Kaplan Final Review Scores

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey,

So I signed up for the Kaplan Final Review 3-Day Course (bc I didnt do that well on the Barbri Simulated MBE 4 weeks ago) and just took the exam and got a 121. Not sure what that means. Does anyone know the average for the exam? Or at least where Kaplan says you should be?

Thanks

User avatar
spaacecdt
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby spaacecdt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

According to the video, average is 105-108. Really low compared to Barbri-- could Kaplan questions really be that much harder?

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 pm

spaacecdt wrote:According to the video, average is 105-108. Really low compared to Barbri-- could Kaplan questions really be that much harder?


105? really?

Not sure about them being harder but they are definitely WAYYYY longer...and I think Barbri's are long as is

User avatar
spaacecdt
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby spaacecdt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 pm

spaacecdt wrote:According to the video, average is 105-108. Really low compared to Barbri-- could Kaplan questions really be that much harder?


Just curious-- did you do both Barbri's simulated MBE and the "Final MBE"? How did your scores compare (if you double the "Final MBE" score)?

I'm just wondering what scores look like when comparing Barbri's simulated MBE, Final MBE, and Kaplan's Final Review.

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:19 pm

spaacecdt wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:According to the video, average is 105-108. Really low compared to Barbri-- could Kaplan questions really be that much harder?


Just curious-- did you do both Barbri's simulated MBE and the "Final MBE"? How did your scores compare (if you double the "Final MBE" score)?

I'm just wondering what scores look like when comparing Barbri's simulated MBE, Final MBE, and Kaplan's Final Review.


So I did the Barbri Simulated MBE that they assign midway through the course (I think for us it was in week 4 or 5, early-mid June). The average for that was 110 and I tanked with a 103.

My Barbri Final MBE score was a 62, which I'm stoked about since the goal was a 60.

And I just scored a 121 on the Kaplan Final MBE. Seems like Barbri questions are harder but the PMBR questions were def way longer

User avatar
spaacecdt
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby spaacecdt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:24 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:According to the video, average is 105-108. Really low compared to Barbri-- could Kaplan questions really be that much harder?


Just curious-- did you do both Barbri's simulated MBE and the "Final MBE"? How did your scores compare (if you double the "Final MBE" score)?

I'm just wondering what scores look like when comparing Barbri's simulated MBE, Final MBE, and Kaplan's Final Review.


So I did the Barbri Simulated MBE that they assign midway through the course (I think for us it was in week 4 or 5, early-mid June). The average for that was 110 and I tanked with a 103.

My Barbri Final MBE score was a 62, which I'm stoked about since the goal was a 60.

And I just scored a 121 on the Kaplan Final MBE. Seems like Barbri questions are harder but the PMBR questions were def way longer


Thanks for the reply!

I've done all three, too. I've have improved only by a point or two in each iteration. I also found PMBR to be VERY wordy and the calls a bit more confusing-- with Barbri I could figure out the topic with a quick glance; Kaplan made me dig a bit more.

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 pm

spaacecdt wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I've done all three, too. I've have improved only by a point or two in each iteration. I also found PMBR to be VERY wordy and the calls a bit more confusing-- with Barbri I could figure out the topic with a quick glance; Kaplan made me dig a bit more.


No worries. If you're looking for a way to improve your MBE scores, I was told, for each incorrect question I answer, to write out a rule. I put all those rules into their own outline and since I've been doing that, my scores have gone up considerably.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:51 pm

barbri sim MBE - 123
barbri final mbe - 51

the two tests aren't comparable because the final is all level 5/6 testing exceptions and exceptions to exceptions, whereas the sim MBE is just tough questions mixed in with fundamentals. been blowing past goals on other tests (75-85%), but haven't taken kaplan.

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby blong4133 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:32 am

c3pO4 wrote:barbri sim MBE - 123
barbri final mbe - 51

the two tests aren't comparable because the final is all level 5/6 testing exceptions and exceptions to exceptions, whereas the sim MBE is just tough questions mixed in with fundamentals. been blowing past goals on other tests (75-85%), but haven't taken kaplan.


When you say "final" are you talking about the one in the front or back of the book. We don't have the "final" mbe until after we've gone back through to review and memorize all the MBE stuff.

If you're talking about the half-day exam in the front of the MPQ2 book, then we're both in almost the exact same situation.

I got a 120 on the midterm, then a 55 on the half-day exam. I'm starting to get pretty freaked out, because I don't feel like I'm improving anywhere because I just feel like every time I start feeling comfortable about a particular subject, something else is getting thrown at me.

I was doing pretty well on the Mixed Qeustion sets. Had a 45, 43, 40, 38 and a 33(set 9 which 33 was the benchmark). But I just don't feel like I've been able to keep everything in the memory banks. I was supposed to memorize constitutional law yesterday, and I don't feel like I remember much of anything. Did the drills set and got a 10 out of 17 (benchmark was 11).

But needless to say, I'm starting to doubt myself. I felt Ok about everything up until now. I want to spend some time on the essays, because you can't really guess on those and still get full credit. But I don't want to forget about making sure I'm good on the MBE, because it's 50% of our overall score. I'm just getting extremely overwhelmed with all the info we have to retain to pass this damn thing. (As I'm sure most people are).

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:42 pm

blong4133 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:barbri sim MBE - 123
barbri final mbe - 51

the two tests aren't comparable because the final is all level 5/6 testing exceptions and exceptions to exceptions, whereas the sim MBE is just tough questions mixed in with fundamentals. been blowing past goals on other tests (75-85%), but haven't taken kaplan.


When you say "final" are you talking about the one in the front or back of the book. We don't have the "final" mbe until after we've gone back through to review and memorize all the MBE stuff.

If you're talking about the half-day exam in the front of the MPQ2 book, then we're both in almost the exact same situation.

I got a 120 on the midterm, then a 55 on the half-day exam. I'm starting to get pretty freaked out, because I don't feel like I'm improving anywhere because I just feel like every time I start feeling comfortable about a particular subject, something else is getting thrown at me.

I was doing pretty well on the Mixed Qeustion sets. Had a 45, 43, 40, 38 and a 33(set 9 which 33 was the benchmark). But I just don't feel like I've been able to keep everything in the memory banks. I was supposed to memorize constitutional law yesterday, and I don't feel like I remember much of anything. Did the drills set and got a 10 out of 17 (benchmark was 11).

But needless to say, I'm starting to doubt myself. I felt Ok about everything up until now. I want to spend some time on the essays, because you can't really guess on those and still get full credit. But I don't want to forget about making sure I'm good on the MBE, because it's 50% of our overall score. I'm just getting extremely overwhelmed with all the info we have to retain to pass this damn thing. (As I'm sure most people are).


i tend to believe the MBE review lady that memorization comes from repetition. my theory about this test is that it's only possible to retain ~75% of the total tested material in your brain at any given time, so you will always only remember the 75% of shit you most recently reviewed/saw. that's why nobody goes in and drops 90% on the bar exam. good thing is, though, that 75% raw is not just passing, but a dominant score. idk i will never expect to get above ~50% on these barbri ultra-advanced questions (like the simulated final MBE in the back of the book, and I've heard the half-day is like that too) and i don't really think that = fail the bar. feeling good. we've been studying for almost two months, it's time to make it happen!

mness
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby mness » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:43 pm

I got a 136 on the Kaplan final MBE, which was somewhat disappointing, as I scored a 142 on the midterm. I know it was harder, but I had hoped that I had improved since the midterm.

Also, LOL at the Kaplan state essay grading BS. Nearly every essay I submit comes back as below or even "well below" the standard. On the grid, they check off that I hit every issue, but then there is either no check or a half check for rule, analysis, and conclusion. They completely ignore my rule, analysis, and conclusion if it is not verbatim what is in Kaplan's sample answer. My conclusion will state something like "the creditor can attach the $10,000 distribution from the trust, but not Joe's interest in the trust itself." They give me no credit for a conclusion, when theirs is "only Brian's $10,000 distribution from the trust can be attached by the creditor." :roll: It frightens me that I keep receiving such poor grades on the essays, but I seriously doubt that the person reviewing my bar essay would give me zero points for that.

oklahomabreakdown
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Just got a 127 on the Kaplan Final MBE. Very disappointed. I got a 149 on the mid-term, but using the scales for each test, the scores comes out the same. Not sure what to think. I guess trust Kaplan.?

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

oklahomabreakdown wrote:Just got a 127 on the Kaplan Final MBE. Very disappointed. I got a 149 on the mid-term, but using the scales for each test, the scores comes out the same. Not sure what to think. I guess trust Kaplan.?


Where do find these scales?

Also, can anyone who took Kaplan last year maybe comment on how accurate the scaling is to the real thing?

oklahomabreakdown
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Kaplan Final Review Scores

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

The start of the final mbe review video. They tell you that you should apply a 30 point scale based on their observations over time.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: admiringatticus and 7 guests