got arrested

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fullmetal24

got arrested

Postby fullmetal24 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 am

Guys I got arrested and I have a weed charge and dui should I give up law school?

I.P. Daly

Re: got arrested

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:30 am

fullmetal24 wrote:Guys I got arrested and I have a weed charge and dui should I give up law school?

Best to contact a character and fitness attorney or your law school about your specific situation. Probably not a license killer if you stay out of trouble throughout law school. However, c&f stuff is very fact and jurisdiction specific.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Good advice and do it NOW.

Forgive me but...what were you thinking? Despite the urban legends to the contrary, lawyers are among the most vetted and watched professionals there are. You can't screw around like this as a law student and you sure can't as a lawyer. You might drop out unless you can be reasonably sure either that you can keep your indiscretions private or that you can live an aboveboard life. DUI is a career-killer.

buddingjd

Postby buddingjd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Are you currently in law school, or planning to be in the future?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Are you a 0L?

You can still get into a good law school if you have good numbers.

My friend got 3 weed tickets during colllege. He got into T14s and got big scholarships at T30.

IDK about C&F

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:24 pm

As said, you need an attorney. Don't drop out until you've calmed down, consulted with your attorney, and run through the process. Your attorney will advise on what to do next. You're going to have to tell your lawschool , but speak to an attorney immediately.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:34 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Good advice and do it NOW.

Forgive me but...what were you thinking? Despite the urban legends to the contrary, lawyers are among the most vetted and watched professionals there are. You can't screw around like this as a law student and you sure can't as a lawyer. You might drop out unless you can be reasonably sure either that you can keep your indiscretions private or that you can live an aboveboard life. DUI is a career-killer.

LOL, DUI is not a career killer. Multiple DUIs, problematic, but not one. I had a DUI in undergrad, fully disclosed, no problem. A DUI during law school is a problem, but deal with the legal issues, don't do it again, and disclose. I really don't think its a career-ender.

For Christ sakes state bars provide free anonymous substance abuse hotlines and counseling. Deal with it, dont do it again, and you can get through it.

fullmetal24

Postby fullmetal24 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm an undergrad btw.

fullmetal24

Postby fullmetal24 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:49 pm

How does c and f apply to this.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:57 pm

fullmetal24 wrote:How does c and f apply to this.

uh because you cant commit crimes (habitually) and be admitted to the bar.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Not to sound snarky, but why do you think law schools ask character and fitness related questions?

Part of it has to do with whether you'd be a good fit at the school and the other part has to do with whether you can actually practice law after graduating. A guy going into law school with multiple felony convictions probably won't be able to pass a c&f review. On the other hand, a guy with several violations for being a dumbass immature undergrad will probably be okay if he shows signs of improvement.

Again, it's all jurisdiction specific and you should probably ask your lawyer about it.

fullmetal24

Postby fullmetal24 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Sorry not familiar with the terms. What about law firms themselves? Do they care more? And by the way I'm cleared by FSU.
Last edited by fullmetal24 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Tulane currently has a convicted killer attending, so there's hope. My experience, based not on my own personal issues but on the issues of my classmates and friends, is that if you disclose your crimes beforehand, you'll at most be subjected to additional scrutiny and a come to Jesus meeting with the state bar when the time comes. Drugs and DUI's, if not in excessive amounts, aren't generally going to be a barrier to entering the profession. Embezzlement and any other theft crimes related to money get super close scrutiny though...Also, lying about anything is an absolute bar.

At the end of the day, if you disclose everything, you really should be OK; no law school is going to admit you if you can't pass character and fitness, and from what I've seen if you do something during law school that'll make it difficult/impossible to pass character and fitness, the school will tell you to cut and run.

As for law firms, most don't seem to background check or drug test. The assumption seems to be that if you got admitted to school, you can pass C&F and if you can pass C&F you've already been through an at least minimally rigorous vetting process.

941law

Postby 941law » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am

Take it to trial and win 8)

Any Convictions? No

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47 pm

941law wrote:Take it to trial and win 8)

Any Convictions? No

Except that you usually have to report arrests and judicial proceedings. (To OP: I highly doubt it will keep you out of law school, but again, consult a C&F attorney/the specific schools you're considering/your local bar association.)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”