine with Civ Pro if there aren't Cal. distinctions. How about just a nice, straightforward Burglary question?

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:
This. Totally fine with Wills/Trusts/Comm Prop. if we don't have Evidence. I'm even fine with Civ Pro if there aren't Cal. distinctions. How about just a nice, straightforward Burglary question?
Crimes is unlikely. Esp a straightforward one. In the Feb 2013, they asked a blatant "Is this conspiracy? Is this solicitation? Is this attempt?" question...I think as Q1. Crimes has been tested on the last two exams so there is a strong possibility they skip us, unfortunately :(

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Kretzy wrote:
So yesterday I reviewed agency and corporations. Feel decent about it. Today, I've started wills and trusts. Even though I've watched the lecture, made an outline, and reviewed that outline several times, I swear this is the first time I've ever seen any of this material before. None of its sticking. Was my brain just turned off every other time I've looked at this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:49 pm

CA evidence is so confusing :( I really hope this doesn't appear.

(Found pretty good flashcards for evidence http://quizlet.com/5622708/ca-evidence- ... ash-cards/)

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Just got my ass kicked on a 50-set MBE. It is scary how much you need to up the ante on the essays if you don't have a super-solid MBE.

Everyone says "oh, you'll be fine - it is a minimum competency test." Hopefully I will pass and feel that same way; but from this side of things, this test seems very difficult.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Did Feb 2013 have a Conlaw essay? If not then you guys are probably going to get one.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Just got my ass kicked on a 50-set MBE. It is scary how much you need to up the ante on the essays if you don't have a super-solid MBE.

Everyone says "oh, you'll be fine - it is a minimum competency test." Hopefully I will pass and feel that same way; but from this side of things, this test seems very difficult.
The actual MBE is a good bit different from the Kaplan/BarBri/Themis practice sets. So don't get too discouraged.

You can do this, just stay positive and try not to panic. Convince yourself it's no big deal if something bad happens. You should be mentally loose; try to relax and take your time when analyzing essay fact patterns. If you are too high strung and panicked you may miss some critical issues.

All of you guys can do this... I didn't study for the last 2 weeks prior to my bar exam and I still passed. Just try to relax and tell yourself that you have done everything possible to prepare.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Feb 2013
Question 1: Criminal Law and Procedure
Question 2: Professional Responsibility
Question 3: Remedies
Question 4: Torts
Question 5: Civil Procedure
Question 6: Business Associations
PT - A Task: Objective Opinion Letter to Client
PT - B Task: Persuasive Letter to Opposing Counsel

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the support, Mick Haller. That was nice of you.

Also, is this really true?
I didn't study for the last 2 weeks prior to my bar exam and I still passed.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Seems possible if you destroy the MBE and PTs

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Seems possible if you destroy the MBE and PTs
HAve you seen the CPTs? Those monsters are impossible to destroy. How they expect us to get through 30 pages worth of shit and then follow the memo's directions to a T and then type out all of the rules and analysis in their respective sections in just 3 hours is just beyond me. I got a week to do work like that last summer. My performance on CPTs vary so much, its honestly a crapshoot. Hit everything from 55s to 75s (graded by an outside agency)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”