Reading the Conviser in the Delivery Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shepdawg

Reading the Conviser in the Delivery Room

Postby shepdawg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:06 pm

My baby is coming earlier than expected, and I'm reviewing the cmr during down times in the delivery room. I will not be able to do any of the final practise essays or mpqs for torts and contracts. Any chance I'll remember this stuff?

Stinson

Re: Reading the Conviser in the Delivery Room

Postby Stinson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Wait, people are reading the CMR?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Stinson wrote:Wait, people are reading the CMR?

I generally don't unless there's something I don't get

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm

i just stare at it for 10 hours a day. and then try to rewrite it from memory. that's how to study, right?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Good luck and congrats!

Given what I know about your bar study habits from this forum, I'm sure you'll be just fine. You're probably already 75%+ of the Paced Program, which is more than most will do. You've got this.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Stinson wrote:Wait, people are reading the CMR?

I've been using it to make flash cards. I like it a lot better than the lectures + notes.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 pm

I agree. I disregarded the CMR for the first four weeks, but now I'm finding it very useful. Probably more useful than the lecture notes.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 am

Right after I gave birth someone told me that the oxytocin your body releases during labor & delivery can cause amnesia, but the good side is it will ease your memory of the labor pains a bit! I remember very little of the first several months after delivering, but that could also be because of the huge life change our family was going through.

Your question made me curious if it was really true, so I dug around and found this article - http://matthew.dynevor.org/_downloads/m ... memory.pdf (published in a journal called Psychoneuroendocrinology). According to this article, much of this memory loss from the hormones would have already happened by now during your pregnancy, so if you haven't noticed it yet I doubt you will notice a great change. This article also mentions that an estrogen deficit is a pretty big issue and oxytocin seems to mainly lessen motor learning, which doesn't matter for the bar. So I wonder if you could go on birth control pills right after you delivered to start replacing estrogen which causes the actual memory recall deficits.

Interesting stuff... Ask your OB, but either way, I'm sure you will be heading into the exam with a happy heart, which can only help and probably will more than offset any memory loss that pregnancy and motherhood have brought!! :) Also, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”