When to take classes Pass/Fail?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
superbloom

When to take classes Pass/Fail?

Postby superbloom » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

Soon to be 2L, at a TT barely above median. I wrote-on to LR, and I know to expect next semester to be brutal. However, I was planning on taking Evidence (4 credits) and Admin Law (3 credits) as well as 5 credits worth of "easy" classes. I know I should focus on raising my GPA, but I also would like to take these two "difficult" classes.

Should I perhaps take a class as a Pass/Fail? It would alleviate some stress, but then again it would make it even more difficult to raise my GPA. At the same time if I do poorly in a class, I run the risk of losing my (substantial) scholarship. I dont know the grading schemes for these courses (upper level classes vary between curve and no curve) but during 1L, professors gave C's to roughly 10% of each class (I was lucky to avoid C's).

Bikeflip

Re: When to take classes Pass/Fail?

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm

1. Find out your school's curving policies. They're usually in the student handbook. Many schools curve any class over 20 students.

2. I took P/F courses 3L yr so I could dick around.

3. How easy are the easy credits?

superbloom

Re: When to take classes Pass/Fail?

Postby superbloom » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Upper level courses are not required to be set to curves, but the professor has discretion. I talked to a 3L who said the Evidence class isn't curved, but he still said the professor gave out "lots of B's". The "easy" classes should be A-'s or B+'s at the worst. I can take one Pass/Fail per semester and I am certainly planning on taking two my 3L year. I'm leaning against Pass/Fail for 2L classes now.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”