3.0 at Top 30 School, just finished 1L..drop out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FreeLikeTheBreeze

3.0 at Top 30 School, just finished 1L..drop out?

Postby FreeLikeTheBreeze » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I am seriously considering dropping out. My grades are not horrible, although not ideal for biglaw, which I have no interest in whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I have no interest in practicing law. I came to law school for the dumb reasons many people do but are afraid to admit it. If I stay in school, I can probably graduate with a 3.0 or higher GPA, but since I do not plan on practicing law, I am wondering wether it is worth staying. Will a JD from a good school enhance my chances of getting a job in law enforcement or any other field? I want to work in law enforcement or do some wort of writing, advising, counseling, etc...I also have mixed feelings about dropping out, since I don't like to "quit". But honestly, I don't feel like I'm quitting since I was able to finish the first year at one of the top schools in my region and managed to get a 3.0. I simply don't want to continue doing something that I know will make me miserable and will drown me in debt (It would probably take me around 15 years to pay off the debt. I Know, that sounds scary.)

Thanks for taking your time to read and please give me your honest suggestions.

zozin

Re: 3.0 at Top 30 School, just finished 1L..drop out?

Postby zozin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:14 pm

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:since I do not plan on practicing law

Drop out. Save two years of tuition. Get a job as a local cop or something.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 pm

zozin wrote:
FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:since I do not plan on practicing law

Drop out. Save two years of tuition. Get a job as a local cop or something.

+1.

FreeLikeTheBreeze

Postby FreeLikeTheBreeze » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Not to sound like a d-bag, but I want to get paid a little higher in order to pay back my loans.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 pm

id rather be in debtor's prison than be a local cop.

zozin

Postby zozin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 pm

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:Not to sound like a d-bag, but I want to get paid a little higher in order to pay back my loans.

Well two years of law school, with no intention to practice law aftewards, won't get a better paid law enforcement job.

FreeLikeTheBreeze

Postby FreeLikeTheBreeze » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Also, I want to utilize my bachelor's degree. I believe cops don't require higher education.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:39 pm

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:Also, I want to utilize my bachelor's degree. I believe cops don't require higher education.

What's your major?

If the answer has anything to do with the humanities, be a cop

FreeLikeTheBreeze

Postby FreeLikeTheBreeze » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Is being a cop the only entry level position I would qualify for?

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 pm

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:Is being a cop the only entry level position I would qualify for?

I think maybe what's confusing people is that you said you want to work in law enforcement.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Suburban cops are extremely well-compensated...

LgllyBlnde

Postby LgllyBlnde » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:38 pm

DROP OUT NOW.

End of story.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Becoming a cop is pretty difficult nowadays. I'd look into it some more.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

FreeLikeTheBreeze wrote:I am seriously considering dropping out. My grades are not horrible, although not ideal for biglaw, which I have no interest in whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I have no interest in practicing law. I came to law school for the dumb reasons many people do but are afraid to admit it. If I stay in school, I can probably graduate with a 3.0 or higher GPA, but since I do not plan on practicing law, I am wondering wether it is worth staying. Will a JD from a good school enhance my chances of getting a job in law enforcement or any other field? I want to work in law enforcement or do some wort of writing, advising, counseling, etc...I also have mixed feelings about dropping out, since I don't like to "quit". But honestly, I don't feel like I'm quitting since I was able to finish the first year at one of the top schools in my region and managed to get a 3.0. I simply don't want to continue doing something that I know will make me miserable and will drown me in debt (It would probably take me around 15 years to pay off the debt. I Know, that sounds scary.)

Thanks for taking your time to read and please give me your honest suggestions.

Look at the data you've given us:

Reasons to drop out:
-You have no interest in practicing law
-You have no plan to practice law
-You want to do X, Y, or Z non-law careers
-You believe practicing law will make you miserable
-Dropping out at this point won't make you feel like a quitter

Reasons to stay:
-possibility that a JD could help you get a non-law job.

It won't help. It will probably hurt. I've never seen a more clear-cut case for dropping out.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm

You have lots of conflicting goals and you almost assuredly you will be disappointed since you can't have them all. You want to "utilize your bachelor's degree" but fail to realize that monkeys can do most entry level jobs these days. You want to get paid well (to pay back your debt) but fail to realize that entry level jobs do not pay well (and they especially are unlikely to pay well for someone who likely spent their first year out of undergrad in a graduate school that they dropped out of). You want to complete your law degree but it won't help you do anything other than something you don't want to do (practice law). You want to be in law enforcement but you also want to write/advise/counsel/whatever and those things are not compatible (and the latter could mean anything). You want to do the things lawyers do (write/advise/counsel) yet you don't want to be a lawyer.

If you legitimately want to "write/advise/counsel" then sack up and be a lawyer because that is what lawyers do. If you don't want to be a lawyer then sack up and drop out before 2L starts (and ASAP spend some time figuring out exactly what kind of jobs exist that you might want to do and how to get there).

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Quit now if you do not want to practice law. Serious. I know recent grads with JDs applying to various corporate jobs because they believed the "JD is a plus" propaganda. Every interview they get has the "how long do you think you will work for us before bailing for [insert crazy high paying legal job]?" Q.... No callbacks. Radio silence.

Dropping out is super tough though, I can appreciate that... Just do NOT stay in LS with the idea that in 2 years the JD will do anything other than slam shut doors that used to be open (i.e., all entry-level or clerical jerbs).

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:30 am

Gorki wrote:Every interview they get has the "how long do you think you will work for us before bailing for [insert crazy high paying legal job]?" Q.... No callbacks. Radio silence.

TBF I don't really see why you wouldn't prepare for questions like these.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”