Picking a Journal: Does it matter which secondary you do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
valleygirl90

Picking a Journal: Does it matter which secondary you do?

Postby valleygirl90 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:12 am

I was invited to multiple journals at my school...just wondering does it really matter for OCI which one I do? They are all ranked similarly in terms of citation, but the subject matters vary: entertainment, international, etc.

thanks.

Birdnals

Re: Picking a Journal: Does it matter which secondary you do?

Postby Birdnals » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:20 am

I believe the prevailing opinion is do one which will allow you to write your note in the area of law you want to practice. So if you want to do M&A work then pick international so you can write on the subject of international mergers or entertainment and write on the subject of record mergers or something.

Think about what you want your note to be about, and pick the journal that would be best suited for it.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:55 pm

The one w/the least work. Not even kidding. You will just cite check and pull sources, that is it. So does it matter if its about water laws in national parks or international mergers? I personally do not think so.

I guess maybe some journals are different, but I was never asked a damn thing about my law review note. All employers cared about was that there was a journal. I got to pick w/e topic I wanted, did not make it any more interesting in the end.

That said... Picking say J. of International Business sounds less fishy than say J. of the Law and Shakespeare.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Seconding the one with the least work. Look for one with no note requirement.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 pm

shock259 wrote:Seconding the one with the least work. Look for one with no note requirement.

In a similar vein, go with a journal where you can 1. fulfil your writing requirement with your note, and 2. your note and still get writing credit.

Also, if you want E-board for 3L yr, go with the journal that allows you to have the highest ranked position with the least amount of work. Note, EiC will probably be a ton of work no matter the journal, but lesser positions will vary in workload.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Least amount of work first year, and most impressive-sounding title with the least amount of work the final year. Definitely.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm

I would just spend your time doing fun stuff. It won't really help you anyway.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 pm

kalvano wrote:Least amount of work first year, and most impressive-sounding title with the least amount of work the final year. Definitely.

^

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm

lack of note requirement is key. for workload, ask the editors, but you can get a rough idea by checking how many issues they publish a year. fewer is better.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”