KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nymario

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby nymario » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Is anyone else here taking the live professor course at Cardozo in NYC?

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Does anyone else feel as though the quality of the state specific materially is far inferior to that of the MBE topics covered?

I feel like I am almost wasting my time watching these lectures, especially on the material that I had a class in and is still fresh my mind. The bar notes seem to not follow the lectures very well, and moreover, the checkpoint quizzes test subjects that are not mentioned in the notes or lecture. Additionally, do we really need to be taught Professional Responsibility again after taking the MPRE?

It seems as though this information is being thrown at us in any shoddy fashion just so it can be said that we were taught it. In a way, I almost feel as though I am wasting my time. I believe that it is hurting my confidence as opposed to building it!
Last edited by Silverback on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Silverback wrote:Does anyone else feel as though the quality of the state specific materially is far inferior to that of the MBE topics covered?

I feel like I am almost wasting my time watching these lectures, especially on the material that I had a class in and is still fresh my mind. The bar notes seem to not follow the lectures very well, and moreover, the checkpoint quizzes test subjects that are not mentioned in the notes or lecture. Additionally, do we really need to be taught Professional Responsibility again after taking the MPRE?

It seems as though this information is being thrown at us in any shoddy fashion just so it can be said that we were taught it. In a way, I almost feel as though I am wasting my time. The frustration really started to increase when I scored poorly on the wills quiz, when I just took wills this past semester and received an A.

Good job on your A. I'm really happy for you and glad you mentioned the superior grade you earned in that class.

As for the state specific stuff yeah it's very inferior and really just useful to see what topics are most likely to best tested. You really don't even need to fill in the blanks because the questions are generally taken verbatim from the outline so if you are going through it you can flag the parts that they mention in the lectures. Combine that with the stars they have in the outline and the lectures are really a waste of time.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Doritos wrote:
Silverback wrote:Does anyone else feel as though the quality of the state specific materially is far inferior to that of the MBE topics covered?

It seems as though this information is being thrown at us in any shoddy fashion just so it can be said that we were taught it. In a way, I almost feel as though I am wasting my time. The frustration really started to increase when I scored poorly on the wills quiz, when I just took wills this past semester and received an A.

Good job on your A. I'm really happy for you and glad you mentioned the superior grade you earned in that class.

As for the state specific stuff yeah it's very inferior and really just useful to see what topics are most likely to best tested. You really don't even need to fill in the blanks because the questions are generally taken verbatim from the outline so if you are going through it you can flag the parts that they mention in the lectures. Combine that with the stars they have in the outline and the lectures are really a waste of time.

I apologize if I offended you!

I wasn't intending to brag, but instead, I wanted to express my frustration with the state law portion and explain how I felt that I was wasting my time. Prior to doing the Wills & Trusts section I felt confident about writing an essay on the subject, and after going through a course that was intended to improve my performance, I now feel like shit and feel like I need to be concerned with the topic. What did I gain from it? I am still trying to figure that one out. Whatever.

I think that the I will still be able to explain myself well enough on an essay to perform at a level that will result in a passing grade. However, the multiple choice quizzes instill me with doubt in my abilities.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 pm

What's up with the sample essay for wills and trusts? The second part of the prompt asks whether the contract terminated upon the death of the performing party--then the sample essay proceeds to discuss adverse possession and whether the heirs could bring a promissory estoppel or restitution claim. How is this at all related to whether the contract terminated? :shock:

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Silverback wrote:
Doritos wrote:

I apologize if I offended you!

I wasn't intending to brag, but instead, I wanted to express my frustration with the state law portion and explain how I felt that I was wasting my time. Prior to doing the Wills & Trusts section I felt confident about writing an essay on the subject, and after going through a course that was intended to improve my performance, I now feel like shit and feel like I need to be concerned with the topic. What did I gain from it? I am still trying to figure that one out. Whatever.

I think that the I will still be able to explain myself well enough on an essay to perform at a level that will result in a passing grade. However, the multiple choice quizzes instill me with doubt in my abilities.

Haha I was just kidding sorry that came off kind of harsh.

I wouldn't worry about it too much really. Often it covers stuff that they didn't mention in the lecture. I have just been looking through outline and paying attention to the general topics brought up in the lectures/in the bar notes and I think that's fine after looking at some of the sample essays.

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Doritos, what the hell are the stars in the outline suppose to represent? I can't find that answer anywhere. Highly test subjects?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 am

DNAgent wrote:What's up with the sample essay for wills and trusts? The second part of the prompt asks whether the contract terminated upon the death of the performing party--then the sample essay proceeds to discuss adverse possession and whether the heirs could bring a promissory estoppel or restitution claim. How is this at all related to whether the contract terminated? :shock:

I wondered the same thing. I think the sample outline was more useful on how to approach that part.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:04 am

oklahomabreakdown wrote:Doritos, what the hell are the stars in the outline suppose to represent? I can't find that answer anywhere. Highly test subjects?

They are the sections in the outline that match up the Bar points booklet. Each starred section appears as a bullet point in the state bar points outline. It is what they deem to be the important information or a state distinction.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am

Silverback wrote:
oklahomabreakdown wrote:Doritos, what the hell are the stars in the outline suppose to represent? I can't find that answer anywhere. Highly test subjects?

They are the sections in the outline that match up the Bar points booklet. Each starred section appears as a bullet point in the state bar points outline. It is what they deem to be the important information or a state distinction.

Yeah I just assumed that they were highly tested/important areas. They may have addressed that in one of those orientation videos I skipped. The stars did not always match up with the bar points though they do 90% of the time. I figured make sure you know the starred stuff & whats in the bar notes and once you have mastery over those move on to the other stuff, that should bring you at least to minimum competency...

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:18 pm

What are people's strats for learning the state specific stuff? We have to have all of this stuff memorized so well that we are able to write coherent essays off of the top of our head (early in the morning at that). Just watching videos day after day that introduce new topics each time and doing questions is not going to work for me.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:38 pm

BruceWayne wrote:What are people's strats for learning the state specific stuff? We have to have all of this stuff memorized so well that we are able to write coherent essays off of the top of our head (early in the morning at that). Just watching videos day after day that introduce new topics each time and doing questions is not going to work for me.

My state does state specific MC and essay, for the multiple choice I have done pure notecards, for the essay topics I got attack outlines and other outlines from people who took the bar last year.

For the pure essay topics I do a one-page attack outline in my own words, condensing the outlines/lecture notes/etc, so I can develop how I want to approach the essay topic if it shows up on the exam. I'll also go through the outlines and whatever I need to know (pure memorization wise, i.e. lists of specific factors in determining alimony) I make notecards.

Sorry for the incoherent rambling

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:04 pm

SAO, what bar are you taking?

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 pm

oklahomabreakdown wrote:SAO, what bar are you taking?

Fl

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 pm

MBE review takes up so much of my time I feel way behind on the essays. It's hard to get all this stuff done each day.

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

What's up with today's schedule? I have 3.5 hours of Federal Civ Pro lecture to watch on top of another 4 hours of state specific civil procedure. Thankfully they didn't give me a MBE quiz but I still have sixty plus questions of checkpoint quizzes to do.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:38 am

courtneylove wrote:MBE review takes up so much of my time I feel way behind on the essays. It's hard to get all this stuff done each day.

Yeah, that's what weekends are for unfortunately. Also, make sure you don't overstudy for the MBE if your state gives more weight to the essays. They say that's a common mistake.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Doritos wrote:
courtneylove wrote:MBE review takes up so much of my time I feel way behind on the essays. It's hard to get all this stuff done each day.

Yeah, that's what weekends are for unfortunately. Also, make sure you don't overstudy for the MBE if your state gives more weight to the essays. They say that's a common mistake.

I might start doing that; I'm doing Cali which is about equal essays : mbe qs, not counting the performance test. I held back on some of the earlier essays because I hadn't done Torts/Ks yet and didn't know how to analyze those pieces. I'm glad Kaplan left us a bubble of weeks at the end for review because I am definitely going to be spilling into that. It's rough to attempt writing assignments after watching hours of lectures then doing all the MBE quizzes. Bleh.

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:What are people's strats for learning the state specific stuff? We have to have all of this stuff memorized so well that we are able to write coherent essays off of the top of our head (early in the morning at that). Just watching videos day after day that introduce new topics each time and doing questions is not going to work for me.

I'm in a UBE state (MBE = 50% / MEE = 20% / MPT = 10% / State Essays = 20%), so the only state-specific portion is essentially half a day's worth of civil procedure/equity essays. 8)

The video lectures were useless (the lecturer had no ties to my state, and he skipped a lot of crucial information), but the detailed outline has been helpful. It matches my state bar's subject outline perfectly. I've been studying that and typed up ~45 flashcards (just using Word, not Kaplan's flashcard utility).

The MEE portion is worth the same as the state essay portion, yet it has about 12x the information, so I'm not being as thorough with each subject. Hopefully I'll get lucky and get MEE essays on the MBE subjects.

mness

Postby mness » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 pm

I actually feel the opposite. I feel like after the MBE midterm, they're focusing solely on nuanced state crap and I'm worried that I'm forgetting MBE stuff. I feel like with all the lectures/new topics EVERY day, I don't have time to memorize/review the old stuff.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 am

courtneylove wrote:
Doritos wrote:

I might start doing that; I'm doing Cali which is about equal essays : mbe qs, not counting the performance test. I held back on some of the earlier essays because I hadn't done Torts/Ks yet and didn't know how to analyze those pieces. I'm glad Kaplan left us a bubble of weeks at the end for review because I am definitely going to be spilling into that. It's rough to attempt writing assignments after watching hours of lectures then doing all the MBE quizzes. Bleh.

Yeah, I've actually been going rogue when comes to the syllabus. I have been knocking out all the lectures (almost done with all of them including state stuff) and then taking time to create a one sheet using the lecture notes and long outline. After that I just do practice problems all day. Seemed to work well for the MBE so I'm gonna do the same (but do essays instead of practice problems) with the state stuff.

The whole lecture in the morning then take a checkpoint quiz which often contains stuff not covered in the lectures just seems dumb to me. That's not how I did law school, I didn't walk out of a lecture and then sit down and take practice problems on the material so why would I do that now? Just do whatever works for you.

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:30 pm

It seems as though this information is being thrown at us in any shoddy fashion just so it can be said that we were taught it. In a way, I almost feel as though I am wasting my time. I believe that it is hurting my confidence as opposed to building it!

Completely agree. Most of the MBE lectures were OK, while some were horrible (i.e. evidence). Unfortunately, the state lectures have been even worse. The MD Civ Pro lecture was so bad that I had to rewind the video 5 times in the first 5 minutes (not exaggerating), at which point I said screw it and started to go through the book to fill out the outline, only to find out that the book's "outline" was about 250 pages, so I went back to trying to finish watching the video, which took twice as long as it should have. I got so fed up at that point that I watched my friend's BarBri lecture (which was much much better). Also, two other big issues: (1) the Kaplan video failed to mention that you get an extract for any civil procedure essay, which IMO is pretty important when trying to figure out how to study; and (2) incorrectly stated in the state distinctions video that the MBE section is on the first day exam. All in all, pretty unhappy with Kaplan and wish I would've taken BarBri.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I like Kaplan so far, I'm just overwhelmed by the workload. None of my grumbles have made me regret saving the extra Barbri $2000.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Doritos wrote: taking time to create a one sheet using the lecture notes and long outline.

When you say "long outline," do you mean your bar points book? Now that I'm into the state sections and going over the state subject outlines I'm wishing I had similar outlines for MBE topics. I wonder if we can order those too.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:12 am

I agree with the quality of the state lectures.

I am doing my state's civil procedure lecture, and it doesn't match up with the bar notes or the outline. I seems to me as though Kaplan recycle's old lectures, bar notes, and outlines. I think the federal civil procedure one is about 10 years old because we were given a "supplement" to "update us" on civil procedure which highlighted laws that were passed years ago. It is as if the bar notes, lectures, etc. were all produced at different times and do not correlate very well. Additionally, the checkpoint quizzes test on matters that were not even mentioned in the lecture.

At this point, I feel like I am wasting my time with the state specific material because it takes me forever to get through a lecture since I need to rewind it so many times and reference the outline. After I interpret the cryptic message that can only be revealed by referencing both sources, I have to find out where to put the information in my disorganized bar notes. I think they try to save money or something by not updating this stuff frequently or updating portions of the materials at different times, such as updating the outlines one year and not the lectures. It appears to be somewhat of a jumbled mess.

I guess this stuff isn't as crucial. Idk.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”