Barbri simulated exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Barbri simulated exam

Postby usuaggie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Thoughts? The MEEs were a little rough on me for the topics I haven't looked at in a few weeks.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Is the simulated exam real MBE questions, or is it more BarBri Q's (or could you not tell)?

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 pm

BarBri wrote:Because this exam is harder than the actual MBE, don’t worry if your score here is significantly lower than the average on the actual exam.

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby blong4133 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:08 pm

I though the MEE wasn't too bad. I missed a few issues but I think that's just something I'll catch once I get some more studying in (hopefully). Those stupid MPT's are a pain in the ass though.

Got a 60 on each section for the MBE and got a 120. I don't know how to take that. I feel like I was guessing at almost every question. There's hardly ever an answer that I choose where I'm 100% sure. It's driving me nuts. And I got a 58 on the diagnostic so it's only a 2 point jump after all the studying I've put in.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 pm

blong4133 wrote:I though the MEE wasn't too bad. I missed a few issues but I think that's just something I'll catch once I get some more studying in (hopefully). Those stupid MPT's are a pain in the ass though.

Got a 60 on each section for the MBE and got a 120. I don't know how to take that. I feel like I was guessing at almost every question. There's hardly ever an answer that I choose where I'm 100% sure. It's driving me nuts. And I got a 58 on the diagnostic so it's only a 2 point jump after all the studying I've put in.


I'm guessing the diagnostic questions are meant to be much easier

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby blong4133 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:13 pm

kaiser wrote:
blong4133 wrote:I though the MEE wasn't too bad. I missed a few issues but I think that's just something I'll catch once I get some more studying in (hopefully). Those stupid MPT's are a pain in the ass though.

Got a 60 on each section for the MBE and got a 120. I don't know how to take that. I feel like I was guessing at almost every question. There's hardly ever an answer that I choose where I'm 100% sure. It's driving me nuts. And I got a 58 on the diagnostic so it's only a 2 point jump after all the studying I've put in.


I'm guessing the diagnostic questions are meant to be much easier


Me too. But it's still frustrating when I think about all the work I've put in to only see a 2 point jump. I get that this one was a lot harder considering it was twice as long, and the questions are likely harder. It still ticks me off though. haha

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 pm

blong4133 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
blong4133 wrote:I though the MEE wasn't too bad. I missed a few issues but I think that's just something I'll catch once I get some more studying in (hopefully). Those stupid MPT's are a pain in the ass though.

Got a 60 on each section for the MBE and got a 120. I don't know how to take that. I feel like I was guessing at almost every question. There's hardly ever an answer that I choose where I'm 100% sure. It's driving me nuts. And I got a 58 on the diagnostic so it's only a 2 point jump after all the studying I've put in.


I'm guessing the diagnostic questions are meant to be much easier


Me too. But it's still frustrating when I think about all the work I've put in to only see a 2 point jump. I get that this one was a lot harder considering it was twice as long, and the questions are likely harder. It still ticks me off though. haha


120 is pretty good... probably 60th percentile, definitely above 55.

translates to 135-140 raw if you are the typical barbri student between now and the real thing

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:22 pm

130 After feeling seriously ill during the second half (profuse sweating, debilitating nausea/dizziness, multiple room exits, dry mouth).

71 on 1st half then 59 on second half

Beware of energy drink OD

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby usuaggie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:10 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
blong4133 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
blong4133 wrote:I though the MEE wasn't too bad. I missed a few issues but I think that's just something I'll catch once I get some more studying in (hopefully). Those stupid MPT's are a pain in the ass though.

Got a 60 on each section for the MBE and got a 120. I don't know how to take that. I feel like I was guessing at almost every question. There's hardly ever an answer that I choose where I'm 100% sure. It's driving me nuts. And I got a 58 on the diagnostic so it's only a 2 point jump after all the studying I've put in.


I'm guessing the diagnostic questions are meant to be much easier


Me too. But it's still frustrating when I think about all the work I've put in to only see a 2 point jump. I get that this one was a lot harder considering it was twice as long, and the questions are likely harder. It still ticks me off though. haha




120 is pretty good... probably 60th percentile, definitely above 55.

translates to 135-140 raw if you are the typical barbri student between now and the real thing



66th last year --LinkRemoved--


I take the mbe part tomorrow

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm

I got a 150 on the simulated MBE today (76 on the front, 74 on the back). Up from a 59 on the diagnostic. Felt pretty good about it... I know there are still things I just don't know....

However, I have yet to do better than a 3 (out of 7) on the graded essays.... I'm starting to think they're fucking with me on those.... In my state, the MBE is only worth 1/3 of the game though.....

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I got a 150 on the simulated MBE today (76 on the front, 74 on the back). Up from a 59 on the diagnostic. Felt pretty good about it... I know there are still things I just don't know....

However, I have yet to do better than a 3 (out of 7) on the graded essays.... I'm starting to think they're fucking with me on those.... In my state, the MBE is only worth 1/3 of the game though.....


97th percentile? wow.. teach me your secrets lol

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:I got a 150 on the simulated MBE today (76 on the front, 74 on the back). Up from a 59 on the diagnostic. Felt pretty good about it... I know there are still things I just don't know....

However, I have yet to do better than a 3 (out of 7) on the graded essays.... I'm starting to think they're fucking with me on those.... In my state, the MBE is only worth 1/3 of the game though.....


97th percentile? wow.. teach me your secrets lol


Seriously? That can't be right....

I did all the AMPs..... I didn't do it like they say to do it - as I never clicked "i don't know" or "it's one of these 2". If I didn't know, I just guessed... But I did them all.... They were terrible and felt like a waste of time. But BarBri kept saying "it's science and we have nerds that figured out if you do it, you'll do better on the MBE". Not understanding much about science, but believing AMP was probably based on legit memory and learning science-y studies - I trusted it.

I also did all the study smart questions - and I did them all online because I like how they track the areas that I've been missing a lot of questions. I read the entire answer for every question I missed (and some that I got right, if I felt a little squishy about the question).

I haven't opened the CMR or the big outline book except to address specific questions - which has been like once or twice. I have been using the lecture outlines nearly exclusively. I also made note cards from the lecture outlines - I think from this point on, I'm just using the note cards and practice questions....

That all being said, I just moved to a new city and I don't really know many people, so I don't have many distractions. Also, I went to a tier 2 school and have a big law job lined up - so I kinda don't want to fuck this up. I'm studying 7 or 8 hours a day - everyday (which I don't think is unreasonable).

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:I got a 150 on the simulated MBE today (76 on the front, 74 on the back). Up from a 59 on the diagnostic. Felt pretty good about it... I know there are still things I just don't know....

However, I have yet to do better than a 3 (out of 7) on the graded essays.... I'm starting to think they're fucking with me on those.... In my state, the MBE is only worth 1/3 of the game though.....


97th percentile? wow.. teach me your secrets lol


Seriously? That can't be right....

I did all the AMPs..... I didn't do it like they say to do it - as I never clicked "i don't know" or "it's one of these 2". If I didn't know, I just guessed... But I did them all.... They were terrible and felt like a waste of time. But BarBri kept saying "it's science and we have nerds that figured out if you do it, you'll do better on the MBE". Not understanding much about science, but believing AMP was probably based on legit memory and learning science-y studies - I trusted it.

I also did all the study smart questions - and I did them all online because I like how they track the areas that I've been missing a lot of questions. I read the entire answer for every question I missed (and some that I got right, if I felt a little squishy about the question).

I haven't opened the CMR or the big outline book except to address specific questions - which has been like once or twice. I have been using the lecture outlines nearly exclusively. I also made note cards from the lecture outlines - I think from this point on, I'm just using the note cards and practice questions....

That all being said, I just moved to a new city and I don't really know many people, so I don't have many distractions. Also, I went to a tier 2 school and have a big law job lined up - so I kinda don't want to fuck this up. I'm studying 7 or 8 hours a day - everyday (which I don't think is unreasonable).


nice. I've only done about half the study smart's. i skipped half of the amps and actually did better in subjects where i did the amps so yea, gonna go back and do those... this sounds like a good plan. and yes, i'm not kidding. you are in the top 5% at worst. nice work

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby usuaggie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:40 pm

70 on the front end 63 on the back. I had 40/50 the first 50 and thought I was cruising...


But I'm happy. It puts me around the 85th percentile from last year.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Took my practice one today. 117 (64 front, 53 back)

I just feel "meh" about it. It went alright, but not great. I'm not really sure what I was doing after lunch. I missed 15 of the first 25 and 36 of the first 50. It didn't get much better from there obviously.. Maybe it's just the fatigue factor, but my heart was sinking fast as I scored the back. And the back didn't feel hard other than the last 20 where I knew I was guessing a lot.

I'm looking forward to the Barbri breakdown. I think I had more contracts issues than I should have. I also think I got tripped up too often on hearsay.

Based on forum rumors, ~110 is average for the Barbri Practice MBE. I figure if 84% of PA takers pass, and I'm a few points above people taking Barbri, I'm on rack.

rnf1292
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby rnf1292 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 pm

I got a 109 which was only the 36%th percentile. Discouraging to say the least, especially since I haven't exactly been slacking.... :shock:

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby blong4133 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:50 pm

rnf1292 wrote:I got a 109 which was only the 36%th percentile. Discouraging to say the least, especially since I haven't exactly been slacking.... :shock:


Don't sweat it. Go watch the analysis lectures. I was only planning to watch the ones for the questions I missed, but I'm finding that they are very helpful at picking apart the questions and really figuring out how to attack them. I'm also finding that I made a lot of stupid mistakes (getting answers wrong that I knew because I missed an important fact).

Take it as a learning opportunity. That's why they do this. Look over the stuff, think about why you got it wrong, and focus on the stuff you're having trouble with. You've got plenty of time to get the score up. I wasn't too happy with my score but I've read on other forums of people getting 100's on the simulated exam, then pulling 140's - to high 150's on the real thing (scaled scores).

Just keep trucking along. That's the approach I'm taking at least. One month and you'll never have to worry about it again.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:57 pm

blong4133 wrote:
rnf1292 wrote:I got a 109 which was only the 36%th percentile. Discouraging to say the least, especially since I haven't exactly been slacking.... :shock:


Don't sweat it. Go watch the analysis lectures. I was only planning to watch the ones for the questions I missed, but I'm finding that they are very helpful at picking apart the questions and really figuring out how to attack them. I'm also finding that I made a lot of stupid mistakes (getting answers wrong that I knew because I missed an important fact).

Take it as a learning opportunity. That's why they do this. Look over the stuff, think about why you got it wrong, and focus on the stuff you're having trouble with. You've got plenty of time to get the score up. I wasn't too happy with my score but I've read on other forums of people getting 100's on the simulated exam, then pulling 140's - to high 150's on the real thing (scaled scores).

Just keep trucking along. That's the approach I'm taking at least. One month and you'll never have to worry about it again.


also, based on barbri passage rates the 36% percentile, and even the 26% percentile, will pass

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Where are you guys getting these percentiles? I got 132/200 right. Do I need to scale that score somehow first? Where does that put me?

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby blong4133 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Where are you guys getting these percentiles? I got 132/200 right. Do I need to scale that score somehow first? Where does that put me?


According to last year's results, a 132 would probably put you at about the 84th percentile, give or take. So you're on track to kill it.

A previous poster posted a link about half-way up the thread that contains a document with last year's stats from the simulated MBE.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby shepdawg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 pm

I finally got my breakdown of the simulated mbe back yesterday. It was helpful to see that although I was in 97th percentile overall, I can improve drastically on impeachment and future estates.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 pm

shepdawg wrote:I finally got my breakdown of the simulated mbe back yesterday. It was helpful to see that although I was in 97th percentile overall, I can improve drastically on impeachment and future estates.


was this humblebrag necessary

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby shepdawg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:05 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I finally got my breakdown of the simulated mbe back yesterday. It was helpful to see that although I was in 97th percentile overall, I can improve drastically on impeachment and future estates.


was this humblebrag necessary


Yes? I never brag. I am as humble as Jesus.


and... umad?

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:22 pm

shepdawg wrote:I finally got my breakdown of the simulated mbe back yesterday. It was helpful to see that although I was in 97th percentile overall, I can improve drastically on impeachment and future estates.


What a boner. Who writes shit like this?

bdepeyster
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Barbri simulated exam

Postby bdepeyster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 am

138/200

I hate real property MBEs.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests