Barbri mbe practice ?s

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RodneyBoonfield

Re: Barbri mbe practice ?s

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Anyone get pwned on Con Law MPQ 1 Set 3?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:35 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Anyone get pwned on Con Law MPQ 1 Set 3?

YES! That was my worst set score of any set I've done among all subjects. Got like 7/18, after having gotten 17/18 on Set 1, 22/25 on PRE, etc.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm

just got me a respectable 72% on Property Set 3.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Only got 18/25 on the Evidence PRE set. But I guess its not terrible seeing as I've just barely begun skimming and reviewing the outline. Lol, thats 4 PRE sets down, and my score keep dropping for each new subject. I did con law, torts, K's, and evidence, and scored 22, 19, 19, and 18.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:24 pm

kaiser wrote:Only got 18/25 on the Evidence PRE set. But I guess its not terrible seeing as I've just barely begun skimming and reviewing the outline. Lol, thats 4 PRE sets down, and my score keep dropping for each new subject. I did con law, torts, K's, and evidence, and scored 22, 19, 19, and 18.

Those are exactly my scores except flip evidence and torts.

I also got my ass handed to me on MPQ1 Set 1 for evidence, but that was my own damn fault

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 pm

5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:Only got 18/25 on the Evidence PRE set. But I guess its not terrible seeing as I've just barely begun skimming and reviewing the outline. Lol, thats 4 PRE sets down, and my score keep dropping for each new subject. I did con law, torts, K's, and evidence, and scored 22, 19, 19, and 18.

Those are exactly my scores except flip evidence and torts.

I also got my ass handed to me on MPQ1 Set 1 for evidence, but that was my own damn fault

Just went and took MPQ Set 1 for Evidence pretty much right after the PRE set (which I haven't really reviewed yet), and got 13/18 so not bad for me. Now I just need to plow through all the explanations and drill the points that tricked me, while actually going back to study and learn and nuances of the material.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 pm

if you remembered that there are different rules for criminal/civil you already did quite a bit better than me. whoops.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 pm

5ky wrote:if you remembered that there are different rules for criminal/civil you already did quite a bit better than me. whoops.

I think I might have gotten tripped up by one of the criminal/civil distinctions. In all, evidence seems like the hardest subject for me to pick up on precisely what the issues are. So many things have so much overlap, and certain areas have only marginal (yet important) differences from others. When its torts or con law, I can pretty clearly see what the general issue is, but for evidence, I felt pretty lost until I saw the answer choices giving me a general idea of where the Q is going.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Anybody else feel like Property PRE and Set 1 were both doozies? I mean, Property was by far my worst subject 1L year, but I also feel like those questions were just objectively more intricate and difficult than the PREs and Set 1s for other subjects.

Also, I asked this question in another bar thread but didn't get a response: do any of you guys know what the PRE sets are supposed to represent? Is it a "preview" of easier questions on the subject before we begin studying? Or is it a "preview" of how difficult actual MBE questions are? Sometimes we're assigned a PRE set at the beginning of a subject and sometimes it's assigned at the end, so it's kind of confusing.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

nevdash wrote:Anybody else feel like Property PRE and Set 1 were both doozies? I mean, Property was by far my worst subject 1L year, but I also feel like those questions were just objectively more intricate and difficult than the PREs and Set 1s for other subjects.

Also, I asked this question in another bar thread but didn't get a response: do any of you guys know what the PRE sets are supposed to represent? Is it a "preview" of easier questions on the subject before we begin studying? Or is it a "preview" of how difficult actual MBE questions are? Sometimes we're assigned a PRE set at the beginning of a subject and sometimes it's assigned at the end, so it's kind of confusing.

I think they're a little easier than Set 1/2. And I think Set 1/2 are probably supposed to approximate the actual bar questions the most. The goal is around 67% for most of the subjects, with Barbri saying the "goal" is based on the average student's score. Given that the average MBE score is around 65-70%, that seems like a fair comparison to me. Assuming that an average Barbri student is roughly comparable to an average bar taker

But we're also taking these sets pretty early on. I'd guess scores would be a lot higher mid/end of July. So actually 1/2 might be a bit easier than the bar

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 pm

5ky wrote:Assuming that an average Barbri student is roughly comparable to an average bar taker
Which, of course, they shouldn't be. I mean, given that probably the majority of bar candidates take Barbri and the scores on Set 1 questions are registered many weeks before the bar, wouldn't one expect most people's scores to improve between then and the time of the bar exam?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
5ky wrote:Assuming that an average Barbri student is roughly comparable to an average bar taker
Which, of course, they shouldn't be. I mean, given that probably the majority of bar candidates take Barbri and the scores on Set 1 questions are registered many weeks before the bar, wouldn't one expect most people's scores to improve between then and the time of the bar exam?

yeah i edited that super logic fail on my part

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

I don't want to speak for you guys, but I imagine my understanding of a subject was best right after the lecture. After Torts for example, which was our first subject, I hadn't studied anything else. All of the sets that I did were while Torts and only Torts was fresh in my mind. Come July, I'll have to focus on cramming a ton of other stuff in there, and the lecture won't be as fresh. I actually assumed that scores dropped as the course went on.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Anyone else find Evidence Set 3 easier than Sets 1 and 2? For 1 and 2, I got 13, and 12 respectively, but just got 16/18 on Set 3. One error was genuine, and I really didn't know the point. The other, I clearly knew yet talked myself out of the right answer.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:29 pm

kaiser wrote:Anyone else find Evidence Set 3 easier than Sets 1 and 2? For 1 and 2, I got 13, and 12 respectively, but just got 16/18 on Set 3. One error was genuine, and I really didn't know the point. The other, I clearly knew yet talked myself out of the right answer.

I did fine in set 3, comparable to my other sets (14/18) but I thought the questions felt very off the wall, much different than the other sets.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:36 pm

kaiser wrote:Anyone else find Evidence Set 3 easier than Sets 1 and 2? For 1 and 2, I got 13, and 12 respectively, but just got 16/18 on Set 3. One error was genuine, and I really didn't know the point. The other, I clearly knew yet talked myself out of the right answer.

My results mirror yours. I got 13/18 on each of Sets 1 and 2, and 17/18 on Set 3. It could just be learning curve issues, though. At least that's what I'm hoping.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Just did the first 25 of the 100-question exam in the PRE book. Went 0/4 on Property and 21/21 on everything else. Guess I know where I need work...

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Was that the 100 Q diagnostic that we could have optionally done before the class began?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:58 pm

kaiser wrote:Was that the 100 Q diagnostic that we could have optionally done before the class began?
Yes. And I would have gotten approximately zero of them right then.

The difficulty level is on par with the rest of the sets and PRE's, from what I can tell.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
kaiser wrote:Was that the 100 Q diagnostic that we could have optionally done before the class began?

The difficulty level is on par with the rest of the sets and PRE's, from what I can tell.

Ok, so they skew to the easy side. Makes sense. Ha, I guess property must not be at all intuitive if you didn't get any right, even on the PRE stuff. I haven't done the property lectures yet but I'd imagine I'd be the same

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:54 pm

kaiser wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

Ok, so they skew to the easy side. Makes sense. Ha, I guess property must not be at all intuitive if you didn't get any right, even on the PRE stuff. I haven't done the property lectures yet but I'd imagine I'd be the same

I really don't think they're particularly easy, although they are pretty straightforward. (I actually missed one of the ones I did because it was too straightforward.) I thought I was pretty solid in Property--I'm in the 91st percentile in StudySmart--but I guess not. I think I'm gonna do the other 75 questions and then reevaluate.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I'm in the 91st percentile in StudySmart--but I guess not. I think I'm gonna do the other 75 questions and then reevaluate.

Jesus. I'm nowhere near that in any of the percentile rankings. I think in like 2 of them, I am above 50

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:34 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:I'm in the 91st percentile in StudySmart--but I guess not. I think I'm gonna do the other 75 questions and then reevaluate.

Jesus. I'm nowhere near that in any of the percentile rankings. I think in like 2 of them, I am above 50

My goal is above 50 in each. I'm at 80 in all but property, where I'm at 55ish I think.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Just ran into this document in another forum. According to the MBE statistics on page 27 of the PDF (page 32 according to the document pagination), the highest scaled score on the 2011 administrations was 188. I gotta say that it seems a bit disingenuous to claim that the test is scaled to a maximum of 200 when, out of 70,000+ test-takers, not a single one gets to within ten points of that.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Man, I hate con law so much. By far my worst subject. Been doing some practice on Multistate Edge, and for things like evidence, torts, K's, I"m hitting average of 14 right out of 17 Q's, so not bad there. But for con law, I get my ass kicked. Funny thing is, almost all Q's wrong come from individual rights. Had a messed up breakdown of:

Separation of Powers: 3/3
Nature of Judicial Review: 6/6
Individual Rights: 2/8

Well, at least I know what I have to improve on. Worst part is, I already went through CMR on the individual rights issues (EP, DP material). Still have to review 1st Amendment stuff, but I can't believe how bad I do in this area.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”