Question re Washington College of Law (WCL) of American Univ

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ken Johnson

Question re Washington College of Law (WCL) of American Univ

Postby Ken Johnson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm

So, here's a question that I'm asking for no particular reason, just kind of an open-ended, idle curiosity matter. :)

Anyone have any opinions on, experience with, or thoughts on dealing with the Office of the Dean of Students at the Washington College of Law (part of American University)?

criminaltheory

Re: Question re Washington College of Law (WCL) of American Univ

Postby criminaltheory » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes, someone does.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 pm

What did they do to you?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 am

Nova wrote:What did they do to you?

Tell him/her to attend

Ken Johnson

Postby Ken Johnson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 am

Nova wrote:What did they do to you?

OP: Boiling hot oil. Whips and floggings. Waterboarding. And that was just during orientation week.

Seriously, if they did all that, at least they'd be paying us some attention. It's more what they kind of don't do. Not as much support as you'd expect. Long on suggestions about what courses to take, short on addressing larger problems with the school that affect students. Kind of weak on the personal touch. Very eager to address your problems -- with referrals to outside resources -- if, say, you are a blatant alcoholic, compulsive gambler, drug addict, etc. WCL may have it its share of those problems, though most of my fellow students seem pretty healthy to me wrt to those kinds of things.

Most student problems are with other departments (fin aid, registrar, etc.) and sometimes with professors. Also, the career center is the school joke. (It's like going to your barber for brain surgery.) Bring those issues to the attention of the DoS office, and you get... a shrug. "*You* (the student) handle it with *them*. Oops, it's 5 p.m., time to get home to the wife and kids." Thanks for nothing.

Maybe I should add a larger question -- or maybe start a separate thread, because this one may draw mainly WCL students. But I'll start here, and maybe repost separately later:

How many people, at WCL or at other law schools, find the Dean of Students office is effective in addressing the problems that the students have with the institution?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:40 am

I would need to be completely anonymous to fully vent my rage. :mrgreen:

forumofinterest

Postby forumofinterest » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 am

Dear "Ken",

I read with interest your query about the WCL dean of students, as well as your concerns.

I am curious why you do not raise your concerns directly with the dean of students. Students sometimes forget that our interest is to support them, not to make their time in law school more challenging. Addressing issues involving other offices can be more difficult, but that too should be discussed.

I'm not offended by anything you wrote (admittedly I paused at "it's 5:00pm; time to get home...". It is true that I have a family and a life outside law school, and the job permits me to leave at 5:00. But I have never walked away from an emergency situation, regardless of the hour). I'm just surprised when a student feels he or she cannot come in and talk to me - alone, with a group of equally concerned students, etc. Of course since I do not know you, I cannot know what the particular issues were (or are). I am also a little concerned that you felt the personal touch was missing when/if we met, as that is not normally what I glean from students. Of course, if your concerns are serious, then you should report me to my supervisor so that some official assessment can be called for.

I do hope to hear from you (and to "Nova", as well, for much the same reasons). I do not visit this forum; the message was forwarded to me by a colleague, so I if you do choose to respond please do so directly to me.

Sincerely,

David Jaffe
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
American University Washington College of Law

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:48 pm

forumofinterest wrote:Dear "Ken",

I read with interest your query about the WCL dean of students, as well as your concerns.

I am curious why you do not raise your concerns directly with the dean of students. Students sometimes forget that our interest is to support them, not to make their time in law school more challenging. Addressing issues involving other offices can be more difficult, but that too should be discussed.

I'm not offended by anything you wrote (admittedly I paused at "it's 5:00pm; time to get home...". It is true that I have a family and a life outside law school, and the job permits me to leave at 5:00. But I have never walked away from an emergency situation, regardless of the hour). I'm just surprised when a student feels he or she cannot come in and talk to me - alone, with a group of equally concerned students, etc. Of course since I do not know you, I cannot know what the particular issues were (or are). I am also a little concerned that you felt the personal touch was missing when/if we met, as that is not normally what I glean from students. Of course, if your concerns are serious, then you should report me to my supervisor so that some official assessment can be called for.

I do hope to hear from you (and to "Nova", as well, for much the same reasons). I do not visit this forum; the message was forwarded to me by a colleague, so I if you do choose to respond please do so directly to me.

Sincerely,

David Jaffe

Lolz

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm

forumofinterest wrote:Dear "Ken",

Sincerely,

David Jaffe

Masterful Flame.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:03 pm

To be clear, "David Jaffe", I don't go to WCL. I was replying to this general question:

Ken Johnson wrote:How many people, at WCL or at other law schools, find the Dean of Students office is effective in addressing the problems that the students have with the institution?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”