Getting more scholarship money after first year

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Cscottrun

Getting more scholarship money after first year

Postby Cscottrun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 am

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I have only found threads regarding scholarship money prior to your first year.

I don't plan on transferring (due to family issues, the location and commute work best), however, I will probably be around top 5% of my class after all is said and done. I am on a very small scholarship right now, however I'd like to try and get some more money. Can anyone explain to me how to politely go about this?

Re: Getting more scholarship money after first year

Postby 2014 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:24 am

I can't think of the names of anyone on here that has actually successfully done it themselves, but the stories that come up almost invariably involve having a transfer acceptance as leverage (even if in your case you don't have any intention of accepting it). Alternatively your best bet is probably just to talk to whoever is in charge of financial aid, explain your situation, and tell them you are seriously considering transferring and see what they have to say.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:36 pm

They *might* preemptively offer you a full scholarship on their own. Happened to me. I wasn't on any scholarship 1L year, but after 1L grades, they threw two full ride offers at me - either take full scholarship, or join King Scholars with full ride. While I did apply to other schools, the full ride brought me back. They know their top students will look to transfer, and they don't want that. Sticker at UofM vs. full ride at MSU - tough call, but it worked out in the end as I was not going to leave Michigan.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:08 pm

I was top 2%, and my school preemptively offered me a partial scholarship after my first year. I wrote a letter to the dean asking for more, but that didn't work. I recommend trying it, because it can only lead to extra money.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:04 pm

shepdawg wrote:I was top 2%, and my school preemptively offered me a partial scholarship after my first year. I wrote a letter to the dean asking for more, but that didn't work. I recommend trying it, because it can only lead to extra money.

I have friend who attended UIUC and she was top 5% after first year. She had no intention of transferring due to SO, but she did ask and receive for more $$--I think it was on the order of 15K or so, which was a lot, considering COA and this was ~6 years ago.

I would say that all of the anecdata I have seen on TLS notes that you really only have leverage if you make a stink about leaving or your grades are so amazing that they believe you will likely leave, based on their experience with similar students. So...don't expect to get any more money unless you book your first year.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”