KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bazinga!

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bazinga! » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
bazinga! wrote:guys. UCC 9/3. I'm so screwed.

Ok, back to the outline...gahhhhhh! :evil:

I have not yet seen that lecture. I figured at this point, I might as well do it on weekend so I remember it better.

I just had to double check there is no Article 3 commercial paper on NY. A tiny relief I suppose.

That's good at least, although I think the relative difficulty of NY outweighs my bitching about UCC 3 and 9.

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I just got a notice from Kaplan that my "final study plan" is available. When I click on it at the top toolbar, it says click here to access your final study plan. There's nowhere to click...

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 pm

sandcastle45 wrote:I just got a notice from Kaplan that my "final study plan" is available. When I click on it at the top toolbar, it says click here to access your final study plan. There's nowhere to click...

Under "Study Plan" tab, the right of where you would click for the syllabus

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm

I swear that button wasn't there before!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

sandcastle45 wrote:I just got a notice from Kaplan that my "final study plan" is available. When I click on it at the top toolbar, it says click here to access your final study plan. There's nowhere to click...

Did you do something to get access to it? I still don't have one. Watched all the videos, did all the checkpoint quizzes + midpoint and final.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:20 pm

bdubs wrote:

Did you do something to get access to it? I still don't have one. Watched all the videos, did all the checkpoint quizzes + midpoint and final.

Did you do the Fromm review lectures for the final? If you not if you click those than you should get it.

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:49 pm

I actually didn't get the email until I watched the Adam Manze 3 minute video…so Idk have you done that?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:11 pm

The good news about secured transactions is that there are a lot of parallels between property law. Particularly mortgages. Disclaimer: have not yet done Secured lecture, but took course in law school.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Those that still have lectures to watch, what's your game plan? I have half of the conflicts of law lecture to finish and keep telling myself I'll do it whenever but never do. I'm nervous I'll put it off and not get to it and have an essay on c.o.l. :?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 pm

bazinga! wrote:Those that still have lectures to watch, what's your game plan? I have half of the conflicts of law lecture to finish and keep telling myself I'll do it whenever but never do. I'm nervous I'll put it off and not get to it and have an essay on c.o.l. :?

Just do it before the exam day. You can really finish it in one morning.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:43 pm

JenDarby wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Did you do the Fromm review lectures for the final? If you not if you click those than you should get it.

Thanks for the tips but I think it was just Kaplan being slow/behind. I didn't do anything really and I just got an e-mail that said my FSP was ready.

ahduke99

Postby ahduke99 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:04 pm

The one thing that puzzles me about Kaplan is why they'd ask me to write essays on Crim Pro in my final study plan when it's not an essay topic on my bar exam. In fact, most of the essays it's asking me to self grade over the next few days are all MBE subjects. I don't see how that would help me, but I guess it forces me to learn the rules.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:18 pm

bdubs wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Thanks for the tips but I think it was just Kaplan being slow/behind. I didn't do anything really and I just got an e-mail that said my FSP was ready.

oh yea, it took me a couple days to get the email. So are these actually personalized? That's kind of cool, I guess. Although I have no intention of reviewing the bar points books since they are too long and I think I am better off mastering my condensed outlines and doing MBE and essays.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 pm

So is there an online version of additional mbe exam? I like the analysis tools.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Pokemon wrote:So is there an online version of additional mbe exam? I like the analysis tools.

It's under "Practice" and then "Additional Practice Tests"

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:45 am

JenDarby wrote:
Pokemon wrote:So is there an online version of additional mbe exam? I like the analysis tools.

Thanks! You need to send Kaplan a link to this thread so that they reimburse you. You have probably provided more technical info than their reps combined.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:55 am

ahduke99 wrote:The one thing that puzzles me about Kaplan is why they'd ask me to write essays on Crim Pro in my final study plan when it's not an essay topic on my bar exam. In fact, most of the essays it's asking me to self grade over the next few days are all MBE subjects. I don't see how that would help me, but I guess it forces me to learn the rules.

MBE subjects can be essays on the bar exam.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:03 am

Pokemon wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Thanks! You need to send Kaplan a link to this thread so that they reimburse you. You have probably provided more technical info than their reps combined.

When you think about it, there's like no way to contact Kaplan.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:57 am

JenDarby wrote:From implied he used the restroom A LOT while taking bar exams. I will probably use bath room breaks to keep from getting insanely bored during the MBE.

TRUTH

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:01 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:
JenDarby wrote:From implied he used the restroom A LOT while taking bar exams. I will probably use bath room breaks to keep from getting insanely bored during the MBE.

TRUTH

So much this.

Now if I could get my MPT and essay times down so I'm not scribbling up to the last second I may not have to wear a diaper the first day :wink:

semplice

Postby semplice » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 pm

My final study plan has me reviewing entire outlines in the bar points book. I know they're not that long, but geez it's boring. It's all I can do to stay awake.

The other weird thing is that they want to practice an MPT, and one I've already done at that. Practicing MPTs seems like a waste of time, particularly since my scores were fine, but doing one I've already done is just silly. Must be a mistake.

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Well, I've officially become more stressed out/worried thinking about the logistics of the bar - parking, traffic, another event with 900 people going on at the same time in the building where do I even put my lunch/keys, etc than the actual bar exam, so I guess that's something.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

barprepbiddy

Postby barprepbiddy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Anyone have any advice for learning commercial paper and secured transactions? I am seriously regretting not taking these classes. I listened to the lectures, read the outlines, did the flashcards, and it's like they're in a different language. I know I can memorize the rules but I still won't really know how to apply them. It's really starting to stress me out.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 pm

barprepbiddy wrote:Anyone have any advice for learning commercial paper and secured transactions? I am seriously regretting not taking these classes. I listened to the lectures, read the outlines, did the flashcards, and it's like they're in a different language. I know I can memorize the rules but I still won't really know how to apply them. It's really starting to stress me out.

go back in the outlines and look at the table of contents. that will hep give you a better sense of the overall picture and then skim the paragraphs( or pages) before and after the topic to help reinforce that.. if you can make up a sentence or two to put the concept in its place, then you will be able to convey to the exam grader that you know enough of the topic, even if you don't.

that will also help you be able to apply the concepts, should the need arise for you to do that

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 pm

barprepbiddy wrote:Anyone have any advice for learning commercial paper and secured transactions? I am seriously regretting not taking these classes. I listened to the lectures, read the outlines, did the flashcards, and it's like they're in a different language. I know I can memorize the rules but I still won't really know how to apply them. It's really starting to stress me out.

Here's my best attempt to explain Commercial Paper:

I think the hardest thing to get a handle on is what the disputes are even about and who they're between. Basically, you want to proceed in this way:

1. Who is suing whom, exactly? (Is the bank that had to pay the check the one suing? Is someone who unknowingly indorsed an invalid check pissed off? Is there a thief getting sued, or are other people getting sued for indorsing a thief or taking a check from a thief?)

2. Are they suing over a negotiable instrument? Apply elements of a negotiable instrument. If it's not a valid negotiable instrument, then your Commercial Paper problem has officially ended and the plaintiff will need some other type of action, such as a contract breach.

3. Is the plaintiff (the person suing because they got screwed) a holder of the instrument? (Does the plaintiff have a right to sue over the instrument?) Apply elements for a holder. (In plain English, it's not like I can pick up a check off the sidewalk that was written to someone named Timothy, and sue on his behalf. I have to be a valid holder of the check. This usually means I paid value for the check, or someone wrote it out to me, or someone who was a previous holder indorsed me on the check.)

4. Did the person sued do anything -- i.e. sign, create or guaranty (warranty) anything -- to make them accountable to the plaintiff? In other words, did the defendant sign, create, present or indorse a valid negotiable instrument and give it or cause it to be given to someone else?

5. If yes, does the defendant have any defenses or waivers against being held liable they can make? (Make sure they didn't waive liability in the indorsement of the check. Meanwhile, fraud in the factum and fraud in the inducement are going to be the most common defenses, especially if a thief is involved. But remember, there are two types of defenses, and the distinction between them matters.)

6. Is the person suing them a holder in due course? (This matters because it limits the defenses; fraud in the inducement is the big one that doesn't apply to protect you when the plaintiff is a holder in due course.) Apply the elements to HDC status, the most important being: did a valid holder give value for the check?

7. Okay, so the defendant's getting sued and has no defenses that apply, either because the plaintiff is a HDC that limits his available defenses, or because the plaintiff is just a regular holder but no defenses of any kind are applicable. But can the defendant kick liability down to someone else? (Ex: A presentment warranty is typically violated by the person who presents the non-payable check to the bank, so the presenter is the first to get sued, but they may in turn have an action against the person who transferred to them the check, and that transferor may in turn have another action against a previous transferor or perhaps the drawer of the check.)

Review one of your previous or current Commercial Paper essay problems, and try just issue spotting for an issue involving one of those seven steps. Hope this helps.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”