How to not get down about low 2nd semester grades?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrF

How to not get down about low 2nd semester grades?

Postby MrF » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:37 pm

I just finished up my 1L year at CCN and am pretty down about my grades. I was happy with my performance 1st semester but didn't do so great 2nd semester. We heard a lot this past year about not letting grades define who you are, and I definitely took that to heart by getting involved in extracurriculars, socializing, etc. However, I'm having a tough time getting past this and feel like the summer break/1L job excitement is now tainted by my lackluster academic performance. My family doesn't really get it and I don't like talking about grades with my law school friends. Does anyone have any advice?

mr.hands

Re: How to not get down about low 2nd semester grades?

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:51 pm

MrF wrote:I just finished up my 1L year at CCN and am pretty down about my grades. I was happy with my performance 1st semester but didn't do so great 2nd semester. We heard a lot this past year about not letting grades define who you are, and I definitely took that to heart by getting involved in extracurriculars, socializing, etc. However, I'm having a tough time getting past this and feel like the summer break/1L job excitement is now tainted by my lackluster academic performance. My family doesn't really get it and I don't like talking about grades with my law school friends. Does anyone have any advice?

Where do you stand, cumulatively?

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 pm

MrF wrote:I just finished up my 1L year at CCN and am pretty down about my grades. I was happy with my performance 1st semester but didn't do so great 2nd semester. We heard a lot this past year about not letting grades define who you are, and I definitely took that to heart by getting involved in extracurriculars, socializing, etc. However, I'm having a tough time getting past this and feel like the summer break/1L job excitement is now tainted by my lackluster academic performance. My family doesn't really get it and I don't like talking about grades with my law school friends. Does anyone have any advice?

Just keep at it. There's a lot of people who have that bad semester, and you just have to let it go and get back at it next semester. I had my bad semester during my 2nd semester of 2L year, but i just forgot about it and closed out the last two semesters during my 3L year with my two highest GPAs and a book award. You're a rising 2L so you've got more than enough time to make up for a mediocre GPA. Just buckle down and go to work during the day, and go have some fun in the evenings.

Just make sure you're managing your time well and you're not going out and socializing at the expense of your grades. It's absolutely correct that grades don't define you, but until you have a job lined up, they're going to play a pretty important role. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. With that said, that doesn't mean you have to be a hermit and sit in the library and study for 15 hours a day. Treat it like a job. From 9-5, you devote your time to school. In the evenings, relax, watch a movie, go out with your buddies or whatever.

Just forget about it and move on. What's done is done and dwelling on it and beating yourself up won't make things any better, nor does it serve any remotely constructive purpose.

It's cliche, but it's the best that I've got.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 pm

mr.hands wrote:Where do you stand, cumulatively?

This is a good question. To explicate, grades are a shiny star and we're all to some extent competitive people, but if you can still get to your end goals, why should you worry about the grades themselves? OCI/EIP is coming up. You'll have another shot to prove your worth by succeeding there. I think it's too early to give up hope unless you absolutely bombed it, and even then I would wager that most people would stick through the fall semester to have a shot at interviews. Your law school admission is just a ticket to those interviews. Grades will help you (and may exclude you from some places) but you can still succeed at law school.

That, or if you're really, truly worried and want to give up, give up. There's no shame in checking out of law school if you think you can do better elsewhere.

Just forget about it and move on. What's done is done and dwelling on it and beating yourself up won't make things any better, nor does it serve any remotely constructive purpose.

This is also good advice.

MrF

Postby MrF » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks everyone. I am still above median so I think I will go through OCI and see what comes out of it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:17 am

*first world problems*

Take a step back and be greatful.

over three billion people live on less than $2.50 a day.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/ ... -and-stats

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:28 am

hibiki wrote:OCI/EIP is coming up. You'll have another shot to prove your worth by succeeding there.

Success at OCI doesn't prove your "worth" unless you're hanging out with shitty people

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 am

rad lulz wrote:
hibiki wrote:OCI/EIP is coming up. You'll have another shot to prove your worth by succeeding there.

Success at OCI doesn't prove your "worth" unless you're hanging out with shitty people

Succeeding in grades doesn't either but OP seemed pretty into that. Not my place to question what makes gunners happy.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am

Nova wrote:*first world problems*

Take a step back and be greatful.

over three billion people live on less than $2.50 a day.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/ ... -and-stats

Not the time or place bro. Or wouldn't be if OP wasn't above median at CCN.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:46 am

Seriously? Above median at CCN and you're all down? That's a pretty solid place to be...

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Bronck wrote:Seriously? Above median at CCN and you're all down? That's a pretty solid place to be...

This.

Christ dude, you're at a school where 90%+ get very good paying jobs. Unless you are at the VERY VERY bottom of your class, you're in great shape to have well paying job come graduation. Chill out.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Do you know what went wrong? If so, "yay." If no, "ohh."

law2015

Postby law2015 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Above median at a CCN school.. You should worry more about other issues you have than your grades.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Lol

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”