The most insane law school related lie you ever heard...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Would any intelligent person - regardless of ethnicity - waste a 165 on Cooley?

With like...a 2.1 GPA, sure.
33%
Not a chance. Dude is lying through his teeth!
26%
Maybe a ditz would, but he shouldn't be practicing law.
41%

Total votes: 78

PDaddy

The most insane law school related lie you ever heard...

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 am

I was casually talking to a neighbor today, when he suddenly blurted out that he had a 165 LSAT score. Here's the funny part: he's a recent Cooley Law grad with no job.

My eyebrow arched, I looked him in his eye and retorted, "...[A]nd you took that to Cooley?!"

His face turned beet-red as he explained that, for him, it was all about the money. He went on to add that he felt that he would do fine in his career despite having gone to Cooley.

This is a guy who graduated without a job telling me this. From my interactions with him, I have a strong feeling that his UGPA was at least a B-average.

I remember one of my college instructors telling me that she had gotten into Berkeley and Seattle-U but chose Seattle-U because it was in Seattle. Mind you, she admitted that the University of Washington had rejected her.

What do you think of my two stories above? What outrageous stories can you regale for us? People are very proud when it comes to the LSAT, and they don't want to admit that they didn't do well, or that they had poor UG grades.

beautyistruth

Re: The most insane law school related lie you ever heard...

Postby beautyistruth » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:07 am

I knew somebody who spent a 170+ LSAT score on Cooley. Grades not under 3.0 It definitely happens. I don't think those are lies, necessarily. People do their research, and come to their own (arguably bad) conclusions about where to go. In the case with Berkeley, Seattle U and UW, it could be that she had some very interesting softs that caught Berkeley's eye, and she got yield protected by UW.
Last edited by beautyistruth on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:04 am

You act like him being unemployed and telling you that he THOUGHT Cooley would be a good idea is some sort of contradictory, douche-bag move.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 am

Well. There are a bunch of shit I know now that I didn't like, 5-6 years ago (whenever it was) when I was looking at law schools. Cooley wouldn't have been on my list to even apply to, but I could see this kind of stuff being a possibility.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 am

I'd guess he's lying about the 165

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 am

The GPA is irrelevant. I'm a 2.25/167 splitter and I got into every T1 school I applied to except 1. Even if the top few T1 schools denied me because I had a 165 instead of a 167, there's still no reason to go to Cooley. 10 seconds on Google would've told anyone with half a brain Cooley was a terrible idea.

While it's not impossible someone went to Cooley without giving it any consideration, I would hope you could count the number of times this happens every year on 1 hand.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 am

Seems like kind of a dick move to shit on him like that about where he graduated from.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 am

PDaddy wrote:This is a guy who graduated without a job telling me this. From my interactions with him, I have a strong feeling that his UGPA was at least a B-average.

Assuming someone's UGPA based on interactions also seems like a dick move.

Edit: I misread thinking that you said you assumed he had a B- tops, not at least B-. I apologize for calling it a "dick move," but maintain you can't ever really guess a person's UGPA based on standard interactions.
Last edited by DCDuck on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:06 pm

I can see someone going to Cooley if they THINK they've done their research. I know a reasonably intelligent person from my undergrad who went there...no idea if she's practicing law or what at this point since we've lost touch, but her research consisted of asking a bunch of boomers what they thought. They all told her to just go with the cheapest option, since having a JD means employers will be lighting up your inbox left and right.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 pm

What does ethnicity have to do with it?
Why do you care so much?

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm

The most insane law school related lie is definitely "our students have an average salary of 160K upon graduation."

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:48 pm

I could see someone with a 2.5/165 going to Cooley if they hadn't done their research. With those numbers, you might get into a some TTTier 1's but with little to no money. While Cooley would give you a full ride scholarship.

I just looked at Law school numbers and I doubt they'd even get into many T1s are sticker. It's more like T2 with virtually no scholarship, or TTT with some scholarship. I actually think Cooley is the better choice in that case.

Boalt story sounds fake.

bradley

Postby bradley » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't think his assertion is more ridiculous than your reaction, and this post. Not only did you insult him in person for no reason, you took the time to start a thread on a message board about it.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:36 pm

My friend had a 168/3.8 and paid sticker at California Western. Not everyone spends wisely.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 pm

A couple of years back, 2.5/165 was enough to get a full ride at IU...

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:45 pm

shepdawg wrote:My friend had a 168/3.8 and paid sticker at California Western. Not everyone spends wisely.

:shock: Dude was a lock for UCLA/USC if he was willing to pay sticker. This is like somebody going to Subway and seeing that they have a $5 special on meatball foot-longs but deciding to pay $5.25 for a six-inch anyway.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm

This is why people hate law students. For one, you mention "regardless of ethnicity" which means you're an ignorant fuck. Second, you care so much about what other people are doing. Does it really matter if they made a decision that you wouldn't? Is it changing your life? Third you say what is funny is how hes a graduate without a job, which yeah, its hilarious when people are less fortunate than others and struggling in their lives.

You seriously sound like either you're intentionally trying to be an aspie fuck, or more likely - regardless of ethnicity, of course, you are an aspie fuck.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:11 am

If you arched your eye brow at me op; I'd smack it back into the correct position.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:19 am

Peg

Postby Peg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Honestly, this does happen. I knew an insanely smart girl from my undergrad (and I went to a good undergrad - highly ranked public school) - college athlete, 4.0 GPA from high school and at least a 3.6/3.7 GPA while in college. She was really involved in college organizations and tutoring and sports and just the perfect all-rounder, and used to make me feel really competitive. I was sure she'd end up at a T-10 law school.

She ended up at a third/fourth tier law school in Nevada. I don't really understand it but I assume it was either the scholarship money or a special man in Vegas or both. No other explanation for it. Still a shitty decision if you ask me, and she didn't get a firm job out of it.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

happens all the time to be honest, i went to a pretty prestigious UG (state flagship), and tons of people with 3.6-3.7 GPAs tended to go to the local TTT about 30 minutes from school. A lot of people from the undergrad tended to just take the LSAT and then give up on retaking, didnt understand that mentality but I think it happens much more than we on TLS thinks it does

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:01 pm

sublime wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I can see someone going to Cooley if they THINK they've done their research. I know a reasonably intelligent person from my undergrad who went there...no idea if she's practicing law or what at this point since we've lost touch, but her research consisted of asking a bunch of boomers what they thought. They all told her to just go with the cheapest option, since having a JD means employers will be lighting up your inbox left and right.

Yea, I know a reasonably intelligent girl who went to Barry, a few reasonably intelligent guys at Stetson (admittedly, less bad) and a slightly less intelligent, but still not stupid, girl who went to Charlotte. Not to mention a random fb friend who goes to Ave Maria.

Idk, maybe it is true and people from Florida (myself included) just aren't bright :?:

Charlotte, Elon, Campbell and NC Central are popular destinations for people in the NC and SC area, had a lot of undergrad friends go to one of those schools.

LeninLunchbox

Postby LeninLunchbox » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:For one, you mention "regardless of ethnicity" which means you're an ignorant fuck.

JusticeJackson wrote:How did ethnicity come up in this poll? I don't get it.

NYstate wrote:What does ethnicity have to do with it?

You guys really want TLS to know just how not racist you are don't you?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:12 pm

dstars823 wrote:happens all the time to be honest, i went to a pretty prestigious UG (state flagship), and tons of people with 3.6-3.7 GPAs tended to go to the local TTT about 30 minutes from school. A lot of people from the undergrad tended to just take the LSAT and then give up on retaking, didnt understand that mentality but I think it happens much more than we on TLS thinks it does

There's a reason TTTs with sub 40% long term legal employment rates are still opened. I wouldn't call my friends dumb, just uninformed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”