KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Pokemon

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Fellow kaplanites, is your kaplan down? Or is my shitty starbucks connection too slow? I can log in, but cannot open the page with all the bar stuff.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Pokemon wrote:Fellow kaplanites, is your kaplan down? Or is my shitty starbucks connection too slow? I can log in, but cannot open the page with all the bar stuff.

Mine is good.

Can somebody explain to me what's required for federal service of process? The outline seems thin on this. I know my state has a ton of requirements, but what if it's in the federal district court of my state? Do the process conform to the requirements of that state? When, if ever, can somebody be served w/ certified mail?

semplice

Postby semplice » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Pokemon wrote:Fellow kaplanites, is your kaplan down? Or is my shitty starbucks connection too slow? I can log in, but cannot open the page with all the bar stuff.

Mine's down too. Ridiculous.

semplice

Postby semplice » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:59 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:

Mine is good.

Can somebody explain to me what's required for federal service of process? The outline seems thin on this. I know my state has a ton of requirements, but what if it's in the federal district court of my state? Do the process conform to the requirements of that state? When, if ever, can somebody be served w/ certified mail?

Yeah, the outline is not so good here. The general requirements are in FRCP 4(e), and there are special rules for corporations, service in a foreign country, etc. thereafter. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_4#rule_4_e_1.

Under 4(e)(1) you can serve just as you would under state law, but conformance with state law could not be required (because of Erie and Hanna v. Plumer I think and all that stuff). So if you have satisfied another method described in FRCP 4 or you just serve like you would for a state claim, you're good.

Also-- it looks like FRCP only mentions mail when the defendant is in a foreign country, is a corporation, partnership, etc., or is the United States.

So that's my read, but I haven't passed the bar yet so you should probably look at the rule yourself.

Grenadine

Postby Grenadine » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:09 pm

My Kaplan is still down with that same server error message I've seen literally every other day. Super pleased I'm getting my money's worth.

sandcastle45

Postby sandcastle45 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Mine was down but now it's okay. I do get that error message a lot though...

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:44 pm

You can't work ahead in Barbri because they upload videos as they go AND I hear there are major website issues all the time.

It's really unavoidable when a fuck ton of neurotic people spend their entire day on website.

annalisa

Postby annalisa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:36 pm

JenDarby wrote:You can't work ahead in Barbri because they upload videos as they go AND I hear there are major website issues all the time.

It's really unavoidable when a fuck ton of neurotic people spend their entire day on website.

I have a lot of problems with the website too, I get that error message that's all in code at least once per day. From time to time I get logged out in the middle of a qbank quiz, which I don't understand since that is the least likely time to be inactive? As annoying as it is, I always just shrugged it off mainly because of the amount of people trying to get on the website, but also because I look at Kaplan like the low budget, independent version of Barbri, lol. Like these things are expected for Kaplan. If I paid nearly $4000 for Barbri though and still had these issues I'd be ripshit.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Yeah I get the error message frequently, but always just close out and reopen it and it's fine. I agree it's annoying, especially during a qbank quiz or when my video decides to restart randomly after I pause it, but never enough to regret going with Kaplan. I am a little concerned about not having this long outline though because there are areas of the law I feel a little shaky on and it would be nice to be able to really read up on those certain areas.

On a different note, what's everyone's post-video/lecture schedule going to look like? I am hoping to do 100 Q's a day and between 3 and 6 essays this coming tuesday-sunday with MPTs thrown in maybe wednesday/thursday/sunday, then the week before the exam ramp it up to 200Qs one day (maybe an essay too) then 6 essays and 2 MPTs the next alternating like that through sunday. Take monday easy and rest up maybe looking over lean sheets at most.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:54 pm

bazinga! wrote:On a different note, what's everyone's post-video/lecture schedule going to look like? I am hoping to do 100 Q's a day and between 3 and 6 essays this coming tuesday-sunday with MPTs thrown in maybe wednesday/thursday/sunday, then the week before the exam ramp it up to 200Qs one day (maybe an essay too) then 6 essays and 2 MPTs the next alternating like that through sunday. Take monday easy and rest up maybe looking over lean sheets at most.

im working on memorizing my attack outlines for each subject, outlining 2-3 essays per day, and doing 70 MBE questions per day

Grenadine

Postby Grenadine » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:57 pm

bazinga! wrote:Yeah I get the error message frequently, but always just close out and reopen it and it's fine. I agree it's annoying, especially during a qbank quiz or when my video decides to restart randomly after I pause it, but never enough to regret going with Kaplan. I am a little concerned about not having this long outline though because there are areas of the law I feel a little shaky on and it would be nice to be able to really read up on those certain areas.

Did you get that Kindle book from the post in the academic support tab like at the very beginning of the course? It's the same thing as the long outline book. Or at least it is for me, idk maybe it differs by state.

Also is anyone else running out of essays to practice? Like I was hoping I would actually be able to answer these things on my own by the time I got through entire topics, which, nope.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Grenadine wrote:
bazinga! wrote:Yeah I get the error message frequently, but always just close out and reopen it and it's fine. I agree it's annoying, especially during a qbank quiz or when my video decides to restart randomly after I pause it, but never enough to regret going with Kaplan. I am a little concerned about not having this long outline though because there are areas of the law I feel a little shaky on and it would be nice to be able to really read up on those certain areas.

Did you get that Kindle book from the post in the academic support tab like at the very beginning of the course? It's the same thing as the long outline book. Or at least it is for me, idk maybe it differs by state.

Also is anyone else running out of essays to practice? Like I was hoping I would actually be able to answer these things on my own by the time I got through entire topics, which, nope.

if you are out. try taking prompts and answering only writing issue and rule statements... if you want to be daring, do a big rule statement then go down some forks in the road.. i.e. talking about covenants with the land.. talk about covenants running with the land, easements, equitable servitudes.. is not actual practice, but it should help solidify concepts

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 pm

Grenadine wrote:

no I haven't/didn't do that but I will now! Thanks!

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:08 pm

northwood wrote:
bazinga! wrote:On a different note, what's everyone's post-video/lecture schedule going to look like? I am hoping to do 100 Q's a day and between 3 and 6 essays this coming tuesday-sunday with MPTs thrown in maybe wednesday/thursday/sunday, then the week before the exam ramp it up to 200Qs one day (maybe an essay too) then 6 essays and 2 MPTs the next alternating like that through sunday. Take monday easy and rest up maybe looking over lean sheets at most.

im working on memorizing my attack outlines for each subject, outlining 2-3 essays per day, and doing 70 MBE questions per day

smart. My memorization of elements is definitely shaky at best outside of the easiest concepts. Also, the non MBE topics are a bit of a mess for me so taking some time out to memorize through writing out elements wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe scarifies some MBE Qs to spend time writing out elements. Trying to get my ducks in a row so I don't look back and think "damn, if only I had ... I would have been in a much better spot!"

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 pm

northwood wrote:

Jesus.

I need to get working.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:26 pm

bazinga! wrote:
northwood wrote:

smart. My memorization of elements is definitely shaky at best outside of the easiest concepts. Also, the non MBE topics are a bit of a mess for me so taking some time out to memorize through writing out elements wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe scarifies some MBE Qs to spend time writing out elements. Trying to get my ducks in a row so I don't look back and think "damn, if only I had ... I would have been in a much better spot!"

I personally think its important to at least have a good concept of the big picture ideas of the law.. that way you can at least show the graders that you are in the correct ballpark. and you may find that by getting really good at the big picture you can flub your way through an area that you don't know ( i.e if the questions is about some random topic- such as differentiating between a fee simple determinable in an essay where the testator ( grandma)died who owned the land outright and left it to X and Y as joint tenants so long as they host ragers every Saturday with at least 10 kegs of beer, otherwise to V church) then you can talk about testamentary substitutes- hwo they allow a person to control the division of their property post mortem, joint tenancy( PITT, rights and obligations) and how if they don't abide by grandma's wishes they will lose their interest in the land and it will go to V church)

Grenadine

Postby Grenadine » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:42 pm

northwood wrote:if you are out. try taking prompts and answering only writing issue and rule statements... if you want to be daring, do a big rule statement then go down some forks in the road.. i.e. talking about covenants with the land.. talk about covenants running with the land, easements, equitable servitudes.. is not actual practice, but it should help solidify concepts

yeah, that's a good idea. I'm pretty embarrassing when it comes to actually picking what the question is asking about but at least being able to say a legal rule of some kind should be enough not to entirely blow it.

e: aka what you literally just said above, oops

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Just did my "final" MBE under test-like conditions. I finished all 200 questions in a little over 4 hours. Got 130/200, or 65%. Was hoping for higher, as I got 134/200 on the midterm. Guess it's time to review everything, update my notes, and motivate myself to keep on studying.

Not sure what my final attack plan is going to be for these last two weeks. Scared that I'm going to burn out if I do too many MBEs/day. But maybe that's my best bet.

Here's my ambitious daily plan:
1) Review lean sheets each morning, force myself to memorize elements
2) Do ~100 MBEs
3) Outline a few essays
4) Do ~30 NY MC
5) ??

Maybe I should do the additional full-length MBE at some point, too?

Edit: has anyone looked at this "final study plan"? It doesn't seem all that helpful. Just tells me to review everything as far as I can tell. And only assigns ~15 MBEs each day.

annalisa

Postby annalisa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:21 pm

I haven't had the final yet, so my final plan doesn't start til Friday the 18, unfortunately. So far, my main concern is memorizing the state law for essays. So I've got about 120 flashcards and I figure if I can memorize 20 per day for six straight days, do at least one full essay per day, I shouldn't be in that bad of a place.

As far as MCQ, I was thinking of doing 100 per day, but I'm not sure if it's better to sit down and do them straight through or split them up 50 in the morning and 50 later in the day? It's not doing the questions that will be a time-suck, it's reviewing the answers. I know it's important and I find it helpful to review the answers but sometimes my mind just wanders.

I guess this plan also completely disregards the plan that Kaplan puts together for you. Thoughts?

annalisa

Postby annalisa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:22 pm

bazinga! wrote:
Grenadine wrote:

no I haven't/didn't do that but I will now! Thanks!

The Kindle outline was seriously a life saver for me this entire time. It's so much easier to use the search function than endlessly flip through pages and pages of that giant book.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:40 am

shock259 wrote:Just did my "final" MBE under test-like conditions. I finished all 200 questions in a little over 4 hours. Got 130/200, or 65%. Was hoping for higher, as I got 134/200 on the midterm. Guess it's time to review everything, update my notes, and motivate myself to keep on studying.

Not sure what my final attack plan is going to be for these last two weeks. Scared that I'm going to burn out if I do too many MBEs/day. But maybe that's my best bet.

2) Do ~100 MBEs
3) Outline a few essays
4) Do ~30 NY MC
5) ??

Edit: has anyone looked at this "final study plan"? It doesn't seem all that helpful. Just tells me to review everything as far as I can tell. And only assigns ~15 MBEs each day.

You should maybe take more time answering questions too, dude. Using only 2 of your 3 hours for each half of the MBE is cheating yourself out of a lot of questions you would get right if you'd just read the facts closer and eliminate more certainly incorrect answers.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:16 am

Yeah. Also, that. :P

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 am

shock259 wrote:Just did my "final" MBE under test-like conditions. I finished all 200 questions in a little over 4 hours. Got 130/200, or 65%. Was hoping for higher, as I got 134/200 on the midterm. Guess it's time to review everything, update my notes, and motivate myself to keep on studying.

2) Do ~100 MBEs
3) Outline a few essays
4) Do ~30 NY MC
5) ??

I haven't really been practicing NY MC. Perhaps I should add in about 15 a day for good measure.

I plan on doing about the same study plan.

I also should slow down a bit on the MBE, 3 hours is just SO long, but perhaps I would get more answers correct.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 am

so many torts and criminal activities.... and so many NY distinctions.. good golly miss molly this thing itself must be some sort of a tort

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:47 pm

It's my fault for waiting until late June to submit essays for grading, but I hope Kaplan is really on their game despite being inundated by procrastinators. I submitted a couple this weekend which and would love to get grades in the next few days.

Edit: oh Kaplan, you spoil me. I received an email that one was graded as I was posting this.

I really do hope we have an essay on domestic relations, it's by far my best NY subject.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”