Withdrew - Going Back?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beardown67

Withdrew - Going Back?

Postby beardown67 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Started law school at a strong regional (T25) school last fall. Finished fall 1L in approximately the top 5-10% of my class (including a CALI award) and had a good job lined up for this summer with a federal COA judge (feeder-type). I ended up having a really rough spring semester for personal and family reasons, however, and ended up withdrawing from the school towards the end of the semester (in doing so, I obviously told the judge who I was to have worked for and he was gracious enough to express his concern and told me to let him know if I made it back to law school and we could see about me working in his chambers some later summer).

Fast forward to now - I've had some time to sort out most of the issues that had been hanging me up while at school, and, in the process, was diagnosed with clinical depression and started on medication for it. I'm definitely starting to feel better, and I'm considering trying to go back to school. Because I didn't complete this past semester, I'll have to do second semester 1L over again, and so I can't reenter until the spring, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has been in anything resembling my situation and, if so, how they handled things.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and mods, feel free to move this if it's not in the right forum.

ETA: I have a decent idea of the logistics involved in coming back from talking to the Dean of Students before I left - I'm more concerned about employment-related issues.

Lacepiece23

Re: Withdrew - Going Back?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am

I had a friend in a similiar situation. He had depression and became hooked on addi's his first year. Reentered after he sorted some shit out. The school let him keep his scholarship. He ended up doing fine in school, and is looking for full time employment. He goes to a TTT school so he wasn't really looking at big firms anyway. I really don't think it ended up being a big deal.

beardown67

Postby beardown67 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks for the input, lacepiece. I don't know if your friend went through OCI or not, but I'm interested in how I would go about explaining this sort of thing to employers, both there and in any interviews I would potentially obtain through mass-mailing.

I'd ideally like to work in a mid to large sized firm in one of a few secondary markets that I did some networking in last fall, but I haven't yet gone ahead and informed those individuals with whom I'd been corresponding about what's happened the past few months. I'm also potentially interested in clerking.

sweetpea1813

Postby sweetpea1813 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:05 pm

I think it would be very reasonable to explain that you were going through some personal and family issues and rather than your grades and academic performance suffering, you chose to withdraw temporarily and come back once the issues were resolved. You're human...from my experience, employers will be understanding. People take time for a variety of reasons. I probably wouldn't go into detail in explaining things to them. But I think you could also talk up the fact that you were eager to keep up your grades/rank after 1st semester and didn't want your work to be compromised due to external circumstances.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:23 pm

beardown67 wrote:Thanks for the input, lacepiece. I don't know if your friend went through OCI or not, but I'm interested in how I would go about explaining this sort of thing to employers, both there and in any interviews I would potentially obtain through mass-mailing.

I'd ideally like to work in a mid to large sized firm in one of a few secondary markets that I did some networking in last fall, but I haven't yet gone ahead and informed those individuals with whom I'd been corresponding about what's happened the past few months. I'm also potentially interested in clerking.

His grades weren't quite high enough for OCI. Think top 17% no law review. He actually just graduated. I think your at a much better school then him also. It really hasn't seemed to hurt him right now he's doing about whats expected with his school and grades. Doesn't have anything yet, but probably will soon after the bar.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”