dropping out after 1L and updating your resume/linkedin

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FreeLikeTheBreeze

dropping out after 1L and updating your resume/linkedin

Postby FreeLikeTheBreeze » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Any advices for how structure your resume and linkedin after dropping out? Should you include it on your resume and linkedin, or should you try to omit it somehow? (also, wouldn't it be embarrassing not to include it on your linkedin since your law school classmates will be looking at it..just feels kinda weird idk)

cinephile

Re: dropping out after 1L and updating your resume/linkedin

Postby cinephile » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I wouldn't put it on my CV/linkedin. It will limit your options. It looks like you're either a flaky person who doesn't know what he or she wants out of life or that you did very poorly in school. Neither of these are a good look. Avoid putting yourself in a negative life. Who cares what random people from your law school might think? You're under no obligation to remain connected with them on linkedin anyway.

Did you do anything else during the last year? Something you could put on your resume instead? Even if it's just something like tutoring for Princeton Review or blogging, it's better than nothing.

haus

Postby haus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I do not see any upside in listing one year of law school on your resume when you have decided to walk away.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 pm

I think you have a warped view of human nature. Your former classmates aren't sitting at home going haha he got bad grades. First off, it's just as likely you realized you hated law. Secondly, this isn't really what people do unless you have an arch rival or something.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm 85 percent sure op was drunk when they typed that.

I can tell its a shop from the pixels, and from having seen a lot of shops in my time.

FreeLikeTheBreeze

Postby FreeLikeTheBreeze » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 am

I actually got good grades. I'm dropping out b/c I hate anything pertaining to the practice of law. So, that's why I'm wondering to include it on my resume. If I put it on my resume it will show that I got good grades but decided to quit law school....So, I'm wondering whether employers will see this as a negative attribute. LOL people assume right away that the reason why you dropped out of law school is because you got poor grades.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:49 am

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:I actually got good grades. I'm dropping out b/c I hate anything pertaining to the practice of law. So, that's why I'm wondering to include it on my resume. If I put it on my resume it will show that I got good grades but decided to quit law school....So, I'm wondering whether employers will see this as a negative attribute. LOL people assume right away that the reason why you dropped out of law school is because you got poor grades.

No.

Still not worth it. Even if you aced everything, it will cause you more headaches than it will give you benefits. Perhaps when you have found a successful career part and put in 3-5 years of solid experience down this path, it may be worth dredging up as a possible knowledge area. But using it now will likely not help.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:16 pm

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:I actually got good grades. I'm dropping out b/c I hate anything pertaining to the practice of law. So, that's why I'm wondering to include it on my resume. If I put it on my resume it will show that I got good grades but decided to quit law school....So, I'm wondering whether employers will see this as a negative attribute. LOL people assume right away that the reason why you dropped out of law school is because you got poor grades.

I never assumed that and made very clear in my post. I was simply stating that if people know that you dropped out of law school, they suspect one of the following two things about you that you either 1) got poor grades or 2) are a flake who doesn't know what he wants out of life. If your GPA is on your resume and linkedin, then that dispells any fears that they'll assume you got poor grades. But now the only remaining answer is that you don't know what you're doing. Who is to say you won't quit your next job or grad program or whatever now that you have a demonstrated record of being a quitter?

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything because I absolutely believe that dropping out of law school is the right choice for the majority of law students. I'm just trying to prepare you for how other people will see it. It won't be seen as a plus because you're someone who starts a project only to fail to complete it, so try to keep it off your resume and linkedin and anywhere else you might want to mention it. There is no circumstance under which this will be seen a plus, so bury it and come up with someone else to fill the gap.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

cinephile wrote:If your GPA is on your resume and linkedin, then that dispells any fears that they'll assume you got poor grades. But now the only remaining answer is that you don't know what you're doing. Who is to say you won't quit your next job or grad program or whatever now that you have a demonstrated record of being a quitter?

Think about this from the view of a hiring manager, as a general rule they will want to hire a candidate who has a goal in mind and the job that they are applying for fits into that goal. A reference to the program you dropped out of screams that you are running from something, and not likely a goo candidate for much of anything.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Most people I know who dropped out do not list the year of LS on their resume or LI.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”