KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mr. Pink

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Mr. Pink » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Finished up the final MBE review thing today and started on the FSP stuff just to see what it's like. Not sure if I am a fan yet. I tried to do the essay and the site went down; came back on and it said I had already completed it.... so I don't know. Does anyone know if this counts against our "attendance" for retaking purposes if we need to redo the class for Feb?

ahduke99

Postby ahduke99 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am

Yeah what is the re-take policy? I've attended every "class" and done all of the work and checkpoint quizzes and 50+ MBE's a day since July 1, but I have pushed back my final practice exam a few days. Our essays are self-graded(South Carolina), but I am taking the final MBE this weekend instead of today. Will that cause them to not allow me to re-take the course if I don't pass the actual exam?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 am

ahduke99 wrote:Yeah what is the re-take policy? I've attended every "class" and done all of the work, but I have pushed back my final practice exam a few days. Our essays are self-graded, but I am taking the final MBE this weekend instead of today. Will that cause them to not allow me to re-take the course if I don't pass the actual exam?

I talked to a rep about this in the beginning and he said you can move around when you do the activities and it doesn't matter. I think you hit have to have everything on the "track progress" tab completed. If you read the terms on the log in page it explains it (I'm not at my computer), and they're very brief.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 pm

ahduke99 wrote:Yeah what is the re-take policy? I've attended every "class" and done all of the work and checkpoint quizzes and 50+ MBE's a day since July 1, but I have pushed back my final practice exam a few days. Our essays are self-graded(South Carolina), but I am taking the final MBE this weekend instead of today. Will that cause them to not allow me to re-take the course if I don't pass the actual exam?

I know you can take the final late and it still count towards the attendance. It's just a matter of getting the written portion back with enough time to review it because it takes ~5 days to get it returned (for CA at least)

ahduke99

Postby ahduke99 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Mr. Pink wrote:
ahduke99 wrote:Yeah what is the re-take policy? I've attended every "class" and done all of the work and checkpoint quizzes and 50+ MBE's a day since July 1, but I have pushed back my final practice exam a few days. Our essays are self-graded(South Carolina), but I am taking the final MBE this weekend instead of today. Will that cause them to not allow me to re-take the course if I don't pass the actual exam?

I know you can take the final late and it still count towards the attendance. It's just a matter of getting the written portion back with enough time to review it because it takes ~5 days to get it returned (for CA at least)

Our written portion is self-graded I believe (South Carolina), it just told me to take it in the work book and said not to submit them online. The MBE is of course submitted online. They emailed us the answer key for the essays so we could go over them ourselves, which kind of sucks because I have no idea what my actual score would be.

I've passed all of the essays so far, but got slammed harm for misstating one rule in the conclusion where I had it correct in the rule statement. They docked off my points all the way to the point where I nearly failed.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:24 pm

ahduke99 wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:

Our written portion is self-graded I believe (South Carolina), it just told me to take it in the work book and said not to submit them online. The MBE is of course submitted online. They emailed us the answer key for the essays so we could go over them ourselves, which kind of sucks because I have no idea what my actual score would be.

I've passed all of the essays so far, but got slammed harm for misstating one rule in the conclusion where I had it correct in the rule statement. They docked off my points all the way to the point where I nearly failed.

Hmm.... They emailed or posted (I can't remember) the model answers for the written portion for us to self grade, but we also had the ability to submit them for grading... which I did because I prefer to have the feedback. I got screwed on mine because I first I thought it was only self graded, so I ended up doing other "random" PTs and essays in lieu of the final so that I could get the feedback.... then found out we had to submit ours. I ended up having to take the entire exam in a day and a half.

If you go to Track Progress, check the bottom right hand corner for the Simulated Exam and see if you can submit through there... that's where mine was.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Does this final study plan seem like crap to anyone else?

Mine has a ton of super specific things it wants me to do that are totally random. Doesn't make any sense. For today, it's telling me to review my Con Law one sheet for 30 min, look over my bar notes for Wills and Trusts 1 hour, then do 8 homicide MBE questions in 30 min, then review my bar notes for Family law for 1 hour, then write out rule statements for Evidence for 30 min, etc.

ADD much, Kaplan?! I think I'm just going to totally ignore that.

Here's my final study plan:

1) Review NY attack outlines for all NY subjects
2) outline 5 random essays, review answers
3) Do 30 NY MC
4) review 1 NY topic thoroughly (starting with most frequently tested, working my way down)
5) Review MBE attack outlines for all MBE subjects
6) Do 50 MBEs
7) Anything else that feels like it needs doing

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:07 pm

I called and the representative said that the FSP was included with the attendance requirements to get the Money Back Guarantee... so it has to be "done"

But she didn't sound to sure and when I asked for verification she put me on hold for about 3 seconds and came back saying she asked her manager and he confirmed that it does count; so take it for what it's worth. However, you can easily just click the stuff without actually doing the assignment, so it isn't too bad.

I have my own plan as well, but I will be clicking off the boxes and doing the MBEs through FSP just in case...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Mr. Pink wrote:I called and the representative said that the FSP was included with the attendance requirements to get the Money Back Guarantee... so it has to be "done"

But she didn't sound to sure and when I asked for verification she put me on hold for about 3 seconds and came back saying she asked her manager and he confirmed that it does count; so take it for what it's worth. However, you can easily just click the stuff without actually doing the assignment, so it isn't too bad.

I have my own plan as well, but I will be clicking off the boxes and doing the MBEs through FSP just in case...

hmm this seems questionable since the task list changes based on how many hour days you want to do

but no biggie in just clicking some boxes

I just did the FCP and CalCP checkpoint quizzes - sooo long!

IFNB

Postby IFNB » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 pm

What are your thoughts on Kaplan's approach to the MPT? I'm starting to think that all of the detailed note-taking is a bit too time-intensive. Has anyone altered your approach. Thoughts, tips, etc.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:I called and the representative said that the FSP was included with the attendance requirements to get the Money Back Guarantee... so it has to be "done"

hmm this seems questionable since the task list changes based on how many hour days you want to do

I still haven't don't the FCP one. It seems like such a poor use of my time.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Ugh, just finished my MBE practice final and got 133, which is kind of a bummer since I got 129 on the midterm. Also a bit alarming, I can't seem to locate my MEE final. My jurisdiction is weird and I know I don't have all the same books as my friends in NY, but surely there's some essays for me to practice on! Did anyone have to do their MEE online and not in paper form?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 pm

JenDarby wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

It just felt like a review - it was useful to me at least.but not more useful than just reviewing the topic.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm

JenDarby wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

As a heads up on the FCP one, several of the questions it's useless to read the fact pattern. It's worth your time to read the interrogatory first to check and see if it's just asking for a rule recitation.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:56 pm

^ awesome, thanks. I am going to do it now while watching tv since I know I have to do it at some point.

ahduke99

Postby ahduke99 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Mr. Pink wrote:
ahduke99 wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:

Hmm.... They emailed or posted (I can't remember) the model answers for the written portion for us to self grade, but we also had the ability to submit them for grading... which I did because I prefer to have the feedback. I got screwed on mine because I first I thought it was only self graded, so I ended up doing other "random" PTs and essays in lieu of the final so that I could get the feedback.... then found out we had to submit ours. I ended up having to take the entire exam in a day and a half.

If you go to Track Progress, check the bottom right hand corner for the Simulated Exam and see if you can submit through there... that's where mine was.

Oh yeah, it's there. The email I got from the regional rep said they don't actually put much weight on grading our essays because they'd prefer to us to self assess where we are, so I guess that's why I thought it was self-graded. Sadly I already did self-grade so submitting them now would be a waste.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 pm

bazinga! wrote:Ugh, just finished my MBE practice final and got 133, which is kind of a bummer since I got 129 on the midterm. Also a bit alarming, I can't seem to locate my MEE final. My jurisdiction is weird and I know I don't have all the same books as my friends in NY, but surely there's some essays for me to practice on! Did anyone have to do their MEE online and not in paper form?

My midterm and final practice exam results were essentially the same too, and they were both in the range of your scores.

After going through the review videos though I think the issue is just that there are too many exceptions. Most of the exceptions that I missed on the midterm either weren't tested on the final or I got them right this time around. I am hoping this will actually lead to a higher score on the exam even if my practice scores aren't going up. Fingers crossed.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 pm

JenDarby wrote:^ awesome, thanks. I am going to do it now while watching tv since I know I have to do it at some point.

I got 80% while drinking wine and watching money ball. I'm going to call that a win and barely review FCP since that's my best checkpoint quiz score lol.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:32 am

JenDarby wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

I just clicked answers and basically skipped it. I was not a fan of the lecturer and couldn't follow the outline with him; got frustrated and said fuck it. I ended up going over my old class notes instead.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:20 am

Do you guys plan on taking the additional MBE practice exam? If so, when?

I just took the MBE final; I am really surprised about my answer patterns. That is, I will go for around 15 questions, getting about 80% right, and then for the next 15 questions would miss over 60-70% of the answers. Did anyone else have a similar experience? Cannot tell whether they make groups of questions harder than other ones, or whether I have low endurance so my brain logs on and off as I go through exam.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:41 am

I've got the 'final' assigned tomorrow throughout the day, and was looking at doing the additional one next Tuesday or maybe Wednesday in the two 3 hr portions.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:37 am

Pokemon wrote:Do you guys plan on taking the additional MBE practice exam? If so, when?

I just took the MBE final; I am really surprised about my answer patterns. That is, I will go for around 15 questions, getting about 80% right, and then for the next 15 questions would miss over 60-70% of the answers. Did anyone else have a similar experience? Cannot tell whether they make groups of questions harder than other ones, or whether I have low endurance so my brain logs on and off as I go through exam.

I'm doing 1/2 of the additional tomorrow and 1/2 next friday.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:37 am

Pokemon wrote:Do you guys plan on taking the additional MBE practice exam? If so, when?

Yeah that happene to me, I missed 13/20 on the first row of 20 on the second half, then only 2/20 on the next row, then the next two rows it was somewhere between that. Weird. But I would definitely have streaks of wrong answers. I wonder if it has to do with them grouping rules together? Like I would have the same rule tested 2-3 questions in a row and often it was some obscure exception they were ferreting out that I just didn't know.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 am

I think that has more to do with the difficult of the questions than anything. Mine was similar. I had one streak where I got almost 25 right in a row. And then I had ones where I missed a LOT.

I do think I am going to do the additional MBE, though. I think maybe the Friday before the exam. Enough time to review it. I just hope the results don't stress me out.

silky bruh

Postby silky bruh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 am

shock259 wrote:

I think that has more to do with the difficult of the questions than anything. Mine was similar. I had one streak where I got almost 25 right in a row. And then I had ones where I missed a LOT.

I do think I am going to do the additional MBE, though. I think maybe the Friday before the exam. Enough time to review it. I just hope the results don't stress me out.

Same here on all counts. I started off 23/25, then from 100-125 I missed twenty or so.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”