1L Summer Jobs Abroad

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolboundfuture

1L Summer Jobs Abroad

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:16 am

I am an incoming 1L student. I was wondering how hard it it to get a 1l summer job abroad? who hires 1ls abroad?

Lubberlubber

Re: 1L Summer Jobs Abroad

Postby Lubberlubber » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:16 am

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:I am an incoming 1L student. I was wondering how hard it it to get a 1l summer job abroad? who hires 1ls abroad?

What school are you going to?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 pm

It won't be hard to get a 1L summer job abroad provided you don't expect to get paid. If you apply to NGOs and free internships, it'll be easier than foreign office SAs. That being said, it won't necessarily be easy, you'll probably need to demonstrate an interest in international law, etc. and have something on your resume that points to that or strong foreign language skills, or that sort of thing.

I wouldn't do it, though. I actually did do it and there are very serious downsides. It limits your ability to network over the summer in the city you want to work in. It makes interviewing (particularly if you plan on doing various one day diversity fairs) difficult as flying becomes prohibitively expensive depending on where you're located. And most of all you'll find yourself having to reassure employers that, no I really do want to work in the US. I just thought this was a cool opportunity and I took it because I'm a 1L, but as a 2L I definitely want to do whatever it is that your firm does. Too much risk and too little reward. Honestly, you'd just be better off trying to do a semester in practice abroad if your school lets you do that. Save 1L summer for something that ideally demonstrates both the area of law you'd like to practice and the geographic location.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm

It's very easy if you go on a school organized summer abroad (you'll be paying for it, though)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:11 pm

guano wrote:It's very easy if you go on a school organized summer abroad (you'll be paying for it, though)

But a terrible idea since you're not getting work experience. If you had to do a study abroad, do it during spring of 2L after you've (hopefully) already secured a job, or some time during 3L.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:20 pm

cinephile wrote:
guano wrote:It's very easy if you go on a school organized summer abroad (you'll be paying for it, though)

But a terrible idea since you're not getting work experience. If you had to do a study abroad, do it during spring of 2L after you've (hopefully) already secured a job, or some time during 3L.

A lot of study abroad programs will line up local "employment"

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm

guano wrote:
cinephile wrote:

A lot of study abroad programs will line up local "employment"

It is still generally a poor idea to spend the summer abroad. If you want to work in America, you need to demonstrate that with your 1L summer.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:48 am

I did 3 summers abroad in law school. I would recommend it for very few people. Unless you have very unique career goals or already know what you're doing and where after graduation, it is probably not the best idea. I'm glad I did it but some things about it were a giant pain and if you ever want LORs from legal employers, it can make getting those really difficult.

frosty6731

Postby frosty6731 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:14 pm

My school had a study abroad program that basically included an internship at a law firm, although it was unpaid. Most international law firms will be eager to accept any students getting a common law education.

gators88

Postby gators88 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 am

If it is something you are interested in, it is relatively easy to line up a 1L summer internship at a foreign local law firm. For example, I worked at a local firm in Vietnam with about 50 lawyers in Ho Chi Minh City. I had friends with similar experience in Thailand, brazil, Indonesia, Italy among other countries.

The best way to go about this is to research the midsized local law firms in cities you are interested in, and then send out cover letters and resumes expressing interest in the region and a summer internship. The midsize local firms can almost always use your English skills and don't get too much interest from American law students. They usually don't pay 1L interns but its not unheard of to negotiate travel expenses or your room for the summer. (My firm gave me $500 towards travel and rented me a small room above a dry cleaner).

A good place to start researching local law firms is http://www.legal500.com/.

In the hieararchy of importance in biglaw hiring, 1L summer job is way below grades, journal, moot court etc.

To the extent they care about jobs, this is significantly better than a study abroad program (if you sell it properly on your resume and interviews), but probably not as good as a 1L judicial internship. I ended up with a v10 offer, but I did have a handful of interviewers give me some pushback about the experience and accused me of wanting to just get some travel in during 1L summer (mostly true, vigorously denied). On the other hand, one offer directly resulted from the fact that my interviewer had just returned from her honeymoon in Vietnam and we just talked about how awesome the country is.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:14 am

Bump - anyone else had good, bad or in-between experiences working for a firm abroad during 1L summer? My school has a resume collect for about 40 places, but some things seem so sketch, like $10 per day compensation. I mean that's a weird number. I guess better than nothing. Is it really that difficult to explain away during 2L firm interviews? I mean, can't you just say you wanted to do some type of firm work, but options are obviously limited?

john2515

Postby john2515 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm

I spent my 1L summer abroad and had a great experience. It was largely set up by my school's CSO, which certainly helped. I was at a large private law firm (200+) that isn't particularly well-known here, but is widely considered the top firm in that country. I spent ~100% of my time working on international arbitration claims .. I learned a lot substantively, it was relevant, and it gave me a whole lot to talk about at OCI. Oh, I also got paid (big plus) and had massive amounts of fun in my free time (even bigger plus). I'll be working at a (US) firm this summer with big IA & international trade practice areas.

Really, it all depends what your goals are. The experience aligned really well with both my personal and professional objectives, but it's not for everyone. If you want to work abroad, or if you want to work in the US for a firm that boasts a large international presence, I think it's a really great move. It also depends, of course, what you'll be working on abroad. I was pretty much guaranteed to work in my preferred area because (1) the firm's other practice areas are largely conducted in a language I don't speak and (2) it wouldn't make sense for them to hire a foreign intern to work on totally unfamiliar municipal civil law issues.

So in essence, it was a low-stakes opportunity to bolster my international/private practice creds (I've studied/worked abroad but my background is largely public interesty) while recovering from the trauma of 1L and easing myself into the trauma of OCI :) If you have even the slightest of international inclinations and would appreciate the experience personally, I think it'd be a mistake not to pursue it. Then again, I didn't have the "biglaw or bust" mentality, and I can't say for sure what top firms find most attractive re 1L summers.. if you can get a 1L SA or some kind of other prestigious gig (?) here, and V5 is your ultimate goal, then that's another story. But if your alternatives are run-of-the-mill, I think at the very least the international gig won't hurt you during OCI. It'll likely help. And it'll likely make you a happier and well-adjusted human in the long run.

john2515

Postby john2515 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Oh, and also .. I definitely didn't get the sense that spending 1L summer abroad made US employers skeptical of my desire to work in the US. I think as long as you are a US national and went to undergrad here, you really don't need to "prove" your connection to the US or convince employers that you'd actually want to work here. That's kinda presumed of American JD students .. and fwiw, I was born/raised in the US and went to undergrad here, but spent 3 semesters abroad + worked abroad for 6 months after undergrad. The only skepticism I got during OCI re geographic ties came (predictably i think) from London-based offices who wondered if I'd really be willing to relocate abroad longterm.

welkertexasranger

Postby welkertexasranger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 am

Can't disagree more with what a lot of people said above. Worked abroad my 1L summer and the only questions I got about it were along the lines of what the work was like or "that's really cool, did you get to travel while you were there?" I think it makes you more interesting for an OCI interviewer compared with everyone else s/he talks to that day, which is a huge advantage to have.

fufucat

Postby fufucat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Could anyone shed some lights on the Santa Clara Law summer aboard program?

Study aboard with an internship at a big international law firm for a 1L without any previous legal experiences and a median GPA sounds quite appealing. The only issue is the cost, 8k for 4 credit and internship costs excluding other expenses!!! I estimate the total cost to be over 14k. Worth the money?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 pm

fufucat wrote:Could anyone shed some lights on the Santa Clara Law summer aboard program?

Study aboard with an internship at a big international law firm for a 1L without any previous legal experiences and a median GPA sounds quite appealing. The only issue is the cost, 8k for 4 credit and internship costs excluding other expenses!!! I estimate the total cost to be over 14k. Worth the money?

Don't pay someone else to work.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”