California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Torts Illustrated

New

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread

Post by Torts Illustrated » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Actually, since I'm predicting Wills/Trusts, Real Property, and (probably) Contracts, I guess Remedies is a pretty likely crossover with any of those. I wouldn't rule out a PR crossover too, just because the bar examiners seem to love PR so much.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Torts Illustrated wrote:Actually, since I'm predicting Wills/Trusts, Real Property, and (probably) Contracts, I guess Remedies is a pretty likely crossover with any of those. I wouldn't rule out a PR crossover too, just because the bar examiners seem to love PR so much.
I think this is right.

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Corps is probably out of the question for being tested again, right? At the least, they probably won't ask a question involving self-dealing directors.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:29 pm

This exam is making me question every single decision I have made in my life that led me toward the bar exam.

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:29 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

deadlinguo wrote:Corps is probably out of the question for being tested again, right? At the least, they probably won't ask a question involving self-dealing directors.
I was thinking trusts is out for this reason too... or at least not a trusts problem involving charitable purposes?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Haha, I basically told myself "this doesn't make sense now, but it'll make sense and I'll have a plan of action in the end. If I don't, I'm fucked."

After reading all the materials: "I'm fucked."

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 pm

hopkins23 wrote:I concur with what everyone said in this thread regarding the PT. I never had a clear understanding of the law or how to extract the law from the statutes/cases and was always unsure about what exactly I was doing. I never felt comfortable at all throughout that exam.

As I was reading through the library, I was thinking, "Umm...this is going to be cleared up soon and make sense, right." Few pages later, "Right...?" At the end of the library, "&*#&@." I read the library twice and skimmed through it again, to no avail.

I "finished", but the last two sections of the five-part section thingy was pretty much the same drivel. And the second part was drivel too that I wrote in 5 minutes.

Misery loves company.
yeah, I actually think I would have done better if I more or less cut and paste the same analysis for at least three of those.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah that PT SUUUUUCKED. I think part of it was the way our idiot attorney asked us to structure our answer that threw me off the most. I think my analysis on part 2 of the PT was pretty solid (I did it first because the first section was too much to handle).

My real concern with the PT is that when they go to calibrate it, they will have so many different approaches that the one they choose as "correct" will inevitably be somewhat arbitrary. Hopefully they recognize that and give points for trying to follow instructions and not going off topic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Emma. wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:I bombed that PT. Holy shit.
I don't even want to know what we were supposed to do on it. I actually wrote like 3000 words. Just rambling incoherent nonsense, most of which repeated itself. Holyshit.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Post on xo:
"i just checked the cmr and it didn't even have anything about the "involuntary servitude clause." you actually had to go to the big outline to even know anything at all about that question. lol just fucking lol."

thank you for summing up this morning.

ben bernanke

New

Post by ben bernanke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 pm

That PT was horrible. Would be thrilled with a 55.

Wonder what standards are for a 55? A 50? Worse?

3 of those 5 sections completely punted....

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 pm

jmhendri wrote:
yeah, I actually think I would have done better if I more or less cut and paste the same analysis for at least three of those.
I ran out of time and did that. I cut and paste in my analysis for the second problem for the last two. Pretty sure it's wrong, pretty sure I failed. I thought performance tests were supposed to be easy? "Don't bother studying, if you don't know it by law school, you won't learn it for the bar exam.."

Also WTF is the involuntary servitude clause.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Post on xo:
"i just checked the cmr and it didn't even have anything about the "involuntary servitude clause." you actually had to go to the big outline to even know anything at all about that question. lol just fucking lol."

Yeah that was totally out of left field. I just made up some shit like "it prevents the state from forcing a person to perform labor" which is like the definition of the term yeah fuckin brilliant. Although I at least was clever enough to also write that it doesn't apply to criminal punishments because I remembered chain gangs from Hollywood movies...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 pm

deadlinguo wrote:

Yeah that was totally out of left field. I just made up some shit like "it prevents the state from forcing a person to perform labor" which is like the definition of the term yeah fuckin brilliant. Although I at least was clever enough to also write that it doesn't apply to criminal punishments because I remembered chain gangs from Hollywood movies...
Pretty much did the exact same thing.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm

I had no idea what that was about, but I made something up about it not being involuntary servitude if they could arguably just not drop out to avoid it.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 pm

I hope corporations and remedies are out of the picture now.

So I didn't even understand the assignment for a while, even after reading it several times. The statutes only talked about director liability, and the assignment wanted me to talk about SIA's liability. Out of desperation, I said a corporation provides limited liability to its directors and officers, so SIA would be liable for the acts of the directors. Then I just paraphrased the statutes as part of my answer (like I wouldn't have access to copy and paste IRL).

I "finished," but I was just smashing the keyboard in bullet time in the last 30 seconds. Was hoping to get a few more words in before the announcer called time. The second part about dissolution was 3 paragraphs long, just based on the last case.

Totally BS'd the 13th amendment shit, too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 pm

deadlinguo wrote:

I just applied strict scrutiny and moved on. Sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Lulz

1L1284

New

Post by 1L1284 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:56 pm

To those who didn't finish the PT - don't worry. I did the one thing I wasn't supposed to do so I'm pretty sure I failed. Totally forgot we weren't supposed to talk about director liability. Of course that's all I did on parts of it because there was nothing else I could think of to talk about .... Guess I'll try to make it up tomorrow.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:56 pm

I actually liked that part of the question -- tests your creativity. I think both of the above are good routes. I focused more on analogizing to the draft but then shot that down because its a state doing labor camps instead of the feds fighting a war.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Is it just wishful thinking to hope that W&T is less likely after we've had a Community Property question today? (And after that fucked up sorta trusts-related PT?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:I actually liked that part of the question -- tests your creativity. I think both of the above are good routes. I focused more on analogizing to the draft but then shot that down because its a state doing labor camps instead of the feds fighting a war.
Ha, I did this exact same thing.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Is it just wishful thinking to hope that W&T is less likely after we've had a Community Property question today? (And after that fucked up sorta trusts-related PT?)
I think so. W&T wasn't on the last exam, and it's basically on almost every exam, so something makes me think it has to be tested.

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 pm

hopkins23 wrote:I read a few pages back that if you don't finish a PT, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't pass the essay. Anyone can confirm this?
This too. It's the nature of the curve. The fact that there aren't people in this thread, which is generally comprised of really smart people, who were like "well shit that was easy" is pretty reassuring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”