California Bar - Out of State Student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onceagain2zelda

California Bar - Out of State Student

Postby onceagain2zelda » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 pm

I am currently in law school in Boston but with OCI around the corner, I am seriously considering jobs in CA. I was just wondering if anyone could make sense of what their bar requirements were for students at out of state law schools? I notice there is a first year law student exam, and I can find info for people in accredited CA schools, non-accredited CA schools, and foreign schools, but nothing about people at accredited non-CA schools...

There is every possibility I am just missing this info completely, and its all there on the website, but I thought I would toss it out to this wise bunch.

Basically, what do I have to do if I want to practice in CA right out of school?

TaipeiMort

Re: California Bar - Out of State Student

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 am

onceagain2zelda wrote:I am currently in law school in Boston but with OCI around the corner, I am seriously considering jobs in CA. I was just wondering if anyone could make sense of what their bar requirements were for students at out of state law schools? I notice there is a first year law student exam, and I can find info for people in accredited CA schools, non-accredited CA schools, and foreign schools, but nothing about people at accredited non-CA schools...

There is every possibility I am just missing this info completely, and its all there on the website, but I thought I would toss it out to this wise bunch.

Basically, what do I have to do if I want to practice in CA right out of school?

You need the register with the bar. Then, register for the bar exam. Nothing else. You waive out of the first year lse by attending an ABA school that fulfills their reqs, which yours does.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 am

Separate question. When does day three get out? I am trying to figure out if I can catch a flight.

onceagain2zelda

Postby onceagain2zelda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 am

Thank you!

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Separate question. When does day three get out? I am trying to figure out if I can catch a flight.

Aren't all of the days 9:00-12:00, then 1:00-4:00? Also, are you taking the test in and flying out of Ontario? If so, the airport is tiny so getting through security is easy, and it's super close to the testing site (like, down the street).

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:15 pm

nevdash wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Separate question. When does day three get out? I am trying to figure out if I can catch a flight.

Aren't all of the days 9:00-12:00, then 1:00-4:00? Also, are you taking the test in and flying out of Ontario? If so, the airport is tiny so getting through security is easy, and it's super close to the testing site (like, down the street).

I wish, I was assigned to Santa Clara and may have to fly out of Oakland. Ontario airport is probably my favorite CA airport for getting in and out.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:55 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
nevdash wrote:

I wish, I was assigned to Santa Clara and may have to fly out of Oakland. Ontario airport is probably my favorite CA airport for getting in and out.

Ouch, sorry man. Don't get mugged.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Think it's possible to get on a 7:10 flight out of Sacramento?

Edit: Answering my own question in part, the afternoon session doesn't start until 1:45 and may not let out until after 5pm.
--LinkRemoved--

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am

Reinhardt wrote:Think it's possible to get on a 7:10 flight out of Sacramento?

Edit: Answering my own question in part, the afternoon session doesn't start until 1:45 and may not let out until after 5pm.
--LinkRemoved--

Probably not because it's rush hour then.

bdepeyster

Postby bdepeyster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 am

Reinhardt wrote:Think it's possible to get on a 7:10 flight out of Sacramento?

--LinkRemoved--

No way. It is a pain in the ass to get from Santa Clara to Sac. If you are dead set on leaving that night, fly out of San Jose.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:37 am

Thankfully, I'm taking the exam in Sacramento, but I still decided not to risk it. No need to have that to worry about during the last performance test.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”