Barbri simulated exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
c3pO4

Silver

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am

bdepeyster wrote:138/200

I hate real property MBEs.
lol - the high score trolling ITT...

and yes, your trolling is obvious. nobody who studied hard enough to get 138/200 is dumb enough not to know what the target score is.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 am

c3pO4 wrote:
bdepeyster wrote:138/200

I hate real property MBEs.
lol - the high score trolling ITT...

and yes, your trolling is obvious. nobody who studied hard enough to get 138/200 is dumb enough not to know what the target score is.
I know, right? Wtf is up with all these dbag posts?

bdepeyster

New

Post by bdepeyster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 am

Sorry. Was not trying to be a dbag at all. Studying is getting to me and making me an asshole.

remz

New

Post by remz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

What is MEE?

Also, does BarBri only off one simulated MBE? Is it possible for us to take more than one so we have more practice?

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 pm

remz wrote:What is MEE?

Also, does BarBri only off one simulated MBE? Is it possible for us to take more than one so we have more practice?
MEE = Multi-state Essay Examination. Some states use it, some don't, while other states (like the one I'm hoping to practice in if I manage to pass) uses MEE's but you are to answer them according to state law.

In regards to your second question, there is a second simulated full day exam in the MPQ2 book. Mines at the office but there may even be another one (half day) in there as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I finally got my breakdown of the simulated mbe back yesterday. It was helpful to see that although I was in 97th percentile overall, I can improve drastically on impeachment and future estates.
What a boner. Who writes shit like this?
Law students

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 pm

nevdash wrote:
BarBri wrote:Because this exam is harder than the actual MBE, don’t worry if your score here is significantly lower than the average on the actual exam.
Except that it's not clear that this is true. In the introductory lecture, Professor Castro said, "The examination that you have just taken is much more difficult than the Multistate in the sense that the overwhelming majority of you will score much higher on the Multistate than you did on this practice test." Well, duh. Of course most of us will do better after another month of studying. That doesn't mean anything one way or the other about the difficulty of this exam relative to the actual MBE. It might be. I sincerely hope it is. But I think a lot of the perceived change in difficulty will come from better mastery of the material.

BlameTrain

New

Post by BlameTrain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
nevdash wrote:
BarBri wrote:Because this exam is harder than the actual MBE, don’t worry if your score here is significantly lower than the average on the actual exam.
Except that it's not clear that this is true. In the introductory lecture, Professor Castro said, "The examination that you have just taken is much more difficult than the Multistate in the sense that the overwhelming majority of you will score much higher on the Multistate than you did on this practice test." Well, duh. Of course most of us will do better after another month of studying. That doesn't mean anything one way or the other about the difficulty of this exam relative to the actual MBE. It might be. I sincerely hope it is. But I think a lot of the perceived change in difficulty will come from better mastery of the material.
I completely agree with this and have said this elsewhere on the BarBri threads that this is my biggest gripe with BarBri. If you want to test me on material I'm not really comfortable with yet, fine. If you want to make that exam harder than what I will see fine as well. If you believe that providing me with an opportunity to fail will motivate me to work harder than I already am, but in reality probably freak me out more than I am, I'm grudgingly down with that. But give me something (a grading rubric, etc.) that correlates to what this all comes out to on an actual MBE. It probably would help most of us de-stress a bit when we are entering 3-4 weeks of solid memorization/material absorption hell.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm

BlameTrain wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
nevdash wrote:
I completely agree with this and have said this elsewhere on the BarBri threads that this is my biggest gripe with BarBri. If you want to test me on material I'm not really comfortable with yet, fine. If you want to make that exam harder than what I will see fine as well. If you believe that providing me with an opportunity to fail will motivate me to work harder than I already am, but in reality probably freak me out more than I am, I'm grudgingly down with that. But give me something (a grading rubric, etc.) that correlates to what this all comes out to on an actual MBE. It probably would help most of us de-stress a bit when we are entering 3-4 weeks of solid memorization/material absorption hell.
But that would defeat Barbri's entire purpose.

I know that they've done such a good job, that I've been suffering from numerous anxiety attacks for the first time in my life over the past two weeks.

I do think, however, that the MBE will at least be more straight-forward. I notice a lot of questions where I don't even know what the hell they're asking. Or I read the call of the question, know what rule will apply and have an idea of what the answer is, and nothing even remotely similar to that rule in the answer choice. I did the first assigned set in the MPQ Mixed question set book, and did significantly better than I have done on any previous set. The questions seemed more straightforward and weren't filled with a bunch of crap. So I hope that these questions are more representative of the real thing.

But hell, in my panicked state, I've convinced myself that my score was due purely to luck, and that I'm still setting myself up to get completely and utterly destroyed in four weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

Two question complaints:

185. I thought this one was pretty easy if you knew what they were asking for and how to read the metes and bounds description, but what a ridiculous question. It has literally nothing to do with the law, and everything to do with geometry/orienteering/whatever.

135. Here we're given a murder statute which contains statutory definitions for the top two degrees. But then the answer to the question assumes that the statutory definition of murder "committed while the defendant is engaged in the commission of a dangerous felony" simply imports the common law rule that the felony in question must be independent from the act that takes the victim's life. Say what?

gonezo77

New

Post by gonezo77 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 pm

152/200

Not sure how much effort I should put in over the next three weeks (said in the non-douchiest way possible).

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:40 pm

gonezo77 wrote:152/200

Not sure how much effort I should put in over the next three weeks (said in the non-douchiest way possible).
similar boat, but i took the sim a few weeks ago. already have forgotten 20% of what I knew then and would probably get the same score today, not any better, and maybe worse.

i think u have to study just as hard up to the test to keep it all fresh. there's too much info otherwise.

remz

New

Post by remz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Are you at an actual LIVE lecture location because we haven't taken a simulated MBE exam yet at the taped locations (we take it tomorrow)? Also, I thought there are only 190 questions on BarBri's simualated MBE, rather than 200, am I incorrect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Keep studying. I had a similar score, and stopped studying MBE. The result was a major drop in my score on the half-day exam this weekend.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 pm

remz wrote:Are you at an actual LIVE lecture location because we haven't taken a simulated MBE exam yet at the taped locations (we take it tomorrow)? Also, I thought there are only 190 questions on BarBri's simualated MBE, rather than 200, am I incorrect?
I'm also online (Texas) and my simulated MBE was 6/29. The website and the flyer that came with the Scantron indicate that there are three grading days for the exam (6/25, 7/2, and 7/9), which seems to indicate that students are each assigned to one of the three Saturdays preceding those days.

As for the exam, it has 200 questions just like the real MBE. Unlike the real MBE, though, all 200 of the questions are scored instead of just 190. If you want to get an idea of what your scaled score might be at this point, you can take your percentage on the simulated MBE, multiply it by 190, and apply that raw score to a recent MBE scale such as this one.

remz

New

Post by remz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:57 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
remz wrote:Are you at an actual LIVE lecture location because we haven't taken a simulated MBE exam yet at the taped locations (we take it tomorrow)? Also, I thought there are only 190 questions on BarBri's simualated MBE, rather than 200, am I incorrect?
I'm also online (Texas) and my simulated MBE was 6/29. The website and the flyer that came with the Scantron indicate that there are three grading days for the exam (6/25, 7/2, and 7/9), which seems to indicate that students are each assigned to one of the three Saturdays preceding those days.

As for the exam, it has 200 questions just like the real MBE. Unlike the real MBE, though, all 200 of the questions are scored instead of just 190. If you want to get an idea of what your scaled score might be at this point, you can take your percentage on the simulated MBE, multiply it by 190, and apply that raw score to a recent MBE scale such as this one.
Thanks for the helpful info!!
When you get your score back does BarBri break it down by subject online? Like does BarBri tell you how many Property, Crim, Torts, etc. questions you got right and wrong?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 pm

remz wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

Thanks for the helpful info!!
When you get your score back does BarBri break it down by subject online? Like does BarBri tell you how many Property, Crim, Torts, etc. questions you got right and wrong?
Yes. They give you your raw score and percentile by subject, and maybe more info than that (I haven't gotten mine back yet). The back of your simulated MBE book has all the answers and their corresponding subjects, though, so it's not like you have to wait for Barbri. As long as you mark your answers in the book as you go, you can get your score right after the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 pm

TIL bar studying makes us bad human beings.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:47 pm

shepdawg wrote:

Keep studying. I had a similar score, and stopped studying MBE. The result was a major drop in my score on the half-day exam this weekend.
Yeah, same. 167/200 --> 75/100 two weeks later. Those questions felt brutal when the stuff wasn't fresh.

remz

New

Post by remz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:48 pm

152 is your raw score or scaled score?

gonezo77

New

Post by gonezo77 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

remz wrote:

152 is your raw score or scaled score?

152 was my raw score. I felt good about it until I heard about a 171 in our Barbri class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm

gonezo77 wrote:

152 was my raw score. I felt good about it until I heard about a 171 in our Barbri class.

no. comparing to the "best" score is so pointless. you should feel good about it.

PSA: goal is to pass. you're way above passing with that score. i got a 145 but i would have been completely stoked with a 120 or even a 112 which is average.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
gonezo77 wrote:

no. comparing to the "best" score is so pointless. you should feel good about it.

PSA: goal is to pass. you're way above passing with that score. i got a 145 but i would have been completely stoked with a 120 or even a 112 which is average.
got a 123 (3 weeks ago) and WAS stoked. now regularly hitting 75-85% on any quiz. let's try to get an A guys!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:48 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
gonezo77 wrote:

+Eleventy billion

To put this all in perspective, here's what you need to pass with that sort of an MBE score. These numbers are for Texas and use the July 2011 scale but should good enough to illustrate the general principle.

Passing Score: 675

MBE: 40%
152 simulated MBE = 76% = 144 raw MBE = 157.9 scaled MBE = 315.8 weighted score

MPT/Procedure & Evidence Exam: 20%
29th percentile performance = 135 scaled score = 135 weighted score
(You should obviously expect to do better than this, but this is kind of a "worst reasonable case" scenario.)

Essay Exam: 40%
675 - 315.8 - 135 = 224.2 weighted score = 112.1 scaled score
This score is somewhere between the 2nd and 4th percentiles

You're in a great spot. Don't burn out or freak out. Even if you get no better between the simulated MBE and the real thing, as long as you don't regress you're pretty much in "auto-pass" territory.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:06 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
gonezo77 wrote:

+Eleventy billion

To put this all in perspective, here's what you need to pass with that sort of an MBE score. These numbers are for Texas and use the July 2011 scale but should good enough to illustrate the general principle.

Passing Score: 675

MBE: 40%
152 simulated MBE = 76% = 144 raw MBE = 157.9 scaled MBE = 315.8 weighted score

MPT/Procedure & Evidence Exam: 20%
29th percentile performance = 135 scaled score = 135 weighted score
(You should obviously expect to do better than this, but this is kind of a "worst reasonable case" scenario.)

Essay Exam: 40%
675 - 315.8 - 135 = 224.2 weighted score = 112.1 scaled score
This score is somewhere between the 2nd and 4th percentiles

You're in a great spot. Don't burn out or freak out. Even if you get no better between the simulated MBE and the real thing, as long as you don't regress you're pretty much in "auto-pass" territory.
Where did you get the information on the percentiles for the Texas Essays? I have been trying to find that info and couldn't locate it anywhere

[Thanks for the post, BTW. Helps put things in perspective.]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”