Bunny in NYLS Residence Housing

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cnjorda

Bunny in NYLS Residence Housing

Postby cnjorda » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Has anyone ever had/heard of someone having a pet in NYLS' residence hall? I'm starting in the fall. I negotiated a scholarship increase which came with the stipulation that I have to live in the residence hall my first year. I have small bunny that I want to take with me (no one else can house him for a year, so I kind of have to take him with me). The housing guidelines state no pets allowed. I'm trying to found out how strictly enforced this "no pets" rule is.

dagreatemly

Re: Bunny in NYLS Residence Housing

Postby dagreatemly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:58 pm

cnjorda wrote:Has anyone ever had/heard of someone having a pet in NYLS' residence hall? I'm starting in the fall. I negotiated a scholarship increase which came with the stipulation that I have to live in the residence hall my first year. I have small bunny that I want to take with me (no one else can house him for a year, so I kind of have to take him with me). The housing guidelines state no pets allowed. I'm trying to found out how strictly enforced this "no pets" rule is.

I would insist. Call the housing office and let them know that NYLS doesn't get you without your bunny. They will almost certainly realize that you're the student they've been waiting for, the one they could ponit to in 10 years and say, "yes, he went here." Make you parents proud.

justcallmeit

Postby justcallmeit » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

cnjorda wrote:Has anyone ever had/heard of someone having a pet in NYLS' residence hall? I'm starting in the fall. I negotiated a scholarship increase which came with the stipulation that I have to live in the residence hall my first year. I have small bunny that I want to take with me (no one else can house him for a year, so I kind of have to take him with me). The housing guidelines state no pets allowed. I'm trying to found out how strictly enforced this "no pets" rule is.

Why on earth would you go to a school that offers a scholarship criterion of "must live in residence hall"?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm

justcallmeit wrote:

Why on earth would you go to a school that offers a scholarship criterion of "must live in residence hall"?

Better that than "must be in top 1/3 of class"

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I thought this was going to be about a Playboy Bunny

justcallmeit

Postby justcallmeit » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 pm

kaiser wrote:
justcallmeit wrote:

Better that than "must be in top 1/3 of class"

She didn't say that the residence hall was the *only* stipulation...

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 pm

I was hoping to get some helpful information. One of the stipulations for the scholarship increase is to stay in the residence hall my first year because the school obviously wants to make money that it's losing on me. Anyway, I'm only curious about the pet situtation.

bdepeyster

Postby bdepeyster » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47 am

In CA, you can get a disability accommodation to allow a "companion animal" to accompany you wherever you go.

If you have something in writing from a doctor stating you need the animal for emotional support, landlords must accommodate you or run the risk of a nasty disability discrimination law suit.

One girl brought her stupid dog to class under the "companion animal" loophole. She was crazy and everyone hated her but the dog was still allowed into the classroom.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 am

Do your bunny a favor and don't go to NYLS.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:16 am

Everyone I ever knew that had a small animal in a dorm just brought it in there on the sly. I knew someone who had 2 cats in the law school dorm and lived there all year with no problems. Frankly that's probably your only option as the pet rules are pretty hard and fast unless you have an animal that helps you cope with a disability.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:56 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:Everyone I ever knew that had a small animal in a dorm just brought it in there on the sly. I knew someone who had 2 cats in the law school dorm and lived there all year with no problems. Frankly that's probably your only option as the pet rules are pretty hard and fast unless you have an animal that helps you cope with a disability.
A friend of mine and his wife took in a stray kitten. They named him Contraband.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:05 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Do your bunny a favor and don't go to NYLS.

Why does everyone have to be such elitest dicks here? She asks about a bunny rabbit, and your responses are "NYLS SUCKS." Come on dude, we get it, T6 or bust for you. But it really doesn't have to enter into EVERY thread.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:

Why does everyone have to be such elitest dicks here? She asks about a bunny rabbit, and your responses are "NYLS SUCKS." Come on dude, we get it, T6 or bust for you. But it really doesn't have to enter into EVERY thread.

Call admissions at NDLS, they'll be happy to know they were elevated to T6 overnight!

Also, since when did it become "elitist" to tell someone not to go to a school that is essentially a ponzi scheme?

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:41 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:

Call admissions at NDLS, they'll be happy to know they were elevated to T6 overnight!

Also, since when did it become "elitist" to tell someone not to go to a school that is essentially a ponzi scheme?

It's just irrelevant is all. I'm generalizing, its just "bunny at law school dorm" thread where the girl makes it clear she's going there and taking their scholarship $$$ isn't the time to tell her she needs to re-evaluate her life decisions about where to attend law school. It's just mean at this point. Sure, dissuade a prospective student asking whether they should go, but dogging on current students who didn't ask for opinions on the quality of their lawschool.....come on.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Dropping out before putting a tuition check in the mail would be a substantially better decision than attending NYLS.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:

It's just irrelevant is all. I'm generalizing, its just "bunny at law school dorm" thread where the girl makes it clear she's going there and taking their scholarship $$$ isn't the time to tell her she needs to re-evaluate her life decisions about where to attend law school. It's just mean at this point. Sure, dissuade a prospective student asking whether they should go, but dogging on current students who didn't ask for opinions on the quality of their lawschool.....come on.

I would still tell her this even if she were a rising 2L. It doesn't become a better decision as time goes on. In fact, it becomes worse.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I agree that there's no point in being mean about it, but I don't think the fact that the advice is unsolicited should keep one from advising another that she is about to do something that stands a very good chance of negatively impacting her life for decades to come.

Dear girl with bunny: please do your homework. If your scholarship is a full ride and you have a guaranteed job coming out of school, fine. Otherwise, the odds say you're going to get a negative return on your investment. You're going to pay whatever part of the $50K/year tuition that your scholly doesn't cover plus three years' worth of NYC living expenses to go to a school where, last year, less than 40% of graduates landed any full-time, long-term job requiring a JD. Of those <40%, I'm willing to bet that well upwards of half are working for peanuts. You can do better than that, even if it means not going to law school at all.

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:06 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I agree that there's no point in being mean about it, but I don't think the fact that the advice is unsolicited should keep one from advising another that she is about to do something that stands a very good chance of negatively impacting her life for decades to come.

Dear girl with bunny: please do your homework. If your scholarship is a full ride and you have a guaranteed job coming out of school, fine. Otherwise, the odds say you're going to get a negative return on your investment. You're going to pay whatever part of the $50K/year tuition that your scholly doesn't cover plus three years' worth of NYC living expenses to go to a school where, last year, less than 40% of graduates landed any full-time, long-term job requiring a JD. Of those <40%, I'm willing to bet that well upwards of half are working for peanuts. You can do better than that, even if it means not going to law school at all.

Thanks for the concern. I did my "homework" and made my decision. I'm 27. I've worked at a law firm for 2 years. I did the math. Yes, it's risky, but a risk I'm willing to take (all things considered). Anyone who makes a big investment or life-altering decision without doing their "homework" would probably be in the dismal situation you guys describe, but I'll be fine.

-Girl With Bunny

guano

Postby guano » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:09 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Also, since when did it become "elitist" to tell someone not to go to a school that is essentially a ponzi scheme?

A Ponzi scheme at least is beneficial for a few participants

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:37 pm

guano wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Also, since when did it become "elitist" to tell someone not to go to a school that is essentially a ponzi scheme?

A Ponzi scheme at least is beneficial for a few participants

The NYLS dean and faculty are benefiting quite a bit.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm

cnjorda wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:I agree that there's no point in being mean about it, but I don't think the fact that the advice is unsolicited should keep one from advising another that she is about to do something that stands a very good chance of negatively impacting her life for decades to come.

Thanks for the concern. I did my "homework" and made my decision. I'm 27. I've worked at a law firm for 2 years. I did the math. Yes, it's risky, but a risk I'm willing to take (all things considered). Anyone who makes a big investment or life-altering decision without doing their "homework" would probably be in the dismal situation you guys describe, but I'll be fine.

-Girl With Bunny

See, you won't be, unless never practicing law and debt repayment under PAYE is a great outcome for you.

You know their own grads sued them for fraud. And the highest court in New York questioned the dean's integrity.

As you've done your homework are they more expensive than Harvard or Columbia yet, or are they just close? I wouldn't mind this school if it was inexpensive but they take every single student loan dollar they can manage. And they do nothing to help their grads.

Check out law school transparency.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”