KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bdubs

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Doesn't Kaplan have above average pass rates for almost every jurisdiction? I would think that means that an above average for the Kaplan subset is probably pretty good.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can find or figure out average percentages for the MPT and MEE scores in my jurisdiction? Does Kaplan tell you that?

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Is anyone else having this problem? I just read through a con law essay and then I went back and tried to go through another one and the same one just keeps popping up. I even exited out of the whole thing and signed back in. Did I exhaust con law essays or something? I don't even think I read that many!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm

My Kaplan rep sends us emails with tips, and I found these useful (NY):

1. Focus on "big ticket items" - Pay close attention to the Test Analysis tab. If you know the following subjects inside and out, you are poised to succeed on the essays: Wills and Trusts (Form and Execution & Distribution Under a Will are of particular importance), Family Law (especially Dissolution), Corporations, NY Practice, Criminal Law, Torts, Property and Ks.

2. Outline essays, especially for "big ticket items" - At this stage, should be outlining essays, instead of writing out full length answers. It's more efficient; you can outline 3-4 essays in the time it takes to write one. Try and focus on outlining essays in the above listed topics. It will help you with issue spotting and rule memorization (and you will still get exposure to other areas of law, as the NY BOLE generally mixes two or more areas of law in their essays). If you presuppose 15 mins per outline, you can outline 8 essays in 2 hours. If you did this today, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, you will see 40 essay fact patterns....and many more rule statements. I did this when I took Kaplan and made sure I got the rule statements I saw down on an index card so I had something to use to memorize the rules the last few days before the bar.

Basic advice, but I haven't really paid attention to "big ticket items" and have been lagging on getting moving with essays. his 15 minutes an outline point is pushing me finally.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

It's really good advice. It takes no time at all to write an outline for the essays. And it forces you to write the rule statement (which I am discovering I need to work on). And it also makes you think a little bit.

And he's totally right about the repetition of certain topics. I swear wills/trusts, family law, corps, and torts are 90% of the essays I get. And they are mostly testing the same stuff over and over again.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:25 pm

shock259 wrote:It's really good advice. It takes no time at all to write an outline for the essays. And it forces you to write the rule statement (which I am discovering I need to work on). And it also makes you think a little bit.

And he's totally right about the repetition of certain topics. I swear wills/trusts, family law, corps, and torts are 90% of the essays I get. And they are mostly testing the same stuff over and over again.

Well I know what I am doing the rest of the day! Fortunately those are the topics I have reviewed the most because they are the ones I hate the least.

silky bruh

Postby silky bruh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:31 pm

shock259 wrote:It's really good advice. It takes no time at all to write an outline for the essays. And it forces you to write the rule statement (which I am discovering I need to work on). And it also makes you think a little bit.

No corps essays on the Florida bar TYBG

semplice

Postby semplice » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:19 pm

sandcastle45 wrote:Is anyone else having this problem? I just read through a con law essay and then I went back and tried to go through another one and the same one just keeps popping up. I even exited out of the whole thing and signed back in. Did I exhaust con law essays or something? I don't even think I read that many!

Same thing happened to me. And the essay they gave me didn't really have anything to do with con law. Either it's tested so rarely they're having trouble coming up with an example or there's something wrong with the site.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Which bar are you constitution-lovers taking? Cause NY barely tests con law.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

ny

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Pokemon wrote:Which bar are you constitution-lovers taking? Cause NY barely tests con law.

Ugh, wishing I didn't have to learn con law but IL has tested it on 7 of the last 11 administrations.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Pokemon wrote:Which bar are you constitution-lovers taking? Cause NY barely tests con law.

I just came across my con law lecture outline and had NO clue what is was for since the first line is "Nature of Judicial Review", and I realized I have not looked it over once since the lectures lol.

semplice

Postby semplice » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Roger that, but Kaplan put it on my FSP.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:05 pm

semplice wrote:

I don't like my FSP. I reject it most of it.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

bdubs wrote:

Ugh, wishing I didn't have to learn con law but IL has tested it on 7 of the last 11 administrations.

I think it is total bs that states test non-state subjects like con law or evidence. What is the point of the MBE then?

Even for torts/contracts etc... the rule should be that state should test only basic distinctions.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 pm

JenDarby wrote:
semplice wrote:

+1. At this point it is each to his own. Even Fromm was like at this point you got to do what is best for you.

silky bruh

Postby silky bruh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

JenDarby wrote:
semplice wrote:

Haven't done ANY of it. My 2 hours of flashcards, 50 Florida MC, 2 essays, and 100 MBE a day do the job imo

Sunday night I will have done all the Florida QBank questions and left about 400-500 MBE QBank ones. There is no excuse for me.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I asked a Bar Bri friend and apparently Bar Bri doesn't even give a lecture on Fed Civ pro.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 pm

shock259 wrote:I asked a Bar Bri friend and apparently Bar Bri doesn't even give a lecture on Fed Civ pro.

#datKaplanadvantage

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:44 pm

I am a constitution lover, so sue me. :roll: :lol:

Where can we see what percentage in our state a subject has been tested? I know it's probably somewhere obvious, but I don't feel like wasting time looking for it.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Pokemon wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I think it is total bs that states test non-state subjects like con law or evidence. What is the point of the MBE then?

Even for torts/contracts etc... the rule should be that state should test only basic distinctions.

I don't really like it but IL has adopted the MEE for 6 of its 9 essays. Means that all of the MBE subjects are fair game and are actually tested pretty regularly.

The really annoying thing (other than con law) is having to learn "majority" law for BS like family law and trusts even if your state doesn't follow the majority. Why do I need to know 2 rules to practice in a state that only follows one of them?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:02 pm

sandcastle45 wrote:

I am a constitution lover, so sue me. :roll: :lol:

Where can we see what percentage in our state a subject has been tested? I know it's probably somewhere obvious, but I don't feel like wasting time looking for it.

Remember that you have no standing just because you like the constitution. What you are looking for on Kaplan is to the very right. Test Analysis. On the same bar as Study Plan, Practice etc.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 pm

I don't understand this question: a defendant was arrested on a charge of robbery. aftering being properly adised of his Miranda Rights, D voluntarily waived those rights and gave a brief statement. several days later he was formally arrested and charged with robbery.

Followng arraignment police brought D back to the police station and placed him in an interrogation room. 2 Detectives entered the room and stated that they would lke to ask him some questions regarding the robbery. D asked for his attorney to be present, but detecgtives already informed him that he waived his Miranda right to counsel and that it would be in his best interests to give a full confession. D then gave a full confession to robbery, which was taken down by the detective.

At trial D moved to exclude the confession. how should court rule?

A. grant the motion because D's 5th amendemtn right to counsel was violated
B. grant the motion because Ds 6th amendment right to counsel was violated.
C. Deny the motion because D voluntarily waived right to counsel.
D. Deny motion because the confession was voluntarily given and not a product of police coercion

why is it B not A?
Last edited by northwood on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:18 pm

bdubs wrote:
I don't really like it but IL has adopted the MEE for 6 of its 9 essays. Means that all of the MBE subjects are fair game and are actually tested pretty regularly.

The really annoying thing (other than con law) is having to learn "majority" law for BS like family law and trusts even if your state doesn't follow the majority. Why do I need to know 2 rules to practice in a state that only follows one of them?

This boggles my mind to no end. Why does any state use law that's not state-specific?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:25 pm

northwood wrote:I don't understand this question: a defendant was arrested on a charge of robbery. aftering being properly adised of his Miranda Rights, D voluntarily waived those rights and gave a brief statement. several days later he was formally arrested and charged with robbery.

Followng arraignment police brought D back to the police station and placed him in an interrogation room. 2 Detectives entered the room and stated that they would lke to ask him some questions regarding the robbery. D asked for his attorney to be present, but detecgtives already informed him that he waived his Miranda right to counsel and that it would be in his best interests to give a full confession. D then gave a full confession to robbery, which was taken down by the detective.

At trial D moved to exclude the confession. how should court rule?

A. grant the motion because D's 5th amendemtn right to counsel was violated
B. grant the motion because Ds 6th amendment right to counsel was violated.
C. Deny the motion because D voluntarily waived right to counsel.
D. Deny motion because the confession was voluntarily given and not a product of police coercion

why is it B not A?

6th amendment attaches after arraignment

The miranda thing is to throw you off.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”