ITT: We Crowdsource Textbook Design

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bracton

Re: ITT: We Crowdsource Textbook Design

Postby bracton » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:17 pm

This thread has loads of great stuff but as far as I can tell, it's missing the key point:

KEEP THE BOOK LIGHT.

Too many casebooks (I'm looking at you in particular, Brest on Con Law) aren't so much designed to teach as to give the student a hernia. A book should be thin. Three or four pages is all you need for a well-edited case. If the student is good, they'll go on Westlaw and find the whole case for themselves and read it anyway. If they're not interested, well, they're not going to be interested by a load more text in the book.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm

bracton wrote:This thread has loads of great stuff but as far as I can tell, it's missing the key point:

KEEP THE BOOK LIGHT.

Too many casebooks (I'm looking at you in particular, Brest on Con Law) aren't so much designed to teach as to give the student a hernia. A book should be thin. Three or four pages is all you need for a well-edited case. If the student is good, they'll go on Westlaw and find the whole case for themselves and read it anyway. If they're not interested, well, they're not going to be interested by a load more text in the book.

wat

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:44 am

If we're talking formatting, one thing is margins. I took notes in the margins, and the publishers that skimped on the margins... infuriating. But that's probably out of the author's control.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:49 am

stillwater wrote:another shitty text: Marty Redish's CivPro. its just an opportunity for him to stroke himself by using the notes as an opportunity to quote at length his own "schoalry" articles. so dont do that.

Haven't taken him but I've heard this description about his actual classes lol

A suggestion: If something is important, put it in a preface to a case and not in the notes. Nobody wants to read the fucking notes.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:51 am

Flips88 wrote:Nobody wants to read the fucking notes.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 am

Flips88 wrote:
stillwater wrote:another shitty text: Marty Redish's CivPro. its just an opportunity for him to stroke himself by using the notes as an opportunity to quote at length his own "schoalry" articles. so dont do that.

Con. Firmed.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 am

Samara wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Con. Firmed.

I didn't realize notice pleading plus wasn't a real thing until dat Themis learned me.

Also NR, I'm exploiting your peoples lands by harvesting walleye this week. You aren't around are you?

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:30 am

The Hart textbook for Fed Courts is exceedingly bad. There is a danger to over-condensing too much and giving people one-line summaries of major cases. Also, fuck footnotes. A page should never have more than 3-4 lines of footnotes, if any at all.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:33 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:The Hart textbook for Fed Courts is exceedingly bad. There is a danger to over-condensing too much and giving people one-line summaries of major cases. Also, fuck footnotes. A page should never have more than 3-4 lines of footnotes, if any at all.

Yeah this book is painful. It's also one of the most important and influential textbooks, so that kinda tells you where the state of the art is.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Samara wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Con. Firmed.

I didn't realize notice pleading plus wasn't a real thing until dat Themis learned me.

Also NR, I'm exploiting your peoples lands by harvesting walleye this week. You aren't around are you?

Does this mean the litigation matrix isn't on the bar either?!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”