Attorney General Internship

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm an incoming college freshman. I just got this internship to work at the New York Attorney General's Office. I have never gotten an internship before nor have I had much working experience.

What am I to expect? How should I act? What would I be doing most of the time? Was I lucky to get this offer; is the attorney general a big deal? I would appreciate any tips.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Which office?

FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:Which office?

The one in Manhattan.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

As an incoming freshman, you have no useful skills. They're not going to have you doing anything particularly challenging. Listen to what they tell you, ask questions if you don't understand, report your progress back periodically. Don't dick around. They might have you, like, file things or deliver things around the building. Or just shadow someone to court and stuff.

I have no idea how prestigious it is, but not much you do as an 18-year-old is prestigious since (as mentioned), most 18-year-olds don't know how to do anything yet.

FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

As an incoming freshman, you have no useful skills. They're not going to have you doing anything particularly challenging. Listen to what they tell you, ask questions if you don't understand, report your progress back periodically. Don't dick around. They might have you, like, file things or deliver things around the building. Or just shadow someone to court and stuff.

I have no idea how prestigious it is, but not much you do as an 18-year-old is prestigious since (as mentioned), most 18-year-olds don't know how to do anything yet.


Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 pm

FineGentleman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

As an incoming freshman, you have no useful skills. They're not going to have you doing anything particularly challenging. Listen to what they tell you, ask questions if you don't understand, report your progress back periodically. Don't dick around. They might have you, like, file things or deliver things around the building. Or just shadow someone to court and stuff.

I have no idea how prestigious it is, but not much you do as an 18-year-old is prestigious since (as mentioned), most 18-year-olds don't know how to do anything yet.


Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?
There has to be an opening and you have to be qualified for it and you have to go through the recruiting process of whatever organization it is for whatever the job is. Look up their website and find the "careers" or "jobs at the Manhattan DA" or whatever page and find out how they hire people.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 pm

FineGentleman wrote:Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?


What type of position are you ultimately seeking?

FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?


What type of position are you ultimately seeking?


Since I'm not even a freshman in college yet, I would appreciate ANY position although I am most fond of studying criminal law.

FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:How should you act? Professionally. Not like an 18-year-old. Respectful, polite, quiet, willing, helpful, eager to learn, politically correct. You might inquire what the dress code is. Take a book to read in any downtime (if it's allowed) so you're not sitting staring at your phone and projecting the image of the stereotypical Millennial (even if you're reading a book on it).

As an incoming freshman, you have no useful skills. They're not going to have you doing anything particularly challenging. Listen to what they tell you, ask questions if you don't understand, report your progress back periodically. Don't dick around. They might have you, like, file things or deliver things around the building. Or just shadow someone to court and stuff.

I have no idea how prestigious it is, but not much you do as an 18-year-old is prestigious since (as mentioned), most 18-year-olds don't know how to do anything yet.


Very true; I don't really know how to do anything. Thanks for the reply. I have heard of people ending up working for the places they intern at. How would I go about doing this?
There has to be an opening and you have to be qualified for it and you have to go through the recruiting process of whatever organization it is for whatever the job is. Look up their website and find the "careers" or "jobs at the Manhattan DA" or whatever page and find out how they hire people.

Upon graduating law school, would it benefit me to put this internship I will complete on my resume? It does not matter how long ago I interned, right? I feel like I'm getting a big head start.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?

FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?

LOL. I'd appreciate that.

My email is alphaandy97@gmail.com

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?


+1,000

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

FineGentleman wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?

LOL. I'd appreciate that.

http://www.filedropper.com/fall2010526

I posted it there, broski. Just always remember whether you are in a common law or MPC jurisdiction. I think NY is MPC though.

And those defendants are going to try to make up all sorts of mens rea excuses, but you have to shut them down.

FineGentleman
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Attorney General Internship

Postby FineGentleman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Want me to email you my criminal law outline so you can talk some legalese with the attorneys?

LOL. I'd appreciate that.

http://www.filedropper.com/fall2010526

I posted it there, broski. Just always remember whether you are in a common law or MPC jurisdiction. I think NY is MPC though.

And those defendants are going to try to make up all sorts of mens rea excuses, but you have to shut them down.

Thanks man.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer and 10 guests