Navy Jag Direct Appointment

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Serpico

Navy Jag Direct Appointment

Postby Serpico » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Interesting (at this point unexpected) situation. My son just returned to the U.S. and received a message that he had been selected to report to Newport in August as a Direct Appointment Navy Jag. This is the first contact the Navy has had with him since his recruiter told him "everyone is on hold" in December. He was an alternate at one point. While he is incredibly honored (couldn't hardly speak) he is in a unique situation where he is making a very significant amount of money over the next year or year and a half, enough to pay off all student loans and set him up quite well beyond that. He is understandably torn because money is certainly a real need but he feels very strongly about Jag. Is there such a thing as deferral, i.e. accept the commission effective 2014? (He is obviously aware of how competitive it is; his first step in the application process started in October 2011). Any advice?

BeautifulSW

Re: Navy Jag Direct Appointment

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Congratulations are definitely in order!

I remember years ago that you either did it their way or they would find someone else. I don't know how it is now but I don't think it would hurt to ask. Of course, if he's already taken the oath (guess not?) that's your answer.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Money vs. a career he is passionate about. I'd like to believe there are some people out there that would still choose the latter.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah but big debt is big debt and the chance to pay it off is rare. I agree, though...I have never regretted a single instant of my Navy time.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm

My guess is that he will not be able to defer. They have a certain number of spots to fill this Fiscal Year. Likely they will just move to the next alternate.

Serpico

Postby Serpico » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for all the feedback. How long does he have to accept of decline? A couple of weeks? He is trying to contact his original recruiter (been transferred to the west coast); they were in touch with each other quite a bit throughout the process and his advice might be helpful in seeing how to proceed. To make it more "interesting" my son got the message the morning he returned from his honeymoon. Great "problem" to have; some tough choices ahead for them.

Ness Lee

Postby Ness Lee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Congrats to your son. I don't know how long he would have, but shouldn't there be something on the letter or call about it.

Serpico

Postby Serpico » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:00 pm

The recruiter followed up with an email to call and he has missed her twice but left a message each time. I would assume he would have a couple of weeks after the "formal" offer. His guess is "if" the deferral is a possibility, he would expect the Navy to require him to commit i.e., commission this summer. We'll see.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”