Software to speed up BarBri lectures? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tx1987

Bronze

Software to speed up BarBri lectures?

Post by tx1987 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:19 am

Hi everyone. I am trying to speed up my BarBri lectures. I found a great program with a 7-day free trial, but, alas!, my trial has expired (the program is called, "Enounce," if anyone is interested). Does anyone know of any other way to speed up the lectures? Thank you!

fanlinxun

Bronze

Re: Software to speed up BarBri lectures?

Post by fanlinxun » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks for the post! I am looking forward to a week of not having to waste three hours listening to a professor repeat everything 3 times. A link to a free tool for this would be awesome.

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:18 am

fanlinxun wrote:Thanks for the post! I am looking forward to a week of not having to waste three hours listening to a professor repeat everything 3 times. A link to a free tool for this would be awesome.
Here is the link: http://www.enounce.com/myspeed.

I actually figured out how to do it another way, too.

1. Download iFunbox (http://www.i-funbox.com/) onto your computer
2. Download Barbri app onto your phone
3. Download lectures in the Barbri app onto your phone/iPad
4. Use iFunbox to transfer the lectures from your phone to your computer
5. Watch at faster speed in VLC Player

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Enounce didn't work for me at all. Whenever I'd speed it up there'd be buffer problems.

I ended up doing the iexplorer thing. There are ways around having to pay for it also.

Jacques_Bentley

New

Post by Jacques_Bentley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:56 pm

goodolgil wrote:Enounce didn't work for me at all. Whenever I'd speed it up there'd be buffer problems.

I ended up doing the iexplorer thing. There are ways around having to pay for it also.
I have the same problem with Enounce. All of the the extra buffering completely negates any speed advantage that the software otherwise would have granted in terms of total time saved. I've been having a hell of a time trying to find alternative means of doing this...

Could you please elaborate on the iexplorer method? Thanks so much!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:04 pm

If the lectures are separate files then I have a solution (I dont use Barbri)

WavePad sound editor, free as long as you certify you are using it for personal use.

--LinkRemoved--

Its a great program and you can change the voice file to any speed you desire.

Jacques_Bentley

New

Post by Jacques_Bentley » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 am

iShotFirst wrote:If the lectures are separate files then I have a solution (I dont use Barbri)

WavePad sound editor, free as long as you certify you are using it for personal use.

--LinkRemoved--

There are plenty of good ways to speed up sound files once they're on your hard drive. The problem is that barbri only lets you stream the lectures; it doesn't let you download them. And they're pretty strict about copyright violations, warning that if we download (even for immediate personal use only), they'll not only take legal action but also notify the board of law/bar examiners re: character and fitness, etc. So they basically ensure that no one can download their lectures, even for personal use. Meanwhile, their bandwidth is so pathetic that if you try to speed up the stream to anything faster than the normal speed, it'll stop and stutter so badly that all of the delays you'll get will completely negate the time you might have saved by speeding up the lecture.

It seems to me that barbri has left its customers with no viable alternatives to watching their lectures at the normal (read: dreadfully slow) pace. But if any of the more technically savvy TLSers have a time-saving solution that's both legal and effective, I and I'm sure many others would be very appreciative!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:11 am

Jacques_Bentley wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:If the lectures are separate files then I have a solution (I dont use Barbri)

--LinkRemoved--

There are plenty of good ways to speed up sound files once they're on your hard drive. The problem is that barbri only lets you stream the lectures; it doesn't let you download them. And they're pretty strict about copyright violations, warning that if we download (even for immediate personal use only), they'll not only take legal action but also notify the board of law/bar examiners re: character and fitness, etc. So they basically ensure that no one can download their lectures, even for personal use. Meanwhile, their bandwidth is so pathetic that if you try to speed up the stream to anything faster than the normal speed, it'll stop and stutter so badly that all of the delays you'll get will completely negate the time you might have saved by speeding up the lecture.

It seems to me that barbri has left its customers with no viable alternatives to watching their lectures at the normal (read: dreadfully slow) pace. But if any of the more technically savvy TLSers have a time-saving solution that's both legal and effective, I and I'm sure many others would be very appreciative!
BarBri lets you dl the lectures to your smartphone/tablet through the app. The lectures will stay on your phone hard drive for 2 weeks or you can delete them before that. This link details how to play the videos through your phone on your computer, except the relevant program is now called "iExplorer" instead of "PhoneDisk." --LinkRemoved--

I don't see how just playing the video on your computer through your phone is any violation of copyright as no copy is being made (I took copyright in LS, but if any scholars here want to chime in, I could be wrong).

Jacques_Bentley

New

Post by Jacques_Bentley » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:22 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Jacques_Bentley wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

BarBri lets you dl the lectures to your smartphone/tablet through the app. The lectures will stay on your phone hard drive for 2 weeks or you can delete them before that. This link details how to play the videos through your phone on your computer, except the relevant program is now called "iExplorer" instead of "PhoneDisk." --LinkRemoved--

I don't see how just playing the video on your computer through your phone is any violation of copyright as no copy is being made (I took copyright in LS, but if any scholars here want to chime in, I could be wrong).
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like it'll take a bit of setup but I'll look into it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Dat Themis lets you just hit a button for 1.5 or 2x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”