Freaking out about my upcoming closed book crim exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fosterp

Freaking out about my upcoming closed book crim exam

Postby fosterp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:23 am

So I have about a week until my criminal law exam and this will be the first closed book exam and right now I am almost 100% sure I am going to fail or near fail.

Basically I was told a few weeks ago that this prof cares about only the cases and tests on only the cases. At the beginning of the class I checked out his old exams and most of them did involve a question about some jurisdiction usually in some early 1900s period, but a few of his involved solely general common law questions or MPC questions.

I spent most of the quarter doing the case readings, but I only read them once through unless I didn't understand the analysis, copied some brief off the web into my notes, and consulted supplements if I wasn't sure about the BLL.

Now I have made flashcards for all of the cases, and have all the BLL outlined, and its becoming very apparent that I cannot recall jack shit from memory. We have covered over 100 cases and right now I can only recall about 3 from memory where I know the facts/holding/jurisdiction/year. I don't know how I can possibly memorize 100 in addition to memorizing the BLL.

I understand fully the broad picture of the law; the general elements of everything in the course, but I cannot possibly recite each element accurately - only in the general sense. The prof for this course is also a complete prick who seems to take some sadistic pleasure in making the class as obtuse as possible. His only advice: the more you know, the better. He may make the entire test based on some obscure note after a case that identified some exception to the general rule. The only thing I know is that the test will not be the traditional issue spotter.

Does anyone have any advice that would be useful at this point? I didn't work my ass off but I didn't slack on the material either but it seems as if the only way I would have been prepared is if I had put in 3-4 hours per day on this class alone the entire quarter.

holdencaulfield

Re: Freaking out about my upcoming closed book crim exam

Postby holdencaulfield » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Cram the whole week. Do every one of his old exams. Memorize the cases (name, basic facts, basic holding). In your spare time (like when you're in bed about to fall asleep) read cases - just read them without highlighters or taking notes.

You'll be fine.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 pm

closed book is the easiest if you dont have a defective memory

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 am

Hence the reason I am getting stressed: my memory is terrible. I almost think its some sort of genetic defect because everyone in my family has the same problem.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 am

Write out exactly what the rules of law are and how the cases come into play. It'll help you remember. Then do it a bunch of times, preferably in a practice exam, but even just on a blank document. It's muscle memory, and you will remember.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 am

YOU ONLY READ EACH CASE ONCE AND MADE FLASHCARDS?!?!

Sometimes I question your commitment to sparkle motion.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:53 am

ph14 wrote:Write out exactly what the rules of law are and how the cases come into play. It'll help you remember. Then do it a bunch of times, preferably in a practice exam, but even just on a blank document. It's muscle memory, and you will remember.

in the same vein, i would practice writing out recitations of the law from memory after reviewing a condensed attack outline. i expected that i would be able to muscle memory that on to the page.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:06 am

thesealocust wrote:YOU ONLY READ EACH CASE ONCE AND MADE FLASHCARDS?!?!

Sometimes I question your commitment to sparkle motion.

What in your opinion would be regarded as sufficient number of times reading a case as its assigned during the quarter?

I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of free time to redo readings throughout the quarter, as long as I understood the case and its rationale. I didn't really sit and review case names for the purpose of memorizing them in my review of the law, it was mostly reviewing the big picture/how the law plays out/would apply in new situations.

I can remember the facts/holding/analysis of each case fairly well when reminded by some sort of trigger word - but I cannot associate the name/jursidiction/year of said case with the facts/rule. Maybe because such associations are based on pure memorization? I don't know. I can never remember the names of people either.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 am

Crim isn't so bad. If it is a racehorse/issue spotter you should be find if you know how to apply the law.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 am

You know the material. Don't psych yourself out

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”