Bar Study Loans

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Joe Quincy

Re: Bar Study Loans

Postby Joe Quincy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Not a close enough relative that that's something they want to do.

You could try CitiFinancial. They've been known to grant unsecured loans based upon security interests in crap like your tv...often at really high interest rates (20-30%) but it could be worth it if you were going to be able to pay it back quickly.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Not a close enough relative that that's something they want to do.

You could try CitiFinancial. They've been known to grant unsecured loans based upon security interests in crap like your tv...often at really high interest rates (20-30%) but it could be worth it if you were going to be able to pay it back quickly.

Reminds me of people I knew who had loans based on cars in their backyard who had all but the frames already sold and coons and flowers living in the frame.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:26 pm

If OP's got any money in the bank, perhaps his bank is willing to offer a high interest line of credit?

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:06 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:If OP's got any money in the bank, perhaps his bank is willing to offer a high interest line of credit?

you mean, pay for barprep with creditcards?

I am sure you "could"...........

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 pm

ok, this idea is not socially "cool" but still an idea.

Get free food from the food trucks, and govt assistance. If you have "no income" often you can get welfare and foodstamps and even rental and cash assistance while in school. I knew plenty in undergrad who did that, they had zero shame. Many bragged.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:ok, this idea is not socially "cool" but still an idea.

Get free food from the food trucks, and govt assistance. If you have "no income" often you can get welfare and foodstamps and even rental and cash assistance while in school. I knew plenty in undergrad who did that, they had zero shame. Many bragged.

It may very slightly by state, but most of that stuff requires at least part-time employment, or serious effort to obtain employment, or children. If you get a nice caseworker, perhaps they might let it slide.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 am

Hate to pile on, but don't count on Sallie Mae. My debt load is $240K and I was rejected by SM for a $6K loan although I had a cosigner with a credit score of 770 (mine is 695). I'm borrowing from my parents.

Also, note that the number of places you've applied recently will raise a flag on your credit report. That was one of the reasons I was rejected, and I only applied to three lenders, SM included.

amk110

Postby amk110 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks for the ideas.

Right now, the school is investigating how comfortable they feel with the idea of letting me take a summer class. Though I technically meet all the graduation requirements, I was never awarded my degree because I didn't submit a JD application to the registrar. Thus, technically, I have not graduated.

The issue with BARBRI's loan is that apparently you have to have applied before the start of any of their courses. So while mine has just started, apparently there are places where courses began in mid-May, and thus I'm several weeks past the deadline.

As for Citibank loans, apparently those are now done through Discover, and they've already rejected me. They're actually quite sleazy. Their website encourages you to apply with a cosigner to increase your chances of approval, but it gives you no option to do so. In actuality, you must apply and be approved personally before being given the "option" to apply with a cosigner. I know I'll be personally rejected for everything, and I wouldn't have applied at all if they'd made that clear. Now I have an extra ding on my report.

Personal connections are not an option. I'm from the foster care system and have no family to tap into. Just friends, and none are comfortable with the idea of cosigning.

One thing is for sure... not being sure if you can continue in your bar review course really, REALLY distracts you from focusing on studying.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:27 am

sorry to hear that. the gl advisor loan is probably the easiest bar loan to get if your credit stinks, but looks like they stopped taking apps for the barbri spring semester.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 am

thelawdoctor wrote:Apply and be accepted into seems too obvious to bother typing............. :|

I was considering the timing factors. I know you can easily sign up for a summer course but there are other reguirements needed to get a loan to pay for it.

I wonder if any foster kid programs or charities have a source of funding? The problem is that grants usually take time to obtain.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:37 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:ok, this idea is not socially "cool" but still an idea.

It may very slightly by state, but most of that stuff requires at least part-time employment, or serious effort to obtain employment, or children. If you get a nice caseworker, perhaps they might let it slide.

not saying some states don't require that sometimes, but I have seen third generation cradle to grave welfare moms out there who never had and never will have any type of job

the "lifetime limits" are at best a joke, in reality an outright lie that politicians sell to us (I know you didn't mention that part, but I hear other students mention them as if craddle2grave can't still happen. It can and it does. A lot. )

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:38 pm

amk110 wrote:Thanks for the ideas.

Right now, the school is investigating how comfortable they feel with the idea of letting me take a summer class. Though I technically meet all the graduation requirements, I was never awarded my degree because I didn't submit a JD application to the registrar. Thus, technically, I have not graduated.

The issue with BARBRI's loan is that apparently you have to have applied before the start of any of their courses. So while mine has just started, apparently there are places where courses began in mid-May, and thus I'm several weeks past the deadline.

As for Citibank loans, apparently those are now done through Discover, and they've already rejected me. They're actually quite sleazy. Their website encourages you to apply with a cosigner to increase your chances of approval, but it gives you no option to do so. In actuality, you must apply and be approved personally before being given the "option" to apply with a cosigner. I know I'll be personally rejected for everything, and I wouldn't have applied at all if they'd made that clear. Now I have an extra ding on my report.

Personal connections are not an option. I'm from the foster care system and have no family to tap into. Just friends, and none are comfortable with the idea of cosigning.

One thing is for sure... not being sure if you can continue in your bar review course really, REALLY distracts you from focusing on studying.

what good will bar prep do you then? Don't you need the JD already to sit the bar in your state?

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 pm

NYstate wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Apply and be accepted into seems too obvious to bother typing............. :|

I was considering the timing factors. I know you can easily sign up for a summer course but there are other reguirements needed to get a loan to pay for it.

I wonder if any foster kid programs or charities have a source of funding? The problem is that grants usually take time to obtain.

Not even a joke here, make a viral webcam thing about it. People love the shit. It might not work, but then again, if it goes viral enough some one out there will want to get their name attached to it and donate to help. (or a bucketload of $1 paypal donations) Heck you might even make bank and net a profit.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I think you just need to find some work. Something that is high paying (for unskilled labor) while not fulltime. Waitressing would be perfect.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think you just need to find some work. Something that is high paying (for unskilled labor) while not fulltime. Waitressing would be perfect.

At the right places you can walk home with cheeks full of singles! :wink:

magp90

Postby magp90 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:40 am

This is purely anecdotal, but I work with an attorney who graduated recently who told me that he just straight up didn't pay Barbri for a while. He told them he didn't have the money, and eventually they caved and let him pay something around $500.

I obviously wouldn't consider it a viable solution, but you may be able to negotiate with them down the line? I feel for you, though, OP.

amk110

Postby amk110 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm really just appalled with my school. They refuse to let me register for summer classes, even though I haven't graduated, because the "sole reason would be to acquire living expenses." How do they even know that's the sole reason? Perhaps I genuinely want one last opportunity to take a class I didn't get a chance to take, and will never get the chance to take again. What a load of crap.

Being a summer student would make me eligible for living expenses, health insurance (which I need for ADD medication to even study properly...) and a reimbursement of all the money I spent paying bar and MPRE fees (required for licensing).

The school offered me a part-time job, $10.00 an hour. I could probably pull in about $450 a month after taxes, but I have no idea how that's supposed to cover $1000 still owed to BARBRI and about $1100-$1200 in living expenses each month.

If I get through this, God help the school if they ever ask me for money one day when I'm a rich alumni.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:11 pm

amk110 wrote:I'm really just appalled with my school. They refuse to let me register for summer classes, even though I haven't graduated, because the "sole reason would be to acquire living expenses." How do they even know that's the sole reason? Perhaps I genuinely want one last opportunity to take a class I didn't get a chance to take, and will never get the chance to take again. What a load of crap.

Being a summer student would make me eligible for living expenses, health insurance (which I need for ADD medication to even study properly...) and a reimbursement of all the money I spent paying bar and MPRE fees (required for licensing).

The school offered me a part-time job, $10.00 an hour. I could probably pull in about $450 a month after taxes, but I have no idea how that's supposed to cover $1000 still owed to BARBRI and about $1100-$1200 in living expenses each month.

If I get through this, God help the school if they ever ask me for money one day when I'm a rich alumni.

Why didn't you plan for this ahead of time, and why are you paying for bar bri instead of coping dat themis for 1/3 the cost .

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 pm

amk110 wrote:I'm really just appalled with my school. They refuse to let me register for summer classes, even though I haven't graduated, because the "sole reason would be to acquire living expenses." How do they even know that's the sole reason? Perhaps I genuinely want one last opportunity to take a class I didn't get a chance to take, and will never get the chance to take again. What a load of crap.

It's not really their fault that you didn't plan. The school has to be careful not to get in trouble for permitting prohibited borrowing with federal loans. Otherwise they can lose their ability to certify loans which would be a huge pain in the ass as well as being expensive. And permitting enrollment for the sole purpose of obtaining loans for living expenses is a direct violation of their lending rules.

It sucks you're in the position you're in but its really your own fault not theirs. They at least offered you a job which they weren't obligated to do. I'd take it and call barbri and try to work something out.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Why didn't you plan for this ahead of time, and why are you paying for bar bri instead of coping dat themis for 1/3 the cost .

It's probably too late to cop another bar course, right? That could easily save at least $1,000 (e.g., NY BarBri-$3,675.00; NY Themis-$1495).

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:25 pm

I'd definitely talk to barbri to try to work something out. They say in their materials that they contact the character fitness folks of your bar if you give out their materials to others. No idea if they would do the same if you try to stiff them (best to talk to them and work something out now). Maybe you could postpone taking the bar until February and then get a loan for the winter barbri course?

amk110

Postby amk110 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm doing everything I can to try to make it work this summer. I don't know how I'd save any cash from a job to take it in February if my loans go into repayment.

To the question as to why I didn't prepare ahead of time, I'm not sure what I was supposed to do, exactly. The school told me I was eligible to borrow an additional $6800 in Graduate PLUS loans. After that, I obviously planned to use that to pay for BARBRI and summer living expenses. As I said, I missed the deadline to accept the extra loan money, because I was not aware of it, and was preoccupied with exams, the MPRE, the bar application, and a million other things.

I didn't even know about the cheaper course. I assumed you get what you pay for, and as I thought I'd have the money for BARBRI, that's what I went with.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:16 pm

amk110 wrote:I'm doing everything I can to try to make it work this summer. I don't know how I'd save any cash from a job to take it in February if my loans go into repayment.

To the question as to why I didn't prepare ahead of time, I'm not sure what I was supposed to do, exactly. The school told me I was eligible to borrow an additional $6800 in Graduate PLUS loans. After that, I obviously planned to use that to pay for BARBRI and summer living expenses. As I said, I missed the deadline to accept the extra loan money, because I was not aware of it, and was preoccupied with exams, the MPRE, the bar application, and a million other things.

I didn't even know about the cheaper course. I assumed you get what you pay for, and as I thought I'd have the money for BARBRI, that's what I went with.

I'm just saying, I've been calculating how much cash flow I would need for months. And I triple checked deadlines to make sure I didn't end up in your position. It seemed like the prudent thing to do in this scenario...

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
memo2partner wrote:did you try the gl advisors loan? They are partnered with barbri, so you have to take barbri to get that loan (they pay part of the loan directly to barbri, the rest to you. worth a shot if you cant get other funding

--LinkRemoved--

follow that link to get preapproved. let us know what happens brosef

If OP needs to borrow 6k to survive the summer, she shouldn't be doing bar bri. There are cheaper options. I'd probably just cop dat http://baroutlines.com/

This is the answer.

OP: Your debt burden is a financial emergency, but the solution to it is NOT FINDING MORE LOANS.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:OP: Your debt burden is a financial emergency, but the solution to it is NOT FINDING MORE LOANS.

Actually, isn't that exactly the correct solution at this point? His debt is so massive that he's committed to riding dat PAYE train for 20 years no matter what, so federal loans through his school are just free money at this point.

Or are you specifically talking about private loans only?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”