gpa listing

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
acercomp
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 am

gpa listing

Postby acercomp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:09 pm

just curious what the rules were for rounding gpa on resume. can i round a 3.48 to a 3.5? or 3.67 to 3.7?
thanks

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: gpa listing

Postby dudders » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

My school had specific rules about this; check with your CDO.

Otherwise the general rule is don't do it.

User avatar
Joe Quincy
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

Re: gpa listing

Postby Joe Quincy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Check with your school for OCI. Many require at least to 2 places and you must indicate the scale. So 3.48/4.33

Regardless I wouldn't round to 1 place. A 3.45 to 3.5 is the difference of like 10% of the class.

Hell, my school required to 3 places.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: gpa listing

Postby Icculus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

acercomp wrote:just curious what the rules were for rounding gpa on resume. can i round a 3.48 to a 3.5? or 3.67 to 3.7?
thanks


No. Generally it's two decimal places out.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: gpa listing

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 pm

I'll echo what everyone above has said. Don't do it. Rounding up your GPA can significantly change your class rank. Rounding a 3.55 to a 3.60, for instance, may be huge. (Plus, you didn't actually earn a 3.6 so it doesn't really make sense anyway.)

Would you round down your GPA if it were a 5.54?

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: gpa listing

Postby LexLeon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 pm

mr.hands wrote:I'll echo what everyone above has said. Don't do it. Rounding up your GPA can significantly change your class rank. Rounding a 3.55 to a 3.60, for instance, may be huge. (Plus, you didn't actually earn a 3.6 so it doesn't really make sense anyway.)

Would you round down your GPA if it were a 5.54?


Which school offers points beyond 5.5?

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: gpa listing

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:45 pm

LexLeon wrote:
mr.hands wrote:I'll echo what everyone above has said. Don't do it. Rounding up your GPA can significantly change your class rank. Rounding a 3.55 to a 3.60, for instance, may be huge. (Plus, you didn't actually earn a 3.6 so it doesn't really make sense anyway.)

Would you round down your GPA if it were a 5.54?


Which school offers points beyond 5.5?


lol that is an excellent point. 3.54 is what i meant. If someone had a 5.54, no one would care if they rounded down.

Today was a long day...




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests