KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Pokemon
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Pokemon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:14 pm

They are in PDF format right above the video button.

User avatar
bazinga!
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bazinga! » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
Pokemon wrote:In my case, I always seem to suffer the same damn issue. I am usually able to spot the legal theory behind it. For example that this is marital versus separate property question, that there is a question of appreciation, and am able to figure all the elements to resolve it, but am not able to remember the entire rule of law (the unnecessary parts to the fact pattern), which is so annoying.


Same. I keep getting comments that say things like "use the legal terminology/language" or "more clearly state all of the elements."

The problem is I usually can only remember the element that is at issue and can't remember the details/wording of the other unnecessary elements.

I don't think I am capable of remembering all of the elements of every test or cause of action that could be tested.


Just out of curiosity what are your scores without naming the elements clearly? That is my problem I am finding, but I have submitted a bunch of essays that haven't been graded yet. :?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bdubs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 pm

bazinga! wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Pokemon wrote:In my case, I always seem to suffer the same damn issue. I am usually able to spot the legal theory behind it. For example that this is marital versus separate property question, that there is a question of appreciation, and am able to figure all the elements to resolve it, but am not able to remember the entire rule of law (the unnecessary parts to the fact pattern), which is so annoying.


Same. I keep getting comments that say things like "use the legal terminology/language" or "more clearly state all of the elements."

The problem is I usually can only remember the element that is at issue and can't remember the details/wording of the other unnecessary elements.

I don't think I am capable of remembering all of the elements of every test or cause of action that could be tested.


Just out of curiosity what are your scores without naming the elements clearly? That is my problem I am finding, but I have submitted a bunch of essays that haven't been graded yet. :?


I'm generally getting about 50% of the possible points on the "rule" elements, but it depends a bit on the particular rule at issue and grader.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:06 pm

hey guys, i have been through all of the guidance videos they have posted and have not for the life of me been able to find what percentages we should be aiming for on the MBE practice questions. Any suggestions for what percentage is an average score, what percentage is a very good score?

Sorry if this has been answered back in the thread somewhere, but...I'm in crunch time and don't have time to read 20 pages of comments! :D

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bdubs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:17 pm

soccerfreak wrote:hey guys, i have been through all of the guidance videos they have posted and have not for the life of me been able to find what percentages we should be aiming for on the MBE practice questions. Any suggestions for what percentage is an average score, what percentage is a very good score?

Sorry if this has been answered back in the thread somewhere, but...I'm in crunch time and don't have time to read 20 pages of comments! :D


Based on the practice tests I think the guideline is around 55-60% to be "on track" to pass the bar, however I think the Qbank questions are on average harder than the practice tests. I haven't seen any other guidance on Kaplan's site, but it might exist.

User avatar
bazinga!
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bazinga! » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:23 pm

soccerfreak wrote:hey guys, i have been through all of the guidance videos they have posted and have not for the life of me been able to find what percentages we should be aiming for on the MBE practice questions. Any suggestions for what percentage is an average score, what percentage is a very good score?

Sorry if this has been answered back in the thread somewhere, but...I'm in crunch time and don't have time to read 20 pages of comments! :D


My jxn I need a 133/190 (yes it's scaled but this is my guideline) so I've been shooting for 70% and figure if I can achieve this with any consistency I'm golden. This hasn't happened yet but I'm hoping for it on my next practice test, especially after watching Fromm.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:25 pm

bdubs wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:hey guys, i have been through all of the guidance videos they have posted and have not for the life of me been able to find what percentages we should be aiming for on the MBE practice questions. Any suggestions for what percentage is an average score, what percentage is a very good score?

Sorry if this has been answered back in the thread somewhere, but...I'm in crunch time and don't have time to read 20 pages of comments! :D


Based on the practice tests I think the guideline is around 55-60% to be "on track" to pass the bar, however I think the Qbank questions are on average harder than the practice tests. I haven't seen any other guidance on Kaplan's site, but it might exist.

Oh my gosh really? This would be fantastic news.

And I'm assuming this means you do "average" in the other areas as well I guess? I'm assuming MC is going to be by far my best subject, so I'll need to make up for (relative) deficiencies elsewhere.

User avatar
Grenadine
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Grenadine » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Ugh I was so close to being consistently at the high 60s/low 70s% point like a week or two ago but ever since, I've done consistently worse and worse. Like I can't tell if the questions are somehow getting harder (nice, but doubtful), or I've gotten to the point where I know the law well enough to overthink everything (probably), or if I'm just getting dumber (ditto.)

Pokemon
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Pokemon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I only use the book exercises to keep track of how I am doing, though I do questions on online qbank. I feel like a lot of qbank questions are hard and think that they might have some sort of an algorithm that assigns harder questions with time since I rarely improve.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bdubs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Grenadine wrote:Ugh I was so close to being consistently at the high 60s/low 70s% point like a week or two ago but ever since, I've done consistently worse and worse. Like I can't tell if the questions are somehow getting harder (nice, but doubtful), or I've gotten to the point where I know the law well enough to overthink everything (probably), or if I'm just getting dumber (ditto.)


Same, although it seems like I keep getting harder than average questions lately.

ETA: Agree with Pokemon that they seem to have an algorithm that is adjusting question difficulty.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Pokemon wrote:I only use the book exercises to keep track of how I am doing, though I do questions on online qbank. I feel like a lot of qbank questions are hard and think that they might have some sort of an algorithm that assigns harder questions with time since I rarely improve.

It seems like this was mentioned in a video, though I don't know if he meant it's adjusted the more questions an individual does, or the closer to exam time it gets.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13320
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm doing qbank questions on my iPad in sets of 30 and I have it set not to reuse questions. The test I'm currently taking has multiple questions from the test I JUST FINISHED. C'mon Kaplan.

User avatar
silky bruh
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby silky bruh » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:10 pm

JenDarby wrote:I'm doing qbank questions on my iPad in sets of 30 and I have it set not to reuse questions. The test I'm currently taking has multiple questions from the test I JUST FINISHED. C'mon Kaplan.


Had to stop doing problems on the iPad because of that. So annoying.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13320
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Bro Bono wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I'm doing qbank questions on my iPad in sets of 30 and I have it set not to reuse questions. The test I'm currently taking has multiple questions from the test I JUST FINISHED. C'mon Kaplan.


Had to stop doing problems on the iPad because of that. So annoying.

It really sucks since it's so easy to just sit around with the iPad and do them.

User avatar
Grenadine
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Grenadine » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Awesome. Actually I think I am seeing more questions where I picked the wrong answer but at least a decent percent of people went with it. As opposed to the ones where Kaplan just kicks me when I'm down when they're all "good job, you are the special asshole who went against the crowd and picked the answer a whole 2% of you went with! :D "

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby shock259 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:I'm doing qbank questions on my iPad in sets of 30 and I have it set not to reuse questions. The test I'm currently taking has multiple questions from the test I JUST FINISHED. C'mon Kaplan.


Yep. I noticed the same thing with my iPhone app. Dumb.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:I'm doing qbank questions on my iPad in sets of 30 and I have it set not to reuse questions. The test I'm currently taking has multiple questions from the test I JUST FINISHED. C'mon Kaplan.

I will say I only just discovered the app a couple days ago, and I absolutely love it for doing flashcards on my iphone. Really wish I had picked that up at the beginning of the summer.

semplice
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby semplice » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Grenadine wrote:Awesome. Actually I think I am seeing more questions where I picked the wrong answer but at least a decent percent of people went with it. As opposed to the ones where Kaplan just kicks me when I'm down when they're all "good job, you are the special asshole who went against the crowd and picked the answer a whole 2% of you went with! :D "


LOL. Yep, know the feeling.

cocoapuffs1
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby cocoapuffs1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 am

Just for anyone taking the additional practice mbe this week (I couldn't find this info. anywhere so e-mailed Kaplan), was told to add 25 to get your scaled score.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:59 am

cocoapuffs1 wrote:Just for anyone taking the additional practice mbe this week (I couldn't find this info. anywhere so e-mailed Kaplan), was told to add 25 to get your scaled score.


Thanks!!

annalisa
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby annalisa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:08 pm

bazinga! wrote:
annalisa wrote:Has anyone thought about the end of studying yet? What I mean is, when do you think you'll stop studying? I read somewhere online that suggested to stop studying Monday (29) at noon. Any thoughts?

Also, any suggestions on whether it is better to take the additional practice test sooner rather than later? I was thinking of taking it next Sunday (27) and spend the next two days going over it. Should I take it this week instead?


My last day studying will be Sunday, but Monday I will probably just look over outlines to keep sharp and maybe a random rule will stick in my brain or something. I am planning on taking another practices test on Wednesday or Thursday, but taking today through then to focus on essays because my issue spotting sucks.

Is anyone thinking about purchasing a real former exam from the NCBE for $50? I kind of would rather take that than another Kaplan practice exam just to see how I do on actual bar questions. If anyone is planning on it let me know which one you plan on purchasing and we can commiserate on any weird questions.


Not sure if you have purchased the exams yet, but I asked my Kaplan rep about them and he suggested to not even bother since the questions are "released so they won't be used anymore." On one hand I think that's a good point, on the other, maybe it's just a conspiracy to keep us away from the supposedly "easier" MBE questions and stick to the harder Kaplan ones?? lol well, either way, thought I'd share in case you hadn't spent the money yet.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13320
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:11 pm

The NCBE questions are basically all the shorter easier questions on the bar so it's not exactly representative of what the real bar exam will be like either. I'm just sticking with Kaplan.

User avatar
bazinga!
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bazinga! » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 pm

cocoapuffs1 wrote:Just for anyone taking the additional practice mbe this week (I couldn't find this info. anywhere so e-mailed Kaplan), was told to add 25 to get your scaled score.


awesome info, thanks!

User avatar
bazinga!
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby bazinga! » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:33 pm

JenDarby wrote:The NCBE questions are basically all the shorter easier questions on the bar so it's not exactly representative of what the real bar exam will be like either. I'm just sticking with Kaplan.


What?! Dang, I wish I had read/thought of this before I dropped $50 on one. Oh well, I guess extra practice can't hurt.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13320
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 pm

bazinga! wrote:
JenDarby wrote:The NCBE questions are basically all the shorter easier questions on the bar so it's not exactly representative of what the real bar exam will be like either. I'm just sticking with Kaplan.


What?! Dang, I wish I had read/thought of this before I dropped $50 on one. Oh well, I guess extra practice can't hurt.

It's still helpful I'm sure. I considered buying one anyways, I just feel like I don't even have the time to add on more things lol.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: natemac60, splitterfromhell and 11 guests