1L summer position -- can I be hired now through a contact?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zoomzoom88

1L summer position -- can I be hired now through a contact?

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:24 am

I have someone with strong connections to a top firm in North Jersey who is forwarding my resume tomorrow to the Managing Partner and hiring partner. I will be a 1L in the fall. Is it entirely unrealistic to think something may come of this?

RoseAberlone

Re: 1L summer position -- can I be hired now through a contact?

Postby RoseAberlone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:I have someone with strong connections to a top firm in North Jersey who is forwarding my resume tomorrow to the Managing Partner and hiring partner. I will be a 1L in the fall. Is it entirely unrealistic to think something may come of this?

I don't think you're allowed to contact potential employers until Dec. 1, per NALP guidelines.

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:26 am

that's also what I was wondering -- is it unethical to have someone forward my resume .. I don't want to overstep any bounds

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am

It's probably unrealistic to think something will come of it

It's not unethical to have some guy forward your résumé when he offered

Also NALP guidelines have no inherent enforcement mechanism

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 am

do they get fwded a million resumes? I assumed it was weak but worth a shot

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am

rad lulz wrote:It's probably unrealistic to think something will come of it

Plus, it seems like employers do not even care about following the rules. I talked to so many employers about 1L positions this past year and so many told me that they had already filled them in October/November. So don't be a sucker like me, get that shit out regardless of any December date.

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 am

ColtsFan88 wrote:

Plus, it seems like employers do not even care about following the rules. I talked to so many employers about 1L positions this past year and so many told me that they had already filled them in October/November. So don't be a sucker like me, get that shit out regardless of any December date.

really?? when would you recommend sending things out? cover letter and resume?

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:

Honestly, I'm not even sure. All I know is that I didn't talk to anyone before December because of that NALP rule that I assumed was universally followed. Then, in January I found out that TONS of places had hired their 1L positions for the summer in October and November. So who knows. :?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am

ColtsFan88 wrote:
zoomzoom88 wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:

Honestly, I'm not even sure. All I know is that I didn't talk to anyone before December because of that NALP rule that I assumed was universally followed. Then, in January I found out that TONS of places had hired their 1L positions for the summer in October and November. So who knows. :?

Although NALP has no enforcement mechanism your CSO may get pissed at you if you mail too early

Also you may piss of employers

Also judges generally follow the guideline

So use caution there

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:51 am

I too have strong contacts to top firms in North Jersey. I even have a cousin who's an associate at Ropes & Gray. None of these leads were fruitful. They want strong grades and/or children of partners. Focus on doing well 1L.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Does anybody out there have an opinion on sending cover letter and resume to firms before December 1?

Can anyone verify that 1l sa positions are indeed filled in Sept/Oct?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 pm

FlowBro wrote:Does anybody out there have an opinion on sending cover letter and resume to firms before December 1?

I have never heard of 1L SAs getting hired pre-Dec 1. I assume it happens through some legit connections, but that is only in the rarest of circumstances.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 pm

FlowBro wrote:Does anybody out there have an opinion on sending cover letter and resume to firms before December 1?

I've never heard of this happening, but anything would be anecdotal. I wouldn't risk it, if only because your resume may land at the desk of someone who decides you can't listen to rules/orders/people telling you what to do and they don't want you around.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 pm

superbloom wrote:I too have strong contacts to top firms in North Jersey. I even have a cousin who's an associate at Ropes & Gray. None of these leads were fruitful. They want strong grades and/or children of partners. Focus on doing well 1L.

All 3 of them?

I wouldn't. There is a small chance it could become a C&F issue. Probably not, but why risk it? Other possible problems might be getting sanctions from CSO, which can include getting barred from OCI, or having potential employers flag you as someone who won't follow the rules (which is a reason to ding you come OCI)
Admittedly, these aren't likely scenarios, but your chance of getting a 1L SA is even smaller.

Keep in kind that at most firms, there are no 1L regular SAs, and diversity programs don't start until later.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”