Bar Study Loans Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
amk110

New

Re: Bar Study Loans

Post by amk110 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:46 pm

What should I say then? I'm a dumbass for not checking the deadlines to accept the loans? Fine. I'm a dumbass. I'm still in a rough spot, and looking for advice on what to do *now* rather than advice on what I should have done months ago.

As to more loans, my goal is public interest loan forgiveness anyway. What's another few thousand?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:57 pm

amk110 wrote:What should I say then? I'm a dumbass for not checking the deadlines to accept the loans? Fine. I'm a dumbass. I'm still in a rough spot, and looking for advice on what to do *now* rather than advice on what I should have done months ago.

As to more loans, my goal is public interest loan forgiveness anyway. What's another few thousand?
The federal plan doesn't cover Sally Mae or any other non-federal loans.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:10 pm

I would not be so dismissive about taking on debt. As it stands, there could be a not-so-insignificant tax bomb associate with loan forgiveness. Taxpayers may have to take out loans to pay off the taxes associated with loan forgiveness.

Additionally, if you're in a state that conducts C&F investigations after the bar, debt is something they take extremely seriously. Debt can make attorneys make poor decisions.

Further, public interest jobs are extremely volatile. The Legal Services Corporation is getting hammered right now. Money is tight. It might not be possible to keep a public interest job for 10 years.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:23 pm

If you wanna scam some loan money find the cheapest masters classes with an online program. Take the hours and get living expenses covered.

amk110

New

Post by amk110 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm not being dismissive about taking on debt. I'm simply stating that I need to secure an additional loan to pay for the bar preparation process. If I can't keep a public interest job for ten years, there's always the 25 year forgiveness.

Right now, I'm going to try reapplying for a smaller loan amount to see if that goes through. Otherwise, I think I may be able to get by on what I have in the bank, with additional income from the part-time job I was offered. I may also apply for a credit card for additional assistance, and am attempting to sell everything I own of value.

In any case, I appreciate the advice everyone has provided.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you wanna scam some loan money find the cheapest masters classes with an online program. Take the hours and get living expenses covered.
online ones tend to only cover $700 a month living expenses (I know a few people doing that right now)

A weekend MBA might be a better route if you want the full expenses. I know people who have done those and gotten the same as weekday students.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 pm

amk110 wrote:I'm not being dismissive about taking on debt. I'm simply stating that I need to secure an additional loan to pay for the bar preparation process. If I can't keep a public interest job for ten years, there's always the 25 year forgiveness.

Right now, I'm going to try reapplying for a smaller loan amount to see if that goes through. Otherwise, I think I may be able to get by on what I have in the bank, with additional income from the part-time job I was offered. I may also apply for a credit card for additional assistance, and am attempting to sell everything I own of value.

In any case, I appreciate the advice everyone has provided.
Well, you gotta get through today to get to tomorrow. I agree with you there, but are you saying your goal the whole time was to be poor?

If so, why even do the JD?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 pm

As someone else mentioned, definitely submit an application for public assistance. You probably qualify for food stamps, and perhaps shelter assistance. The Department of Social Services may even be able to provide you with, or direct you to a organization that can provide you with an extremely low interest/no interest loan to get you through the summer.

Best of luck on the bar exam.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 pm

OP- I was flat broke at the end of law school too. Got through the summer by self-studying, working part-time, and applying for intro credit cards (very low credit limits but also 0% APR).

Can you cancel Barbri,, get the money back, and maybe use a friend's materials? Can you couch surf for a few weeks at a time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 pm

timbs4339 wrote:OP- I was flat broke at the end of law school too. Got through the summer by self-studying, working part-time, and applying for intro credit cards (very low credit limits but also 0% APR).

Can you cancel Barbri,, get the money back, and maybe use a friend's materials? Can you couch surf for a few weeks at a time?
Focus and good sleep are vital. Working and sleeping on couches could knock down the score several points one would assume.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:16 pm

timbs4339 wrote:OP- I was flat broke at the end of law school too. Got through the summer by self-studying, working part-time, and applying for intro credit cards (very low credit limits but also 0% APR).

Can if you wanna be a cheap fuck about it, you got the materials already. Download it all.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:

Focus and good sleep are vital. Working and sleeping on couches could knock down the score several points one would assume.
It's definitely not ideal, but that's just life sometimes.

Although I found working actually helped me focus during the time I'd allotted to studying. It also helped put things into a bit of perspective.
Desert Fox wrote:Can if you wanna be a cheap fuck about it, you got the materials already. Download it all.
S'all about the hustle.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 pm

OP I'm super sorry to hear about your situation and really hope it all works out for you. I'm only a rising 3L here but I'm planning on doing public interest and I was wondering if any of you had any advice or could point me to a thread on how to get some loans for bar expenses and cost of living etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:22 pm

FlanAl wrote:OP I'm super sorry to hear about your situation and really hope it all works out for you. I'm only a rising 3L here but I'm planning on doing public interest and I was wondering if any of you had any advice or could point me to a thread on how to get some loans for bar expenses and cost of living etc.
This probably isn't particularly helpful but virtually everyone I know has moved in with family or is otherwise being supported by someone else. I moved in with my boyfriend and he's covering the vast majority of expenses this summer in exchange for me keeping the apartment clean and taking care of dinner every night. Pretty good deal on my end.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 pm

mjj wrote:
FlanAl wrote:OP I'm super sorry to hear about your situation and really hope it all works out for you. I'm only a rising 3L here but I'm planning on doing public interest and I was wondering if any of you had any advice or could point me to a thread on how to get some loans for bar expenses and cost of living etc.
This probably isn't particularly helpful but virtually everyone I know has moved in with family or is otherwise being supported by someone else. I moved in with my boyfriend and he's covering the vast majority of expenses this summer in exchange for me keeping the apartment clean and taking care of dinner every night. Pretty good deal on my end.
And by "dinner" we are to assume you mean............ 8)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 pm

thelawdoctor: What goes through your head, exactly, when you post something like that? "haha being creepy on the internet is funny lol this will be great"?

I do not understand this world.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:thelawdoctor: What goes through your head, exactly, when you post something like that? "haha being creepy on the internet is funny lol this will be great"?

well, coming from someone who chose the username "thesealocust"......................good? :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Worked before law school and then just as an RA the last year or so. For the hell of it I put in for unemployment and apparently there's a fed. defer. program that goes back to pre., 2010 if there were benefits paid in. Just got my first $1,800 for the month. Goes until December 31. Good thing as I didn't accept the job offer I had b/c it was so shit. Even if you were working as an RA it's worth applying. I told a friend to do it and he's now getting a couple of hundred a month. Not exactly very helpful, but the money is just sitting there.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you wanna scam some loan money find the cheapest masters classes with an online program. Take the hours and get living expenses covered.
BRB doing this for the rest of my life.

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:thelawdoctor: What goes through your head, exactly, when you post something like that? "haha being creepy on the internet is funny lol this will be great"?

haha it's cool I wasn't offended.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Tanicius wrote:
BRB doing this for the rest of my life.
you guys know that online courses tend to only award around $700 three times a year right? That is not enough for rent.
Defers loan repayment, but that is the only real perk to most of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”