Curve Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
abbygator
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Curve Question

Postby abbygator » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:14 pm

I am attending a top 25 law school with a mandatory mean of 3.2 for 1Ls. Class ranks just came out, and the top 50% begins at 3.29. Last semester, the top 50% began at 3.25. Does this seem off to anyone else?

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Curve Question

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm

No. Look at ranks for previous classes. the median should change similarly.

abbygator
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Curve Question

Postby abbygator » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:41 pm

This is not typical though. Since the the median changed a few years ago, the top 50% typically stayed near 3.25. The highest it was ever been following the second semester is a 3.27. The way I am calculating the math is that the top 50% came out this semester at 3.3. This is way off from the standard mean. Feel free to correct me if I am being stupid.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Curve Question

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:48 pm

abbygator wrote:This is not typical though. Since the the median changed a few years ago, the top 50% typically stayed near 3.25. The highest it was ever been following the second semester is a 3.27. The way I am calculating the math is that the top 50% came out this semester at 3.3. This is way off from the standard mean. Feel free to correct me if I am being stupid.


If the professors gave out more B-'s and more A's and A-'s distributed broadly amongst people near median this could happen. Mean and Median being off .1 is large but not unreasonable.

Humpty Dumpty
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Curve Question

Postby Humpty Dumpty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:49 pm

The mean (the average) does not equal the median (the middle number).

For example, professors can get a higher median by handing out a few, really bad grades and mostly decent, but not great grades.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Curve Question

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Humpty Dumpty wrote:The mean (the average) does not equal the median (the middle number).

For example, professors can get a higher median by handing out a few, really bad grades and mostly decent, but not great grades.

Nailed it. Don't conflate mean and median, OP. It proves that law students understand fuck all about math.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Curve Question

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Danger Zone wrote:It proves that law students understand fuck all about math.


Barbri's bar prep drilled this into our heads. Any time there might be a law that deals with math or statistics, you can be sure the bar would not test it.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests