Barbri mbe practice ?s

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RodneyBoonfield

Re: Barbri mbe practice ?s

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am

How did people do on set 5 for evidence?

Does Barbri have materials that one can use to bone up on specific areas ie hearsay and/or presentation of case?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:49 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:How did people do on set 5 for evidence?

Does Barbri have materials that one can use to bone up on specific areas ie hearsay and/or presentation of case?

Studysmart mbe on Barbri.com lets you pick questions by topics within a subject

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Finally built up the guts to hit Con Law Set 5. 20/36, so right in the wheelhouse of crappiness most people reported on that set. Some super obscure crap in there, as with most Set 5's. Feel like it should have gone better since so many 50/50 choices went the wrong way for me.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

kaiser wrote:Finally built up the guts to hit Con Law Set 5. 20/36, so right in the wheelhouse of crappiness most people reported on that set. Some super obscure crap in there, as with most Set 5's. Feel like it should have gone better since so many 50/50 choices went the wrong way for me.

Ya, I hit a 19 on that. I heard others getting crushed with 13s and 14s, so I am not too discouraged. But damn, that was a bitch

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
kaiser wrote:Finally built up the guts to hit Con Law Set 5. 20/36, so right in the wheelhouse of crappiness most people reported on that set. Some super obscure crap in there, as with most Set 5's. Feel like it should have gone better since so many 50/50 choices went the wrong way for me.

Ya, I hit a 19 on that. I heard others getting crushed with 13s and 14s, so I am not too discouraged. But damn, that was a bitch

Ya, I keep reminding myself that its above BarBri's stated standard, its still way early in the process, that Set 5 is much more difficult than the real thing will be, and that there are distinct areas that I can improve on anyway (ex. 1st Amendment).

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Dreading property sets. So much going on in these lectures.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Poor. Ill leave it at that. Not worried because I didnt miss the benchmark by that much and evidence is probably my worst MBE subject. When I took the class 2L year my prof was all about rationale/reasoning behind all the rules so I basically never learned the rules, just the reasons for them. So frustrating.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Excuse my ignorance but where do you find the benchmark for each?

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm

kaiser wrote:

Ya, I keep reminding myself that its above BarBri's stated standard, its still way early in the process, that Set 5 is much more difficult than the real thing will be, and that there are distinct areas that I can improve on anyway (ex. 1st Amendment).

OK- so this is what I was asking in the other thread I posted in "How hard is the bar?" below. Are Bar Bri's q's significantly harder than what we're going to see on the Bar Exam? I noticed a huge difference in the PRE MBE book (the practice we had to do on paper) and, say, Set 5. Which I bombed, since we're sharing how we did.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:01 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Excuse my ignorance but where do you find the benchmark for each?

One of the very first pages of the MPQ1 book lists out the standards

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:02 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
kaiser wrote:

OK- so this is what I was asking in the other thread I posted in "How hard is the bar?" below. Are Bar Bri's q's significantly harder than what we're going to see on the Bar Exam? I noticed a huge difference in the PRE MBE book (the practice we had to do on paper) and, say, Set 5. Which I bombed, since we're sharing how we did.

As we said a few times in this thread, its obviously not as hard as set 5's. Those are the hardest ones BarBri cooks up. I'd imagine the majority are somewhere in between, though there will of course be some very hard Q's on the test on some obscure points.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Property is kicking my butt

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:50 pm

con law set 5 is very discouraging. 16/36. It got to the point where I started randomly guessing on the last 4 or 5 because I kept losing focus halfway through reading the long ass question(sometimes 3 paragraphs). I even didn't do that hot in con law set 1 either. I'm doing really well in torts questions mainly cause torts shits on con law as a subject and is much more straight forward.

Advice on how to do better on con law questions? Should I just move on and hope I improve with time?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm

AntiHuman wrote:con law set 5 is very discouraging. 16/36. It got to the point where I started randomly guessing on the last 4 or 5 because I kept losing focus halfway through reading the long ass question(sometimes 3 paragraphs). I even didn't do that hot in con law set 1 either. I'm doing really well in torts questions mainly cause torts shits on con law as a subject and is much more straight forward.

Advice on how to do better on con law questions? Should I just move on and hope I improve with time?

the convisor is pretty good i think. if you can read that a few times and start to get a good handle on the material structurally, it'll go a long way in helping you answer the questions. try to break it up as much as you can. 1. standing stuff and jurisdiction. 2. legislative power (rope in commerce, taxing, and spending stuff here, even though it comes later in the CMR). 3. executive power. 4. judicial power. 5. federalism issues (cf. to legislative power with commerce/taxing/spending). [ed: forgot interstate discrimination, P and I/P or I]. Then do a hard break, and separate out the individual rights stuff completely separately. 6. contracts clause. 7. takings clause. 8. procedural due process. 9. substantive due process/EP. 10. 1A speech. 11. 1A religion (Free Exercise, and Establishment). 12. 1A association. might have forgotten stuff, but that's just from memory.

When you really break it down like that, it narrows what you have to think about for each question dramatically. There's very little overlap in the material, so if you can section it off in your head, it'll go a long way.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Got a 44% on set 1&5 for property. Having some trouble figuring out how to organize studying all the material. I get every RAP question right at least.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 am

Got 24/36. You can always count on sets 5-6 to be pretty bad though.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 am

PirateCap'n wrote:

That's gotta be higher than the target score by a fair amount right?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 am

I posted this in the Lounge for Bar Prep, but I thought I might as well add since its relevant to the topic:

Just wanted to post this for anyone having some trouble with MBEs. I had mentioned earlier about how I purchased 'Strategies and Tactics for the MBE.' So far, the book has turned out to be super clutch. I've read and used it for only two sections (the ones I was scoring the lowest on, Crim and Evidence ironically). Here were my results:

Crim Set 6 (or 5): 14/36
Read the book that night for CrimLaw
Did Set 4 (not assigned): 16/18

Evidence Set 5: 18 or 19/36
Read the book that night for Evidence
Evidence Set 6: 26/36

I know it's not conclusive by any means, but just thought I would share this in case anyone is looking for something outside of Barbri to help boost their MBE scores

AgentSCo

Postby AgentSCo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 am

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:I posted this in the Lounge for Bar Prep, but I thought I might as well add since its relevant to the topic:

Just wanted to post this for anyone having some trouble with MBEs. I had mentioned earlier about how I purchased 'Strategies and Tactics for the MBE.' So far, the book has turned out to be super clutch. I've read and used it for only two sections (the ones I was scoring the lowest on, Crim and Evidence ironically). Here were my results:

I know it's not conclusive by any means, but just thought I would share this in case anyone is looking for something outside of Barbri to help boost their MBE scores

Just curious which version you have - the 5th Edition? I'm really struggling on the MBE practice questions and could use another study tool.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 am

neimanmarxist wrote:
kaiser wrote:

P. iii in the MPQ1 book is pretty helpful on this point, if you haven't seen it.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:07 pm

usuaggie wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

That's gotta be higher than the target score by a fair amount right?

I think 20 was the goal, so it isn't way over by any means.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 pm

AgentSCo wrote:
DwightSchruteFarms wrote:I posted this in the Lounge for Bar Prep, but I thought I might as well add since its relevant to the topic:

Just curious which version you have - the 5th Edition? I'm really struggling on the MBE practice questions and could use another study tool.

Yes, thats the one. Def give it a try. Its helped me by focusing in on the most common question types and the laws that they try and trick you with.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:52 pm

My scores have really been all over the map without any seeming correlation to the purported difficulty of the set:
Contracts: Set 1: 72%; Set 3: 56%; Set 5: 81%; PRE: 84%
Crim: Set 1: 83%; Set 3: 67%; Set 5: 44%; PRE: 88%
Evidence: Set 1: 72%; Set 3: 94%; Set 5: 72%; PRE: 76%
Property: Set 1: 56%; Set 3: 83%; Set 5: 75%; PRE: 68%
Torts: Set 1: 61%; Set 2: 72%; Set 5: 58%

How have you guys felt about the PRE tests? I like the tests themselves, but I feel like the explanation videos are pretty much a waste of time since we already have the detailed answers in the book.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:My scores have really been all over the map without any seeming correlation to the purported difficulty of the set:

How have you guys felt about the PRE tests? I like the tests themselves, but I feel like the explanation videos are pretty much a waste of time since we already have the detailed answers in the book.

Have you really had all of those assigned?

I think I've only had:
Torts: Set 1, Set 2, Set 5, PRE
Conlaw: Set 1, Set 5, PRE
Contracts: Set 1

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:My scores have really been all over the map without any seeming correlation to the purported difficulty of the set:

Seems like a waste to me as well, especially since the PRE Q's are the easiest by far, and theres only a select few where I'm genuinely curious as to how I got tricked (as opposed to those where I was 50/50 and just got caught up in some incorrect wording).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”