What is the quickest way to improve grammar.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: What is the quickest way to improve grammar.

Postby Bronte » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Jsa725 wrote:use short sentence structure. HTH

This is good style advice. And I can add a piece of grammar advice that will help one achieve shorter sentences: it's perfectly acceptable, even desirable, to start sentences with conjunctions like "and," "but," or even "or" or "nor." Give it a try.

Postby jkay » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I start so many sentences with but it's borderline ridiculous.

I also find Garner's Modern American usage to be one of the most helpful books out there for proper usage of certain words. Maybe that's only quasi-grammar, but it works for me. I keep meaning to get Garner's Modern Legal Usage, too.

Postby Silverback » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm

For me, I have found that partaking in any chance I have to write has increased my writing dramatically, be it grammar or style. When I run into some sort of question or issue, I simply Google the matter and find a multitude of grammatical websites that prove to be useful.

If you are concerned about law review, I wouldn't be too worried about it. In my experience, many people on law review are not the best writers. Instead, they excel at the ultra practical skill of obscure bluebooking. Even if someone gets published, he will have his work reviewed enough by others to have all grammatical issues resolved in the end.

I believe that writing is a lifelong journey, and your style and skill evolves with frequent exercise.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”