Curves.......not the good kind either.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
InRemington

Curves.......not the good kind either.

Postby InRemington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 am

I recently read a thread where someone indicated 3.8 at Texas was aprox. top 15%, and the curve at some TTTT's, Florida Coastal for example dictates 3.8 would be top 1% - 2%. Is there a single place where curves across tiers are compared?

stillwater

Re: Curves.......not the good kind either.

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:31 am

InRemington wrote:I recently read a thread where someone indicated 3.8 at Texas was aprox. top 15%, and the curve at some TTTT's, Florida Coastal for example dictates 3.8 would be top 1% - 2%. Is there a single place where curves across tiers are compared?

its called rank and thereafter compared by a school's comparative strength

InRemington

Postby InRemington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 am

just like the rest of your posts...........you're a wealth of knowledge.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 am

InRemington wrote:just like the rest of your posts...........you're a wealth of knowledge.

thats 100% how its compared. crunch your class rank within your curve. then compare the strength of school. i dunno how else you think its done.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:41 am

The difference in school curves is not a meaningful or useful way to pick between schools.

InRemington

Postby InRemington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 am

bk1 wrote:The difference in school curves is not a meaningful or useful way to pick between schools.

not looking to pick between schools. Forgive me if this has been discussed in the past, I couldn't readily find a thread. The threads I did find people were surprised to learn 3.1 or so could get you a top 10% ranking at TTTT.

UCLA and Texas for example (17th and 15th ranking) but similar gpa's yeild different class ranks - 3.2 at UCLA was median in some given year, and 3.2 at Texas was "well below median". I can see the difference in Texas 3.2 being well below median and a TTTT 3.2 being top %'s as a direct correlation with school ranking, but what about schools so similarly ranked?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 am

InRemington wrote:
bk1 wrote:The difference in school curves is not a meaningful or useful way to pick between schools.

not looking to pick between schools. Forgive me if this has been discussed in the past, I couldn't readily find a thread. The threads I did find people were surprised to learn 3.1 or so could get you a top 10% ranking at TTTT.

UCLA and Texas for example (17th and 15th ranking) but similar gpa's yeild different class ranks - 3.2 at UCLA was median in some given year, and 3.2 at Texas was "well below median". I can see the difference in Texas 3.2 being well below median and a TTTT 3.2 being top %'s as a direct correlation with school ranking, but what about schools so similarly ranked?

then any strength would be given on the basis of rank. in other words, if 3.5 is top 10% at school A and 3.9 is top 10% at school B and they are considered peers, then those are the same in strength for all intents and purposes

InRemington

Postby InRemington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:02 am

Other than cherry picking data out of the "what are my chances" thread in transfers - is there a compilation of the comparisons in gpa at X school typically yields X-Y rank?

InRemington

Postby InRemington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:14 am

Reinhardt wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_school_GPA_curves

Anywhere that will apply the grade distribution to those static curves? I'm trying to prove that what law schools say the "curve is" isn't (sorry if I wasn't clear it might also be because I'm drinking while trying to compile this at 2a.m. on a lame Friday night)

oh and thanks for the link BTW.

InRemington

Postby InRemington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 am

actually found something from the notes on that wiki.....thanks for your help.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”