Attorney General Internship Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FineGentleman

New

Attorney General Internship

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm an incoming college freshman. I just got this internship to work at the New York Attorney General's Office. I have never gotten an internship before nor have I had much working experience.

What am I to expect? How should I act? What would I be doing most of the time? Was I lucky to get this offer; is the attorney general a big deal? I would appreciate any tips.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: Attorney General Internship

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Which office?

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:Which office?
The one in Manhattan.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

As an incoming freshman, you have no useful skills. They're not going to have you doing anything particularly challenging. Listen to what they tell you, ask questions if you don't understand, report your progress back periodically. Don't dick around. They might have you, like, file things or deliver things around the building. Or just shadow someone to court and stuff.

I have no idea how prestigious it is, but not much you do as an 18-year-old is prestigious since (as mentioned), most 18-year-olds don't know how to do anything yet.

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

As an incoming freshman, you have no useful skills. They're not going to have you doing anything particularly challenging. Listen to what they tell you, ask questions if you don't understand, report your progress back periodically. Don't dick around. They might have you, like, file things or deliver things around the building. Or just shadow someone to court and stuff.

I have no idea how prestigious it is, but not much you do as an 18-year-old is prestigious since (as mentioned), most 18-year-olds don't know how to do anything yet.
Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 pm

FineGentleman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?
There has to be an opening and you have to be qualified for it and you have to go through the recruiting process of whatever organization it is for whatever the job is. Look up their website and find the "careers" or "jobs at the Manhattan DA" or whatever page and find out how they hire people.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 pm

FineGentleman wrote: Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?
What type of position are you ultimately seeking?

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
FineGentleman wrote: Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?
What type of position are you ultimately seeking?
Since I'm not even a freshman in college yet, I would appreciate ANY position although I am most fond of studying criminal law.

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:

There has to be an opening and you have to be qualified for it and you have to go through the recruiting process of whatever organization it is for whatever the job is. Look up their website and find the "careers" or "jobs at the Manhattan DA" or whatever page and find out how they hire people.
Upon graduating law school, would it benefit me to put this internship I will complete on my resume? It does not matter how long ago I interned, right? I feel like I'm getting a big head start.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?
LOL. I'd appreciate that.

My email is alphaandy97@gmail.com

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?
+1,000

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

FineGentleman wrote:
http://www.filedropper.com/fall2010526

I posted it there, broski. Just always remember whether you are in a common law or MPC jurisdiction. I think NY is MPC though.

And those defendants are going to try to make up all sorts of mens rea excuses, but you have to shut them down.

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:
http://www.filedropper.com/fall2010526

I posted it there, broski. Just always remember whether you are in a common law or MPC jurisdiction. I think NY is MPC though.

And those defendants are going to try to make up all sorts of mens rea excuses, but you have to shut them down.
Thanks man.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”