How many credits?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

How many credits?

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:58 pm

How many credits are you guys taking per semester and being able to handle (and still get good grades)?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: How many credits?

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 pm

If I take 14 every semester, I will graduate with the bare minimum.

So 14.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: How many credits?

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 pm

I dig your style.

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: How many credits?

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How many credits are you guys taking per semester and being able to handle (and still get good grades)?


why do you ask, how many are you taking?

andythefir
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: How many credits?

Postby andythefir » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:08 pm

You're asking the wrong question. It's not the credits, it's paper v exam, easy v hard, stacked v easy curve. 14 credits of fed courts + admin + BA + giant paper seminar is way harder than 18 credits of joke classes. Clerkship folks all take the same classes and all tend to be at the top of the class. I took 5 2 credit classes this last semester, which was a nightmare. Professors have no idea how to pare down the subject matter for fewer credits. One 2 credit class had a 10,000 word paper and another had more material than my 4 credit 1L classes.

My advice: shoot for 50/50 paper/exam, take classes that look real but aren't (think Prof Rep), and as a 2L take some gigantic classes-the curve is waaaay easier when the top of the class either transferred or is swamped by law review and the rest of the class doesn't care.

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: How many credits?

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 pm

andythefir wrote:You're asking the wrong question. It's not the credits, it's paper v exam, easy v hard, stacked v easy curve. 14 credits of fed courts + admin + BA + giant paper seminar is way harder than 18 credits of joke classes. Clerkship folks all take the same classes and all tend to be at the top of the class. I took 5 2 credit classes this last semester, which was a nightmare. Professors have no idea how to pare down the subject matter for fewer credits. One 2 credit class had a 10,000 word paper and another had more material than my 4 credit 1L classes.

My advice: shoot for 50/50 paper/exam, take classes that look real but aren't (think Prof Rep), and as a 2L take some gigantic classes-the curve is waaaay easier when the top of the class either transferred or is swamped by law review and the rest of the class doesn't care.


True 15 credits at 1L is not even close to the same in 3L unless you are trying to kill yourself.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: How many credits?

Postby Bronck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Danger Zone wrote:If I take 13 every semester, I will graduate with the bare minimum.

So 13.


FTFM.

Of course I may take some 12, some 14.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: How many credits?

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Bronck wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:If I take 13 every semester, I will graduate with the bare minimum.

So 13.


FTFM.

Of course I may take some 12, some 14.


i may take the lower side of the split fall semester to TREAT myself

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: How many credits?

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 pm

stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:If I take 13 every semester, I will graduate with the bare minimum.

So 13.


FTFM.

Of course I may take some 12, some 14.


i may take the lower side of the split fall semester to TREAT myself

Image

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: How many credits?

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:If I take 13 every semester, I will graduate with the bare minimum.

So 13.


FTFM.

Of course I may take some 12, some 14.


i may take the lower side of the split fall semester to TREAT myself

Image


ya bro, hopefully without the turtleneck tho




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hangold, MSNbot Media, Pneumonia, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests