KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sidhesadie

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:23 pm

JenDarby wrote:It's my fault for waiting until late June to submit essays for grading, but I hope Kaplan is really on their game despite being inundated by procrastinators. I submitted a couple this weekend which and would love to get grades in the next few days.

Edit: oh Kaplan, you spoil me. I received an email that one was graded as I was posting this.

I really do hope we have an essay on domestic relations, it's by far my best NY subject.

My essays have consistently taken 5-7 days to get returned (business days), though I had two come back faster, both from the same grader.

My kaplan keeps logging me out repeatedly, while doing MBE's and essays.

Doesn't save the essays either. SO ANNOYED.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:25 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
JenDarby wrote:It's my fault for waiting until late June to submit essays for grading, but I hope Kaplan is really on their game despite being inundated by procrastinators. I submitted a couple this weekend which and would love to get grades in the next few days.

Edit: oh Kaplan, you spoil me. I received an email that one was graded as I was posting this.

I really do hope we have an essay on domestic relations, it's by far my best NY subject.

My essays have consistently taken 5-7 days to get returned (business days), though I had two come back faster, both from the same grader.

They always tell us to write essays in word/offline but within the time limit and then just copy paste to submit.

Also, my essays have been graded within 2-4 business days (so far).

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm guessing there's some system where essays are distributed amongst various graders and speed depends on the person. I haven't received a grade for the essay I submitted on Saturday but I did receive a grade for the essay I submitted on Sunday.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Yeah. Some I get back in ~1 day and some take like 5-6 days. BOOOOO

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Ouch, my first completely closed book essay (submitted on the 7th) came back a 2.0 with notes saying I need to work on issue spotting. Here's to a long 2 weeks of frantically doing essays!

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:01 pm

JJDancer wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:

They always tell us to write essays in word/offline but within the time limit and then just copy paste to submit.

Also, my essays have been graded within 2-4 business days (so far).

Yeah, I know I should do them in word. I think of it every time I lose one. :lol:

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 pm

so how much harder is the final supposed to be than the real thing again? I've heard increase 15, increase 25, and increase 30. that thing was absurd...testing on exceptions to exceptions to rules. one example--a fireworks exception to an exception to a rule that I had literally never heard before.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:so how much harder is the final supposed to be than the real thing again? I've heard increase 15, increase 25, and increase 30. that thing was absurd...testing on exceptions to exceptions to rules. one example--a fireworks exception to an exception to a rule that I had literally never heard before.

My messages had a note that says to add 15, even though one of the lecture things says 30. It said that the 30 was based on an older exam that was 'less representative' of the MBE, and this is "more representative" so add 15.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:53 pm

Haha, same thing happened to me early last week. Was texting someone about not getting two I had submitted the week before, and got them both as I was sending it. I figured they would be a bit behind with the holiday as well as everyone submitting more stuff now, AND the finals that were all just submitted.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 pm

So I took the final MBE and got a 131. The short 3:32 video from Adam Maze said to add about 30 points to the raw score because 1) the questions are harder and the real MBE will have ~20 "easy" questions that the Kaplan final doesn't include (to help us, makes sense); and 2) because of the ~20 scale that the bar gives you. He also stated that the national avg for that same test is 106-108.

But then Fromm's lecture where he goes over all the questions started out by saying that the avg is 122-125 and to add 15 for the scaled grade... no mention on the "harder v. easier" questions (and neither mentioned that 10 are not graded on the MBE).

Anyone know which is the correct one to follow? I'm thinking Fromm's lecture is because I believe it is the more recent video, but I'm not sure. I just know I need to get more right either way.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:11 am

Look in the course updates tab. Add 15 for scaling, not 30.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 am

shock259 wrote:Look in the course updates tab. Add 15 for scaling, not 30.

Great... I'm average.... I knew my momma was lying to me

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

what I wanna know is what the person who passed the bar with the lowest MBE score got on this exam. THAT would be a useful piece of information. who gives a shit about what the average is? this isn't a law school exam.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Is Kaplan going to update a post 7/18 schedule. I am kind of glad to be left on my own devices, I am just surprised by it.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Pokemon wrote:Is Kaplan going to update a post 7/18 schedule. I am kind of glad to be left on my own devices, I am just surprised by it.

Once you click watched on the last mbe review video it creates a final study plan based on the info online about your scores for the next two weeks based on 4-6-8 hr study days.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Chris Fromm is seriously a godsend. He's got me cracking up in the library on these final MBE review videos. I'd really recommend these, actually. I almost skipped over them, but they are a good overview of a ton of different MBE concepts. Takes forever to get through, but I'm finding it helpful, even if most everything is familiar.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:58 pm

shock259 wrote:Chris Fromm is seriously a godsend. He's got me cracking up in the library on these final MBE review videos. I'd really recommend these, actually. I almost skipped over them, but they are a good overview of a ton of different MBE concepts. Takes forever to get through, but I'm finding it helpful, even if most everything is familiar.

Agreed. Takes forever but useful.

The first day I ran through them all one by one but the second day felt more efficient.

I only watched the ones I got wrong. then I did some other review work and then I watched the videos for the ones I got correct b/c sometimes there would be useful tips or charts he created even for Qs I got correct that were a bit more clear and easier to remember. but it helped me keep my focus because I knew for the first half I was listening more intently and had it playing at a slower speed and the second half I had it sped up and was half listening just for the nuggets of clarity I needed. So not having to switch my attention level was better for me.

semplice

Postby semplice » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26 pm

I haven't done the final MBE yet, but you guys have pretty much sold me on watching the videos once I do. Now I'm wondering if I should have watched them for the mid-term. Are those as good?

Also-- the New York multiple choice final! Sheesh! Anyone know the grade distribution on those? I know Separac says 95% score between 10 and 40 (raw), but anyone have more details?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 pm

semplice wrote:I haven't done the final MBE yet, but you guys have pretty much sold me on watching the videos once I do. Now I'm wondering if I should have watched them for the mid-term. Are those as good?

Also-- the New York multiple choice final! Sheesh! Anyone know the grade distribution on those? I know Separac says 95% score between 10 and 40 (raw), but anyone have more details?

I made sure to go over each answer choice for the midterm one (through the written explanation) which was really helpful. I only watched the videos for select questions.

ARACECAR

Postby ARACECAR » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 pm

I've been lurking for awhile. Really frustrated with Kaplan's essay grading. I've basically gotten a 2/6 on every essay I've submitted, (with a few random 3/6 and 5/6 essays which do to my eye do not seem different from the other 2/6 answers) it seems like if you don't regurgitate the exact rule in the model answer they automatically give you a 2/6.

Honestly sometimes it seems like they don't even bother reading what's submitted and just give a two (I just got feedback on an MPT telling me that I need to organize around the two main prongs of the analysis- I guess the bold subheadings and separate analysis sections wasn't good enough for them?).

I don't really need or want additional motivation- I just want to know if my essays actually will net me a passing score on the exam or not.

Mr. Pink

Postby Mr. Pink » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Fromm has some good points and approaches in the Foundation course too in case you haven't checked those out. I'm really good at narrowing it down to the two fighters in the choices, but just need to get better at picking the right one between those :?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 pm

ARACECAR wrote:I've been lurking for awhile. Really frustrated with Kaplan's essay grading. I've basically gotten a 2/6 on every essay I've submitted, (with a few random 3/6 and 5/6 essays which do to my eye do not seem different from the other 2/6 answers) it seems like if you don't regurgitate the exact rule in the model answer they automatically give you a 2/6.

Honestly sometimes it seems like they don't even bother reading what's submitted and just give a two (I just got feedback on an MPT telling me that I need to organize around the two main prongs of the analysis- I guess the bold subheadings and separate analysis sections wasn't good enough for them?).

I don't really need or want additional motivation- I just want to know if my essays actually will net me a passing score on the exam or not.

Not sure what you mean by 2/6? But I'm gonna guess you just mean 2.0's. Anyway, when you self-grade, how do your answers compare to the sample answer/sample outline? Do you hit all the major issues? Are you coming to the right conclusions?

Also, is it the same person grading that has been grading all your essays? If so, they may just be a harsh grader.

ARACECAR

Postby ARACECAR » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 pm

shock259 wrote:Not sure what you mean by 2/6? But I'm gonna guess you just mean 2.0's. Anyway, when you self-grade, how do your answers compare to the sample answer/sample outline? Do you hit all the major issues? Are you coming to the right conclusions?

Also, is it the same person grading that has been grading all your essays? If so, they may just be a harsh grader.

Not sure if all jurisdictions grade on the same scale, but the essays in my jurisdiction are graded on a 1-6 scale (a 2.0 on our scale means "does not demonstrate minimum competency" and a 3.0 means "demonstrates some competency"). I do all essays closed book and have since the beginning, but usually I spot the right issues and get to the right conclusion. Talking to other people in my class it sounds like everyone is pretty much getting 2.0/6 on nearly every essay submitted (with a handful of outliers).

It sounds like other states are different though, which is good.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:22 pm

shock259 wrote:Not sure what you mean by 2/6? But I'm gonna guess you just mean 2.0's. Anyway, when you self-grade, how do your answers compare to the sample answer/sample outline? Do you hit all the major issues? Are you coming to the right conclusions?

I think essay grading is on a different scale depending on your state.

I think the Kaplan examples for my state's past essays suck when I compare them to the actual law, but they are still superior to my answers because I am still getting parts of the law wrong.

What do you all do when you hit an issue and you're not sure what the law is? Do you throw out a best guess? That's what I've been doing so far but it makes some of my answers look downright silly. I wonder if they average down or take off points for applying the wrong law.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 pm

In regards to essays, I'm in NY.

Ive received three grades and they have been 4/10, 5/10 and 8/10 (in that order).

The 8/10 I happened to know the subject matter really well from outside bar prep knowledge, bit I noticed many of my points came from using LOTS of facts from the prompt, super basic outline organization and obvious buzz words.

I think that if you don't know the answer, you can still end up OK by following IRAC, stating issues and incorporating facts, and applying whatever you know of relevant law.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”