Florida Bar Exam Predictions? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
iShotFirst

Bronze

Florida Bar Exam Predictions?

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 am

Any Florida bar exam predictions floating around?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Re: Florida Bar Exam Predictions?

Post by SAOJD10 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 am

Essays:

Real property (w/homestead)
Florida Con Law (declaration of rights/legislative stuff)
Secured/Commercial Paper or Trusts

I know in February they tested Contracts, Family law, and Torts (defamation) so just making predictions

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

You really think they'd throw a full commercial paper/secured trans essay at as? I'd think they'd test it along with property, but not a whole essay on secured trans...... or at least this is what I'm hoping (praying)

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Also are you all doing the practice q's in the FLT? I feel so behind :(

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Really dreading a commercial paper essay (hopefully it doesn't come up), really don't know that area very much. I also went to an out of state law school so I am not as familiar with some of the Florida rules. What bar prep is everyone using? And sorry for my ignorance but what does FLT stand for?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:Essays:

Real property (w/homestead)
Florida Con Law (declaration of rights/legislative stuff)
Secured/Commercial Paper or Trusts

I know in February they tested Contracts, Family law, and Torts (defamation) so just making predictions
Real property and secured transactions essays on same administration, that would be brutal.

From what I've read wouldn't be surprised to see a trusts essay on there though.
rnf1292 wrote:Also are you all doing the practice q's in the FLT? I feel so behind :(
Florida Testing I and II I assume, for Barbri? I've been doing a few here and there, they seem just to test only distinctions from the outlines and not much else, not sure if that is typical for the real questions on Day 1.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Dood I'd rather have commercial paper than secured. Commercial paper seems mainly about whether the dood can be a holder in due course or whatever. I haven't looked at secured since the lecture. Oh lawdy I gotta study.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:04 pm

FL con law. UGH.

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Anyone know what a good raw score on the MBE is to pass in Florida? I have heard some conflicting things but I thought they generally add about 15 pts to your raw score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 pm

rsg87 wrote:Anyone know what a good raw score on the MBE is to pass in Florida? I have heard some conflicting things but I thought they generally add about 15 pts to your raw score.
10-15 usually

So aim for a 126

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rsg87 wrote:Anyone know what a good raw score on the MBE is to pass in Florida? I have heard some conflicting things but I thought they generally add about 15 pts to your raw score.
10-15 usually

So aim for a 126
Any idea what to shoot for with the essays and state Multiple Choice? Sorry for all the questions, the grading really confuses me.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:15 pm

I find the grading confusing as well. I've found the FLT multiple choice questions to be really tricky so definitely not looking forward to the Florida portion.

Also, if we see a contracts essay will that for sure not be tested on MC??

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Info from Stetson's website:

"To pass the Florida portion you must obtain an average essay score of 45 out of 100 and get 55% or more multiple choice questions correct. You must have a scaled score of 136.

To pass the MBE portion you must get 65% or more multiple choice questions correct. You must have a scaled score of 136."

Not sure how accurate that is...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Where's everyone at in terms of memorization for the essays/MC? 2 weeks out!

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Where's everyone at in terms of memorization for the essays/MC? 2 weeks out!

Took a 100 question MC FL Practice Exam. It was pretty rough, 55%. Still have a lot of memorization left to do. I have found condensing outlines works for me, so I started to do that. Still a little ways to go. I really just want to get it over with.

For essays, unless they are graded and I am getting feedback, I just outline my answers on the practice questions. I think I am getting the TRAC method down finally. Working on perfecting rule statements, memorizing the law and issue spotting.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 am

How much are you guys prepping for the new subjects?

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I am really trying to weigh the costs and benefits of the new stuff as I find commercial paper and secured transactions pretty tough. Also the juvenile delinquency is tedious for me. I am studying it, but I wouldn't say I am mastering any of it to the same degree of the other material. I am hoping it doesn't show up but if it does only as a small component of an essay.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:17 pm

What type of stuff has barbri or themis given out regarding juvenile delinquency. Kaplan included a section that only discussed the "youthful offender act." I purchased the Florida bar outlines and its section on juvenile delinquency is only 2 pages. What has BARBRI given out regarding the subject?

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

For the new subjects UCC 3/9 I just basically memorized a short 4/5 page outline with some good mnenomics, I figure that will be enough to get some points if it shows up as a sub-issue. I cant imagine they would do a full essay on that stuff. My theory is that they wont test it until next year/year after because (going out on a limb/longshot/random hope here) we were almost finished law school without really being on notice about the new stuff.

Agree that juvenile delinquency is pretty dry/tedious.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Yes secured trans and comm paper are quite complicated and its going to take a lot of effort for me to really learn it, but then again the thought of going in unprepared for an essay is terrifying.

Also has anyone gotten an admission ticket, or heard from the bar at all other than notification of all materials being received?

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23 pm

I received an admission ticket when I first applied to the bar - it came in the packet stating what stuff they board had received

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Oh haha yea you're right it definitely came with that first letter. Glad I asked.

What are people aiming for on the FLT exams?

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:29 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Oh haha yea you're right it definitely came with that first letter. Glad I asked.

What are people aiming for on the FLT exams?
The consensus from all the my friends who took it last year was that the Florida Multiple choice was the hardest section. I hope to pick extra points on the essay and aim to get a little over half the multiple choice right.

limibos

New

Post by limibos » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:26 pm

I think its almost a sure thing that Real Property and FL Con Law will be on the essays. Also throw in Ethics. Trusts is also a likely topic. Hoping for a Fam Law question, but it was tested in Feb. so who knows.

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 am

I am guessing there won't be a contracts essay since it has been tested on the last two exams.

Property has to be a given because they didn't test it in Feb. I would not be shocked if we get a real property question with secured transactions as well. Some of the essays from the Mass Bar (yeah I am taking both Mass and Fla) have had secured tested with property and usually they are talking about fixtures. A commercial building with a couple mortgages and then a security interest on a fixture on that building. Maybe something like an AC attached to the roof.

Otherwise I think we are looking at Torts, Trusts and Fla Con Law. They have tested family law a lot recently so I am hoping we don't see that. Fla Con law is due. Also, there will be 1-2 PR issues I am guessing.

How are you guys doing on the practice essays? It seems like the model answers are kitchen sink answers. Just spit out as much law as you know that is even remotely related. Pretty frustrating.

My predictions 1) Real Prop/Secured 2) Trusts/PR 3) Fla Con Law. If not probably torts. They tested defamation in feb so it will probably be negligence related.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”