Books, books, books

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Young Marino

Books, books, books

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:05 pm

So I will be matriculating August 2014 and was wondering what books to read in the mean time. I've heard LEEWS and Getting To Maybe are 2 must haves. Right now I'm reading Law School Confidential by Miller and it's not bad but it does not have a lot of info pertaining to exams. Is there a preference among TLS relating to LEEWS or GTM?

kaiser

Re: Books, books, books

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm

ALeal90 wrote:So I will be matriculating August 2014 and was wondering what books to read in the mean time. I've heard LEEWS and Getting To Maybe are 2 must haves. Right now I'm reading Law School Confidential by Miller and it's not bad but it does not have a lot of info pertaining to exams. Is there a preference among TLS relating to LEEWS or GTM?

Ask this question in a year from now. If you do any of this preparation, that is when you would be doing it, not now. I highly recommend GTM over LEEWS, and I would read it in the month before you actually start school, so August 2013 (and also re-reading mid-semester once things make sense). For now, don't do any kind of preparation. Just have some fun and relax for now.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:18 pm

ALeal90 wrote:So I will be matriculating August 2014 and was wondering what books to read in the mean time. I've heard LEEWS and Getting To Maybe are 2 must haves. Right now I'm reading Law School Confidential by Miller and it's not bad but it does not have a lot of info pertaining to exams. Is there a preference among TLS relating to LEEWS or GTM?

You should get access to as many exam databases as possible and start taking PTs. You definitely want to have taken at least six civ pro PTs before you start class. HTH

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 pm

kaiser wrote:

Ask this question in a year from now. If you do any of this preparation, that is when you would be doing it, not now. I highly recommend GTM over LEEWS, and I would read it in the month before you actually start school, so August 2013 (and also re-reading mid-semester once things make sense). For now, don't do any kind of preparation. Just have some fun and relax for now.

Point taken. But after a month of relaxing and doing nothing I feel ready to get back in the swing of academics (thanks to 17 straight years of school). I mean i am working a bullshit part time job and starting an internship with the mayor of my local gov't next week but nothing that's really intellectually challenging. Any reads you recommend for now though?

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:

You should get access to as many exam databases as possible and start taking PTs. You definitely want to have taken at least six civ pro PTs before you start class. HTH

I definitely want to see a few exams this year but idk about actually doing any. What would be the purpose if I hadn't seen any of the material anyway? I appreciate the response though

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 pm

It was a joke

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 pm

On a serious note, the best thing you can do at this point is study for the lsat and retake it to get as close to a 180 as possible. 0l prep is a flame and pointless aside from LEEWS and some other prep books, which you shouldn't even do until next summer anyway.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 am

I'm not aware of any studies pertaining to whether pre-law school prep is worthwhile. I've heard mixed reviews from people that have prepped.

If you're truly merely looking for intellectual stimulation, you can pick up a used Examples and Explanations edition on contracts, real property, or torts. They offer text along with sample questions and model answers. Other than learning silly terms such as res ipsa loquitur, replevin, trover, officious intermeddler, and the open mines doctrine, reading such books will probably not give you an advantage over your classmates.

whosonfirst

Postby whosonfirst » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Pick up some legal history books.
Last edited by whosonfirst on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

name of user

Postby name of user » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 am

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at what you've all suggested. I'll definitely read GTM and LEEWS beginning in May of 2014. As of now, I will stick to Law School confidential by Rob Miller and take a look at the other options you all have suggested. Thanks again!

KD35

Postby KD35 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:34 pm

There are a ton of threads about this...good place to start looking is
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26949

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:54 am

A Song of Ice and Fire series is pretty good.

goaheadualright

Postby goaheadualright » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm

listen to supreme court case oral arguments

http://www.oyez.org/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”