KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JenDarby

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Reading these Kaplan essay outlines is really helpful. At this point tonight I am just reading the questions, formulating answers in my head and then reviewing the outlines.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:57 pm

I seem to get consistent 3 or 4 out of 10 for my essays (NY), so I'm thinking I'm pretty fucked next week. I never was great at IRAC because it's such an unnatural way to write, but I have to really nail it because there's so many rules that I just don't know and I need all the points I can get. I guess I should have done those stupid one sheet things way back when.
My New Jersey scores ranged from 1 to 5, but mostly orange circles otherwise, so fucked there too, I guess

Also, anyone else have big gaps for your attendance sheet on the website? I listened to a lot of the lectures on my phone and I don't think it synced up or something. All tasks are done and all boxes checked on the syllabus, so I don't know what's up there. I'm of course only worried because I want to be able to take advantage of the guarantee when I have to retake this in February.

ahduke99

Postby ahduke99 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:41 am

Tanicius wrote:
Grenadine wrote:ugh I'm definitely at the point where I can state most of the general rules for the MEE topics but like 85% of the essays I've looked at are like "well that's great but unfortunately I'm testing you on this one sentence on page 1,356 of the outline about an exception to the majority rule and wow would you look at that, turns out you won't be getting any points here after all!" not here for this, bar exam, not here for this at all

Drives me crazy. I always feel like I know enough to answer an essay question, and then it feels like the practice question is asking me the one damn thing I don't know.

Yep, I feel like all the essays I've gone over today have tested me on one obscure rule that was either not on the outline or hidden at the bottom of a page. I can look at it and think I know the answer and be either completely off base or get partial credit but no way of knowing if it's good enough to pass.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:55 am

All of the essays I have done have actually been from the state, and were really straightforward. After my experience with Kaplan's additional MBE, I'm going to stick with state essay prompts.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 am

Dang 85% of MEE rules?! I figure at this point I'm doing good if I spot what the issues are, regardless of if I know the law or not. I'm literally just trying to learn enough law to know what the prompt is about...and I'm not even there at this point. Soooo....who's with me for February!

semplice

Postby semplice » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 am

For NY people: I'm finding it somewhat encouraging to read through the above-average essay answers on the NYSBOLE website: http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ ... stions.htm. These are good, on-point answers, but there are plenty of smudges in the rules. Maybe we'll be okay.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:43 am

bazinga! wrote:Dang 85% of MEE rules?! I figure at this point I'm doing good if I spot what the issues are, regardless of if I know the law or not. I'm literally just trying to learn enough law to know what the prompt is about...and I'm not even there at this point. Soooo....who's with me for February!

I know you are half joking but dint give up yet. You're taking this thing and regardless of what percent you know, you know a lot!! Use the facts to see what they imply abd just make up factors or a rule from there. Just tell yourself you're going to pass. I literally have a white board that says I will pass etc etc and after reading it everytime I pass it for a week, I'm starting to believe it even if I realize that oh shit, I don't know the rule for xyz...
Hang in there and good luck!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am

Speaking of the MEE, do you guys have an imposed word count? For my UBE jurisdiction, our MEE essays have a maximum of 5,000 characters. Is that at all what you guys have? This causes my answers to super short compared to the example answers I see for states like NY and CA.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 am

Tanicius wrote:Speaking of the MEE, do you guys have an imposed word count? For my UBE jurisdiction, our MEE essays have a maximum of 5,000 characters. Is that at all what you guys have? This causes my answers to super short compared to the example answers I see for states like NY and CA.

Yes. As I posted last night, one former TLS user found this out and created this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=217191

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 am

semplice wrote:For NY people: I'm finding it somewhat encouraging to read through the above-average essay answers on the NYSBOLE website: http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ ... stions.htm. These are good, on-point answers, but there are plenty of smudges in the rules. Maybe we'll be okay.

Oh perfect. Thanks for the report! I looked at them a long time ago and can't really remember how "good" they were. But now I'm too scared to look. Don't want to shake my confidence...

My rule statements are always ... close. But rarely exact. I always hit the issue being tested, though. Hoping that's enough for 5.0s.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:06 am

LeDique wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Speaking of the MEE, do you guys have an imposed word count? For my UBE jurisdiction, our MEE essays have a maximum of 5,000 characters. Is that at all what you guys have? This causes my answers to super short compared to the example answers I see for states like NY and CA.

Yes. As I posted last night, one former TLS user found this out and created this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217191

Cool. You ever come across example answers by real test takers for the MEE?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:34 am

Other than what semplice just posted, no.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:52 am

Huh. Well, this is very interesting all by itself. Am I reading it right? The average essay score is less than 50%, and the average MBE score is about 63%? :shock:

We're gonna be okay, y'all.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:Huh. Well, this is very interesting all by itself. Am I reading it right? The average essay score is less than 50%, and the average MBE score is about 63%? :shock:

Dang, I wish they had that for other jurisdictions!! Just scoured online and couldn't find one for mine.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

I wrote this and it was flagged:

"In NY, no consideration is needed to modify a contract. Past consideration and moral consideration are sufficient so long as the modification is in writing. this is contrasted to common law which holds that paost consideration is insufficient to modify a contract.

Kaplan comment:

"Mention that in NY past consideration can be binding with a writing."

:lol:

Grenadine

Postby Grenadine » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:38 pm

JenDarby wrote:I wrote this and it was flagged:

"In NY, no consideration is needed to modify a contract. Past consideration and moral consideration are sufficient so long as the modification is in writing. this is contrasted to common law which holds that paost consideration is insufficient to modify a contract.

Kaplan comment:

"Mention that in NY past consideration can be binding with a writing."

:lol:

they're preparing you for how the actual graders will be reading essays

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:26 pm

That big giant bold 2 on my home page is mocking me. OOF - why Kaplan? Just. Why.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:37 pm

bazinga! wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Huh. Well, this is very interesting all by itself. Am I reading it right? The average essay score is less than 50%, and the average MBE score is about 63%? :shock:

Dang, I wish they had that for other jurisdictions!! Just scoured online and couldn't find one for mine.

It should hold relatively steady. And if nothing else remember this: If MBE multiple choice is worth half your exam, hitting the average on it allows you to score in the bottom few percent and still pass.

annalisa

Postby annalisa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
bazinga! wrote:

It should hold relatively steady. And if nothing else remember this: If MBE multiple choice is worth half your exam, hitting the average on it allows you to score in the bottom few percent and still pass.

Do you mean, hitting average on MBE allows me to score in the bottom percent of the essays? That would be a relief

annalisa

Postby annalisa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Is anyone still following the final study plans? I had set mine to four hours per day, mainly so I had less things to check off, and because I have my own study plan anyway. I had noticed when I first saw the final study plan that it didn't mention any state subjects, but I just ignored it since I'm studying them on my own. Anyway, the past two days, I have checked off all the boxes in the study plan for that day, so the whole day was checked off on the right hand side. Then I log on the next day, the previous day is unchecked, and there are a whole bunch of new assignments! Granted they are just reviewing state-based subjects, but it's like the study plan realizes a day late that it's neglecting half the test. Anyone else have something weird like this happening? It's more annoying than anything.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:00 pm

ADDITIONAL MBE EXAM QUESTION 200 - Privileges and Immunities Clause

I keep messing up the Art 4 vs. the 14th amendment.
I thought art 4 was not to discriminate against OOS (out of state residents) like re: employment etc but #200 says national citizenship - Am I mistaken?
Or is it still 14th amendment for "right to travel/move to a new st" but not work in another st where you dont live (that's Art. 4)?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:12 pm

JJDancer wrote:ADDITIONAL MBE EXAM QUESTION 200 - Privileges and Immunities Clause

I thought art 4 was not to discriminate against OOS (out of state residents) like re: employment etc but #200 says national citizenship - Am I mistaken?
Or is it still 14th amendment for "right to travel/move to a new st" but not work in another st where you dont live (that's Art. 4)?

14th is right to travel with the intent of taking up residence somewhere - it's helpful to remember that it's not usually the right answer.

It applies on cases like welfare - you can't have welfare limitations because it infringes on the 14th amendment P&I right to travel (take up residence in any state).

Otherwise Article 4, section 2. If it's an OOS person just trying to WORK in the state than Art. 4.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:37 pm

JenDarby wrote:
JJDancer wrote:ADDITIONAL MBE EXAM QUESTION 200 - Privileges and Immunities Clause

14th is right to travel with the intent of taking up residence somewhere - it's helpful to remember that it's not usually the right answer.

It applies on cases like welfare - you can't have welfare limitations because it infringes on the 14th amendment P&I right to travel (take up residence in any state).

Otherwise Article 4, section 2. If it's an OOS person just trying to WORK in the state than Art. 4.

perfect - thanks!

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:55 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
bazinga! wrote:

So I believe this statement, but don't know how the math works. In my jxn MBE need a 133, MPT+MEE need a 133, for a combined 266 to pass. (MPT = 45 each, MEE = 15 each). I know it ultimately doesn't matter or affect my performance, but I feel like knowing I could eff up multiple essays may allow me to calm down a bit.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Since you guys are so awesome, K clarification please!
I always forget the rule about
family context, is the person asking getting a benefit rule - lol I can't even remember what it is about right now..conditions maybe?

Can someone please remind me of that rule/those considerations? Thanks!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”