MASS EMAIL THREAD

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nova

MASS EMAIL THREAD

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:16 am

Who else is on their mass email grind?
Last edited by Nova on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: MASS EMAIL THREAD: Dear Partner,plz acknowledge my existence

Postby 2014 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:02 am

Damn you guys having your grades back :(

Ours are due July 5th I think, so I'll be waiting until then. Definitely planning to carpet bomb a few markets though.

I think your 1/5 response rate is a reasonable estimate from mine and friends' 1L attempts. Here's hoping some of those are positive!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:01 pm

yea, how we gonna get those jerbz?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 am

stillwater wrote:yea, how we gonna get those jerbz?

"Hustle"

"Networking"

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 am

rad lulz wrote:
stillwater wrote:yea, how we gonna get those jerbz?

"Hustle"

"Networking"

so we hustle, we network, we get the khakis and THEN we get the jerbz!!!!!

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:46 am

Srs question: are we supposed to mass mail (like, trying to get interviews) this early? I've read on here that July is usually the time for that (I'm guessing because journals/grades are all figured out by then?), so I've been emailing some attorneys soliciting informal lunch/coffee, genuinely just to learn more about the firms for the real interviews since I'm working in my target secondary. What do?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am

BuckinghamB wrote:Srs question: are we supposed to mass mail (like, trying to get interviews) this early? I've read on here that July is usually the time for that (I'm guessing because journals/grades are all figured out by then?), so I've been emailing some attorneys soliciting informal lunch/coffee, genuinely just to learn more about the firms for the real interviews since I'm working in my target secondary. What do?

I'm doing the exact same thing right now. Have lunch with an attorney from each of the three biggest firms in my market respectively. Just trying to get the inside scoop while hopefully not having to pay for lunch.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:37 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Srs question: are we supposed to mass mail (like, trying to get interviews) this early? I've read on here that July is usually the time for that (I'm guessing because journals/grades are all figured out by then?), so I've been emailing some attorneys soliciting informal lunch/coffee, genuinely just to learn more about the firms for the real interviews since I'm working in my target secondary. What do?

I'm just getting all my ducks in a row at this point. Once journals get released, I'll start sending them out.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I'm just getting all my ducks in a row at this point. Once journals get released, I'll start sending them out.

that was my idea. have everything but the journal details and then let em go

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

So I'm trying to make my spreadsheet using NALP, and when I sort by firms 26+ I only get like 100 results. For instnace Boies Schiller isn't on there. Any idea how to get the rest of the big/mid-sized firms?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:10 am

Does anyone have an example of a coffee/lunch-seeking email? I'm kind of stumped on what to actually say. :?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:49 pm

From a handout from my CSO:

NETWORKING INTRODUCTIONS

Dear Mr./Ms. Lawyer:
Mary Jones suggested that I contact you. I am a first-year student at [Law School] with an interest in _____. I would like to learn more about your career path and any advice you might have for me as I embark on my 1L summer job search. Please let me know if there is a convenient time to talk or if we could meet for coffee.

Sincerely,
[Name and contact info]

...obviously change the language to reflect that you are a rising 2L, but that's the general idea--keep it simple.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Here's another one that I think is better:

Dear Mr. Jones:
I am a second year student at Boston College Law School. Professor Plater suggested I
contact you, because I am interested in pursuing a career in Environmental Law.
Before coming to law school, I spent two years working as a paralegal in an Environmental
Law practice, and at BC Law School I am the president of the Environmental Law Society.
I was wondering if you might have 20 minutes to speak with me about the work that you do
at ____ firm. I am free every Tuesday and Thursday between noon and 5 pm, and I
would be happy to come to your office at your convenience. Please let me know
if you have any time to meet over the next few weeks.

Sincerely,
Jane Smith

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:00 pm

These are great... Just wondering how to phrase it if nobody suggested you contact them and you have no alumni connection.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:These are great... Just wondering how to phrase it if nobody suggested you contact them and you have no alumni connection.

I think it's all right to mention that you discovered them via Linkedin or whatever and that their career path piqued your interest.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:These are great... Just wondering how to phrase it if nobody suggested you contact them and you have no alumni connection.

say "I was reading up on X practice area and saw that you're firm's department does Xx particular interesting thing within that practice area and was wondering whether I could chat about that via email or phone."

dell

Postby dell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:55 am

Good afternoon, Mr. XXXXXXX,

My name is [ ] and I am a rising 2L at LOL Law School. I am interested in A, B, and C, and I am very interested in the YYYYY practice group at M & M LLP in NYC. Would it be possible to schedule a phone call to discuss your experience practicing YYYYY law? I hope to learn about your experience practicing YYYYY law, and I hope to find out what I can do to succeed in this field.

I understand that you may have a busy schedule, and I am willing to talk at your convenience.

Sincerely,

...Jsa hooked me up with this format...used pretty much exactly this and already had 4 lunches with partners and 6 phone calls in about a 2-3 week period...hope it helps

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I know its common practice to put in cover letter that you will be firm's area for certain dates...what do you say when you dont have any real plans to be in the area on certain dates but you can be there at anytime if they want you to be? (sorry if this sounds stupid)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:10 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:I know its common practice to put in cover letter that you will be firm's area for certain dates...what do you say when you dont have any real plans to be in the area on certain dates but you can be there at anytime if they want you to be? (sorry if this sounds stupid)

I have a flexible schedule from xx/yy to xx/yy

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:I know its common practice to put in cover letter that you will be firm's area for certain dates...what do you say when you dont have any real plans to be in the area on certain dates but you can be there at anytime if they want you to be? (sorry if this sounds stupid)

Also consider making up a date or dates that you will be in town, and if they bite, go ahead and travel.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Good news, team.I was just offered a 40 hour per week paid legal position at a personal injury firm.The position will run through the school year too.I can quit my job as a server now!

The only reason I got this job was because I sent out a total of about 400 emails to attorneys in my city.I encourage everyone to SPAM SPAM SPAM!!!!!!!!

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:02 pm

^Nice work!

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 pm

So, I've been attending happy hours and such to try to network and I was contemplating contacting people at firms I'm applying to. Only problem is, I'm in LA and I realized I really want to be in NY (good thing I came out here to find that out.) Is it worth it to meet up with LA people when I want to apply to their NY offices?

(I've worked in NY and have ties.)

Postby 2014 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 am

Do you guys know who is the right person to mass mail for firms that I interviewed with last winter for a 1L SA? Do I go right to an attorney who interviewed me, which usually included the hiring partner, or just go through recruiting again and tell them I interviewed before?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 am

2014 wrote:Do you guys know who is the right person to mass mail for firms that I interviewed with last winter for a 1L SA? Do I go right to an attorney who interviewed me, which usually included the hiring partner, or just go through recruiting again and tell them I interviewed before?

probably recruiting since they're scheduling the interviews and have more access to all of that information

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”