Barbri mbe practice ?s

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
5ky

Re: Barbri mbe practice ?s

Postby 5ky » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 pm

kaiser wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:Contracts Set 5, question 27 (general partner commits suicide because of gambling debts and limited partner things he's liable for p-ship debts):

The explanation in the book doesn't seem right. How is their a bargained for exchange when the limited partner had no legal detriment or benefit. He was mistaken about the fact that he was liable so he thought he had a detriment but he didn't. Is that enough?

The explanation only addresses why the unsecured creditor's not filing suit was consideration but never considers the other side of the transaction.

The limited parter got the creditor to hold off on filing an involuntary bankruptcy petition. So he absolutely got a benefit out of the exchange. Sure, it might not seem like a big deal, but we don't care about the adequacy of consideration. And the creditor got a promise from the limited partner that the debt would be paid off. Seems like a bargain-for exchange to me. And once you have that, the answer has to be D.

agreed

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:23 pm

5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:Contracts Set 5, question 27 (general partner commits suicide because of gambling debts and limited partner things he's liable for p-ship debts):

The explanation in the book doesn't seem right. How is their a bargained for exchange when the limited partner had no legal detriment or benefit. He was mistaken about the fact that he was liable so he thought he had a detriment but he didn't. Is that enough?

The explanation only addresses why the unsecured creditor's not filing suit was consideration but never considers the other side of the transaction.

The limited parter got the creditor to hold off on filing an involuntary bankruptcy petition. So he absolutely got a benefit out of the exchange. Sure, it might not seem like a big deal, but we don't care about the adequacy of consideration. And the creditor got a promise from the limited partner that the debt would be paid off. Seems like a bargain-for exchange to me. And once you have that, the answer has to be D.

agreed

I think he got a bit caught up in the fact that the limited partner didn't know about the statute, and perhaps conceived of the promise as being nothing more than an offer to pay off a debt that he doesn't have to pay. That would be the case if the limited partner simply said "I promise to pay off that debt $$" and thats the end of it. But he got something in exchange here, however small it may seem.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 pm

kaiser wrote:
5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:

agreed

I think he got a bit caught up in the fact that the limited partner didn't know about the statute, and perhaps conceived of the promise as being nothing more than an offer to pay off a debt that he doesn't have to pay. That would be the case if the limited partner simply said "I promise to pay off that debt $$" and thats the end of it. But he got something in exchange here, however small it may seem.
A big takeaway point here is that a promise not to do something that one is legally entitled to do is consideration. Remember that something is consideration if it is either a benefit to the promisee or a detriment to the promisor.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 pm

^^^

Good point

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Not to change up the subject, but does anyone know what the "benchmark" is for the simulated MBE? I'm going to take it tomorrow and just curious what the average is or what the range of scores is that Barbri says you should be hitting.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:58 pm

blong4133 wrote:Not to change up the subject, but does anyone know what the "benchmark" is for the simulated MBE? I'm going to take it tomorrow and just curious what the average is or what the range of scores is that Barbri says you should be hitting.

average last year was 108. generally it tends to be 110-115. average increase is 15-20 for test day. so if you score 110, you can expect to get 125-130 raw on the MBE. if you get 120+, you are on pace to decimate the MBE.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:10 am

blong4133 wrote:Not to change up the subject, but does anyone know what the "benchmark" is for the simulated MBE? I'm going to take it tomorrow and just curious what the average is or what the range of scores is that Barbri says you should be hitting.

--LinkRemoved--

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 am

usuaggie wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Most impressive number on the list: somebody getting 32/33 in Real Property. Just wow.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:36 pm

c3pO4 wrote:

average last year was 108. generally it tends to be 110-115. average increase is 15-20 for test day. so if you score 110, you can expect to get 125-130 raw on the MBE. if you get 120+, you are on pace to decimate the MBE.

Sure hope you're right. Just hit a 120 on the dot.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:10 pm

I did MPQ 2 sets one and two for extra practice and there's something going on with those questions -- strangely short and straightforward. The most straightforward yet. And the answers are really, really short. ??? Don't get the disparity. Been doing badly on the 5 and 6 sets and well on these? Is it Barbri's way of starting to make us feel better about ourselves (they are not assigned until tomorrow and in another week). Thoughts?

Any thoughts on what PTs are most likely? I'm thinking the worst ones -- summary judgment motion and opinion letters with 10 cases in the library.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 pm

AMCD wrote:I did MPQ 2 sets one and two for extra practice and there's something going on with those questions -- strangely short and straightforward. The most straightforward yet. And the answers are really, really short. ??? Don't get the disparity. Been doing badly on the 5 and 6 sets and well on these? Is it Barbri's way of starting to make us feel better about ourselves (they are not assigned until tomorrow and in another week). Thoughts?

Any thoughts on what PTs are most likely? I'm thinking the worst ones -- summary judgment motion and opinion letters with 10 cases in the library.

I believe the MPQ 2 has real MBE Q's in there (but can't confirm this since I havent' opened it yet), so that would explain them being shorter and more straightforward. I think BarBri writes these novel-like facts for a reason, to force you to focus and dissect. Makes it so that, when you hit a short question, you feel relieved, and can process it so much easier.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:20 pm

AMCD wrote:I did MPQ 2 sets one and two for extra practice and there's something going on with those questions -- strangely short and straightforward. The most straightforward yet. And the answers are really, really short. ??? Don't get the disparity. Been doing badly on the 5 and 6 sets and well on these? Is it Barbri's way of starting to make us feel better about ourselves (they are not assigned until tomorrow and in another week). Thoughts?

The goal for the MPQ2 sets are all higher than any of the MPQ1 sets (they're all between 68-70% goals except the half/full day and simulated final exam), so I think they are a bit easier. Whether that is supposed to be a reflection of the actual MBE or no I do not know.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Thank you for the replies. I see you are right that they set the goals as 70% on all up to set 7 -- so much for thinking I was improving!

What are you guys doing about PTs? Planning of knowing the concepts for every sort that Barbri gives, or the "major" types??

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:36 pm

AMCD wrote:Thank you for the replies. I see you are right that they set the goals as 70% on all up to set 7 -- so much for thinking I was improving!

What are you guys doing about PTs? Planning of knowing the concepts for every sort that Barbri gives, or the "major" types??

I actually think BarBri's categories are harmful. The ultimate point of a PT is to follow the damn instructions. I don't want to mess myself up by thinking "ok, this is a category X test, so I should be doing so and so" and then overlook a requirement in the instructions or do something that wasn't asked for in the instructions. My plan is to go in and read the damn instructions.

remz

Postby remz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:55 am

Are people in the taped lectures already up to the simulated MBE? I'm a little confused because my simulated MBE isn't until July 9th.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:23 am

nevdash wrote:
AMCD wrote:Thank you for the replies. I see you are right that they set the goals as 70% on all up to set 7 -- so much for thinking I was improving!

I actually think BarBri's categories are harmful. The ultimate point of a PT is to follow the damn instructions. I don't want to mess myself up by thinking "ok, this is a category X test, so I should be doing so and so" and then overlook a requirement in the instructions or do something that wasn't asked for in the instructions. My plan is to go in and read the damn instructions.

Our full day MBE in California for DVD lectures was a week ago, June 21 or whatever. We have another half day one coming up, is that the one you are doing or have you not done the full day yet?

The benchmark was 108 or 109 I think? The link is posted on this thread I believe

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:37 pm

yea i have been doing on target for everything and top 35% in the simulated MBE, but just got 56% right on MPQ2 set 1 this morning. wtf! feeling freaked out.

remz

Postby remz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 am

Is there any way to delete a completed test in StudySmart? I accidentaly quit one of the practice exams after doing 3 questions and the program marked it as complete. Obviously this messed up my score averages. Anyway to delete?

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:50 am

Just went through all the Set 6's from MPQ1, and I feel . . . violated. Those question sets demolished me. I think my composite score would be about 65%. Con Law in particular felt like a complete guessing game. :oops:

I'm doing the full MBE practice tomorrow, and I'm desperately hoping it's not as demanding. My brain feels drained after each set of 36 questions; I can't imagine what 200 questions are going to do to it.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:37 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Just went through all the Set 6's from MPQ1, and I feel . . . violated. Those question sets demolished me. I think my composite score would be about 65%. Con Law in particular felt like a complete guessing game. :oops:

I'm doing the full MBE practice tomorrow, and I'm desperately hoping it's not as demanding. My brain feels drained after each set of 36 questions; I can't imagine what 200 questions are going to do to it.

I promise it isn't that bad. If your composite score for the Set 6s is ~65%, you're going to demolish the practice MBE. My overall composite on the Barbri Qs is in the low to mid 60s (including all the easy set 1s and 3s), and I scored a 139 on the practice MBE. Needless to say, I am excited.

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:09 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:Is anyone else looking to buy additional practice MBE questions? If so, which product have you purchased or are considering purchasing?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:12 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Just went through all the Set 6's from MPQ1, and I feel . . . violated. Those question sets demolished me. I think my composite score would be about 65%. Con Law in particular felt like a complete guessing game. :oops:

What are you talking about? 65% right on Set 6's is far beyond the BarBri standards.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:44 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:Is anyone else looking to buy additional practice MBE questions? If so, which product have you purchased or are considering purchasing?

I have the strategies and tactics books which is a collection of past MBE questions, and the Kaplan Qbank PMBR questions. Strategies and Tactics is 180.

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

I have the strategies and tactics books which is a collection of past MBE questions, and the Kaplan Qbank PMBR questions. Strategies and Tactics is 180.

Strategies & tactics looks legit. Thanks.

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Any idea as to the average score on the MBE Preview 100 Question Exam? I could not find that info anywhere in the Barbri materials.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”