How much can Law Review help if your grades are median?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
notcool

How much can Law Review help if your grades are median?

Postby notcool » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I am median at T20 and somehow managed to write on to Law Review even though I thought my submission was terrible..... I initially figured my chances for OCI success were nil and was debating about whether I even wanted to participate in it, but after making LR.... I'm pretty sure my chances for OCI success are still nil. Is this a correct assumption?

mr.hands

Re: How much can Law Review help if your grades are median?

Postby mr.hands » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 pm

notcool wrote:I am median at T20 and somehow managed to write on to Law Review even though I thought my submission was terrible..... I initially figured my chances for OCI success were nil and was debating about whether I even wanted to participate in it, but after making LR.... I'm pretty sure my chances for OCI success are still nil. Is this a correct assumption?

I was wondering the same thing for T14s

guano

Postby guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:32 pm

notcool wrote:I am median at T20 and somehow managed to write on to Law Review even though I thought my submission was terrible..... I initially figured my chances for OCI success were nil and was debating about whether I even wanted to participate in it, but after making LR.... I'm pretty sure my chances for OCI success are still nil. Is this a correct assumption?

If you don't participate, your chance is definitely nil.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Writing onto law review is difficult and shows you're a good writer. They will know you wrote on. Hit the legal writing/research aspect hard, maybe say you're 100% a litigation person.

notcool

Postby notcool » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:Writing onto law review is difficult and shows you're a good writer. They will know you wrote on. Hit the legal writing/research aspect hard, maybe say you're 100% a litigation person.

I mean, is it possible to hit the writing/research aspect hard with a meh grade of B+ in LRW?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:57 pm

It can't possibly hurt you, so why why wouldn't you try out?

And your legal writing has no effect on being able to write on for law review.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:33 pm

So I wrote on during the summer before 2L. After 1L, my grades were a bit above median and LR was brought up in almost every one of my interviews. Personally, I thought it helped. How much? I guess that depends on the firm and their policy towards grades.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 am

notcool wrote:
legalmindedfella wrote:Writing onto law review is difficult and shows you're a good writer. They will know you wrote on. Hit the legal writing/research aspect hard, maybe say you're 100% a litigation person.

I mean, is it possible to hit the writing/research aspect hard with a meh grade of B+ in LRW?

I wrote on to LR at my T20 school, and I know for a fact it helped. I was probably closer to top quarter, top third when OCI rolled around, so my grades were solid but not a lock. So it was clear that I wrote-on. I know for a fact that being on law review helped me land interviews and job offers I wouldn't have otherwise been able to secure. And my LRW grades were similar to yours.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am

I think this is exactly when law review helps the most, and I would milk it for everything it's worth.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Law Review kids who were at median got better jobs at my school than top 15% kids on secondaries. I will forever believe that LR is the single most important thing in law school.

notcool

Postby notcool » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 pm

The problem is, my GPA is about .1 points below the lowest stated GPA cutoff for most firms participating in OCI at my school... Do you think I can bid on firms with this GPA cutoff anyway, hoping that LR sort of makes up that .1?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 pm

notcool wrote:The problem is, my GPA is about .1 points below the lowest stated GPA cutoff for most firms participating in OCI at my school... Do you think I can bid on firms with this GPA cutoff anyway, hoping that LR sort of makes up that .1?

I think that you might as well try.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:41 pm

notcool wrote:
The problem is, my GPA is about .1 points below the lowest stated GPA cutoff for most firms participating in OCI at my school... Do you think I can bid on firms with this GPA cutoff anyway, hoping that LR sort of makes up that .1?

Is it a hard requirement? Is your OCI preselect or lottery?

notcool

Postby notcool » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 pm

DildaMan wrote:
notcool wrote:

It's 30% preselect, 70% lottery. I mean, some firms say that this GPA is required so I guess that would make it a hard requirement... But in reviewing data from last year a few with this cutoff still gave callbacks to students with lower. I guess I will bid anyway. Might as well try...

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm

mr.hands wrote:

I was wondering the same thing for T14s

I've heard it makes a very big difference, FWIW. I'm praying I somehow wrote-on, but there's no way lol.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 pm

notcool wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
notcool wrote:

It's 30% preselect, 70% lottery. I mean, some firms say that this GPA is required so I guess that would make it a hard requirement... But in reviewing data from last year a few with this cutoff still gave callbacks to students with lower. I guess I will bid anyway. Might as well try...

Bid away. If you're near the cutoff, they're generally forgiving. If not, then it's a good practice session.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about stated cutoffs, and in any event I don't really see what you have to lose.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 pm

notcool wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
notcool wrote:

Why do you sound so down? You have a shot to get a job through OCI. Practice interviewing many times, not just once. Do all your research and be prepared. I think there are threads with how to prepare for interview advice in them. Push hard and pick up extra interviews. You are very close to cutoffs, so don't give up. Give it your best shot. Don't be half-assed about it. You have decent grades and law review. Now go and sell yourself to firms.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”