Barbri mbe practice ?s

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RodneyBoonfield

Re: Barbri mbe practice ?s

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
BCLS wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:There is no way that the questions on the MBE are only slightly less difficult than Barbri set 5 or else we'd all be fratslammed. Con Law set 5 is kicking my ass right now and I did really well on set 1.

destroyed me too.. don't feel too bad!

Same. For reference, I pulled a 19/36.

17/36. Out of the first 19, I got 3. I was completely dumbfounded. Some of the explanations didn't entirely make sense to me either.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:04 am

The studysmart mbe seems easier on review mode. I got 15/18 torts. 9/18 on set 4

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 am

RodneyBoonfield wrote:There is no way that the questions on the MBE are only slightly less difficult than Barbri set 5 or else we'd all be fratslammed. Con Law set 5 is kicking my ass right now and I did really well on set 1.

Omg tell me bout it. Set 1 with con law, I got damn near perfect, and it boosted my confidence. Set 2 was a bit more down to earth, but still in line with BarBri standards. Then I did Set 3 and Set 5 and realized that I simply dont know this crap that well. For set 3, I was hitting under 50%, and Set 5 was raping me so bad I had to stop halfway through to clear my head. Really really discouraging seeing as I've heard Con law is typically the easiest subject on the MBE.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:11 am

kaiser wrote:

Omg tell me bout it. Set 1 with con law, I got damn near perfect, and it boosted my confidence. Set 2 was a bit more down to earth, but still in line with BarBri standards. Then I did Set 3 and Set 5 and realized that I simply dont know this crap that well. For set 3, I was hitting under 50%, and Set 5 was raping me so bad I had to stop halfway through to clear my head. Really really discouraging seeing as I've heard Con law is typically the easiest subject on the MBE.

I got a 26/36 on con law set 5 and then a 9/18 on contracts set 1. To be honest, I think the MBE questions are not super helpful right now if you don't have things decently memorized. I read over my notes once and took the contracts set, and couldn't remember shit, it was basically a waste of a question set for me. But I've taken so many con law/1A/civil liberties type classes that i've already got that all committed to memory. You'll pick it up once you really memorize the material cold

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:16 am

5ky wrote:To be honest, I think the MBE questions are not super helpful right now if you don't have things decently memorized.

completely agree

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 am

5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I got a 26/36 on con law set 5 and then a 9/18 on contracts set 1. To be honest, I think the MBE questions are not super helpful right now if you don't have things decently memorized. I read over my notes once and took the contracts set, and couldn't remember shit, it was basically a waste of a question set for me. But I've taken so many con law/1A/civil liberties type classes that i've already got that all committed to memory. You'll pick it up once you really memorize the material cold

Thanks, I'm sure you are right. I'll get back to drilling the key info first and then give the Q's another try once I'm more familiar with the notes/outlines.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:31 pm

5ky wrote:To be honest, I think the MBE questions are not super helpful right now if you don't have things decently memorized.

completely agree

I think they're helpful. You learn by getting them wrong. You think it should be one answer, see it isn't, then get an explanation as to why its wrong. That way, you learn the rule of that question plus an exception to the rule you thought applied but didn't. I find myself thinking "this is like that one question where..." which helps me.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:48 pm

I agree with ^. I am also finding a problem with the fact that Barbri asks you to go back and review the entire outline. I am fine with it, but it takes me forever and I question its worth. Is there a better way to learn the stuff at this point before reinforcing it with the practice qs?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:I agree with ^. I am also finding a problem with the fact that Barbri asks you to go back and review the entire outline. I am fine with it, but it takes me forever and I question its worth. Is there a better way to learn the stuff at this point before reinforcing it with the practice qs?

instead of making a mini outline out of the lecture handouts, I make online flashcards about the key points, vocab terms, elements, etc. Takes less time than typing out and organizing everything.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:28 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:I agree with ^. I am also finding a problem with the fact that Barbri asks you to go back and review the entire outline. I am fine with it, but it takes me forever and I question its worth. Is there a better way to learn the stuff at this point before reinforcing it with the practice qs?

The Barbri method is to learn via repetition. This is why they ask you to read without memorizing a lot. You get phrases stuck in your head.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:10 pm

usuaggie wrote:

completely agree

I think they're helpful. You learn by getting them wrong. You think it should be one answer, see it isn't, then get an explanation as to why its wrong. That way, you learn the rule of that question plus an exception to the rule you thought applied but didn't. I find myself thinking "this is like that one question where..." which helps me.

Thats true. You def still learn when you get Q's wrong. Its just so frustrating and discouraging sometimes, when you expect that you are in a position to get more Q's right. For example, I did Contracts Set 1 soon after finishing just a brief read of the material from the lecture, and got 12 right, then made my flashcards and really drilled the concepts for a few hours before doing Contracts Set 2, and got 17 right since I recalled so much more. So I guess its a balance.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:07 am

16/18 on torts practice on studysmart mbe. Was at 64 percent on the sets.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 am

usuaggie wrote:16/18 on torts practice on studysmart mbe. Was at 64 percent on the sets.

You mean just going through a random 18 Q's in self-study mode?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:26 am

kaiser wrote:
usuaggie wrote:16/18 on torts practice on studysmart mbe. Was at 64 percent on the sets.

Yup. Got one question I recognized. Got it wrong lol

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 am

usuaggie wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I like that you can filter it down to just the areas of law you are weak in, and specify the difficulty types you want to see. Looks like you can filter out all Q's you have seen before (or make it fully comprised of seen Q's for review purposes). Helpful stuff.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:41 am

kaiser wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I like that you can filter it down to just the areas of law you are weak in, and specify the difficulty types you want to see. Looks like you can filter out all Q's you have seen before (or make it fully comprised of seen Q's for review purposes). Helpful stuff.

Can't do that in the app though

Does anybody know if the PRE mbe questions (25 ?s in the book) are real mbe questions? I did 72%+ on all of those so far. Hoping the exam is similar

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:05 am

usuaggie wrote:Does anybody know if the PRE mbe questions (25 ?s in the book) are real mbe questions? I did 72%+ on all of those so far. Hoping the exam is similar

Idk if those PRE MBE Q's are real ones, but I sure hope thats how the real this is also. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I got 22/25 for Con Law, yet soon after had a 9/18 set and got raped by Con Law Set 5.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:09 am

Thought I was a Torts masterman until I pulled 42% on Set 5. Ha!

Haven't started any essay practice yet, either. None at all. Will stop phoning it in next week, at which point I'll have six weeks to get serious.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:37 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Thought I was a Torts masterman until I pulled 42% on Set 5. Ha!

Haven't started any essay practice yet, either. None at all. Will stop phoning it in next week, at which point I'll have six weeks to get serious.

I write one then if I do well, I read the second assigned essay, think what I'd write, then read the answer.

Mpt I read and outline, but don't type. I type around 100 wpm so time hadn't been an issue, but organization has.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 am

If you go to updates and other materials online, there are real MBE questions for each subject under released questions.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:23 am

usuaggie wrote:If you go to updates and other materials online, there are real MBE questions for each subject under released questions.

Have no clue what you are looking at. When I go to updates and other materials, all I see is the update document, 2 summarized note examples, and all the handouts.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 pm

kaiser wrote:
usuaggie wrote:If you go to updates and other materials online, there are real MBE questions for each subject under released questions.

Have no clue what you are looking at. When I go to updates and other materials, all I see is the update document, 2 summarized note examples, and all the handouts.

Maybe it's just UBE states that get this? Don't know why that'd be the case.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:23 pm

^^ Ya guess so

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Can someone please post where to find extra practice questions?

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:13 pm

5ky wrote:To be honest, I think the MBE questions are not super helpful right now if you don't have things decently memorized. I read over my notes once and took the contracts set, and couldn't remember shit, it was basically a waste of a question set for me. But I've taken so many con law/1A/civil liberties type classes that i've already got that all committed to memory. You'll pick it up once you really memorize the material cold
I had the same situation with Criminal Law. I got 6/18 on the first MBE quiz they directed me to because I couldn't remember anything about specific elements to crimes (all the questions I got right were from Crim Pro which is easy breezy). I took a day off, spent the next day committing most of the crimes to memory, and then bested the target goal for the next two quizzes (another 18 and a 36 question set).

So, like, at least memorize some of the material before diving in head first. Getting the vast majority of questions wrong because I didn't know the basics didn't help me at all; the "learning by doing (wrong)" method works when you have a usable, if imperfect, grasp of the material.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”