KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tanicius

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 am

Mr. Pink wrote:I am half drunk and mostly tired, so forgive me if I misunderstand the posts here... but an attorney told me as I was getting ready for bar prep that MBEs are basically choosing the best of 4 wrong answers. I have found that to be true. You can read a question and know the answer... but that answer isn't available and you have to choose the most logical of what is there. I don't think it is a Kaplan thing, but just MBE in general. A friend of mine who passed last year is one of those piss you off genius tyoes that doesn't try and scores great.... he consistently scored in the 85-95% range on all his MBE quizzes/practice tests and said something similar- you have to go against the answer you wish you could argue. I find myself wanting to argue both sides of two different answers, and I usually end up having to guess.

It's really a big pain in the ass. The bar is grading us on something that would get us disbarred otherwise- let a client walk in you roffice and give you their version of the story, spend a minute or so, with no research, and tell them how it will turn out.... see what happens

This is so perfectly spot-on accurate. Have you considered taking the MBE while drunk? Cause you're a genius in that state.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 am

Pokemon wrote:Where on the syllabus are most of you guys? Anyone behind or am alone in having that honor?

I'm with you unfortunately. I'm about a day and a half (have like 45 min of a video to finish up this morning) behind the syllabus on videos and depressingly behind on essays. I've done like four. :oops: So if I fail, then Kaplan will probably just tsk tsk judgmentally at me while they cash my check.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:26 pm

bazinga! wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Where on the syllabus are most of you guys? Anyone behind or am alone in having that honor?

I'm with you unfortunately. I'm about a day and a half (have like 45 min of a video to finish up this morning) behind the syllabus on videos and depressingly behind on essays. I've done like four. :oops: So if I fail, then Kaplan will probably just tsk tsk judgmentally at me while they cash my check.

Yeah I'm not sure what all you have to do for the guarantee (everything, probably) but I have noticed if I watch a video on the iPhone app, it doesn't register that I watched it in my program, and I sure as hell am not watching them again. Also, I had to go through and input and upload my midterm answers THREE TIMES before it finally acknowledged I did it. Each time, it gave me the analyzation and review, score, etc.Then next time I logged in, it was gone and said I didn't do it.

So I would be happy to argue with them about whether I've "done" things based on their crappy system that doesn't register I did things.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
bazinga! wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure what all you have to do for the guarantee (everything, probably) but I have noticed if I watch a video on the iPhone app, it doesn't register that I watched it in my program, and I sure as hell am not watching them again. Also, I had to go through and input and upload my midterm answers THREE TIMES before it finally acknowledged I did it. Each time, it gave me the analyzation and review, score, etc.Then next time I logged in, it was gone and said I didn't do it.

So I would be happy to argue with them about whether I've "done" things based on their crappy system that doesn't register I did things.

If you just click the "Track Progress" tab on the top it lists all the things you need to do still.

If it says you haven't watched a video, just click the link and it marks it as watched. I know it's annoying if you already watched it, but probably worth the two seconds just in case.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:06 pm

yeah, I've been doing that, I'm just not sure it will suffice if they don't show that I actually watched it. I feel sure they can track that.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:47 pm

sidhesadie wrote:yeah, I've been doing that, I'm just not sure it will suffice if they don't show that I actually watched it. I feel sure they can track that.

Nah, I think if you have that check mark in the box you are good to go. Hopefully you pass and it doesn't matter, but either way I wouldn't worry.

Actually, as a matter of fact my Kaplan class leader TOLD US in our in class lecture that if we ever forgot to sign in then we could just click that box and not watch and it was the equivalent and counted for attendance.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 am

Kaplan bro checking in. Doing well on the MBEs, distressingly behind on completing the assigned essays. Thinking of copping dem lean sheets as well.

We're almost home, yall. Now is the time to make it happen.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:50 am

I feel fucked an I don't know what to do about it.

I got 48% on the MBE midterm, but I had been out of town the last two weeks of June so I hadn't watched K, Torts, or ConLaw yet and I was told 50% was average. Y'all can tell me if that's actually average or if I as talking to someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

I've done about 450 practice MBE questions and a couple dozen essays. I have been consistently putting in 3-4 hours a day but I don't know if that's enough. Probably not. See, Supra Note 1 ("I feel fucked an I don't know what to do about it.")

I want to do more, but I think I'm burnt out. I sit down to watch a lecture, and anything and everything on the internet is more interesting than doing work, so that by the time I finish my lecture(s) for the day, it's too late to do any practice tests. Today is the last day for substance review, and I've been stacking up lectures so that I'll be caught up from the two weeks I was gone in June. I guess I'll have to wait for the tests coming up this week to really assess where I'm at.

Am I seriously behind on how much work I'm doing every day?

barprepbiddy

Postby barprepbiddy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

lisjjen wrote:I feel fucked an I don't know what to do about it.

I got 48% on the MBE midterm, but I had been out of town the last two weeks of June so I hadn't watched K, Torts, or ConLaw yet and I was told 50% was average. Y'all can tell me if that's actually average or if I as talking to someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

I've done about 450 practice MBE questions and a couple dozen essays. I have been consistently putting in 3-4 hours a day but I don't know if that's enough. Probably not. See, Supra Note 1 ("I feel fucked an I don't know what to do about it.")

I want to do more, but I think I'm burnt out. I sit down to watch a lecture, and anything and everything on the internet is more interesting than doing work, so that by the time I finish my lecture(s) for the day, it's too late to do any practice tests. Today is the last day for substance review, and I've been stacking up lectures so that I'll be caught up from the two weeks I was gone in June. I guess I'll have to wait for the tests coming up this week to really assess where I'm at.

I'm in a similar boat. I got about 55% on my midterm and my scores have not really been going up since then so I'm freaking out.

I have been doing work all along, but I'm realizing it hasn't been enough or it hasn't been productive enough because I'm not retaining anything. I bought lean sheets and am considering doing adaptibar in addition to the Kaplan MBE questions. My plan from here on out is to do 100 questions per day and try to memorize the lean sheets.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:05 pm

To the posters above; I am in a similar boat cause had to travel a lot during June (not my choice). Keep on going and doing the work even if you are behind. Passage rates at most bars are 90%... so even if behind you can do well enough to join that group by working hard now. This is a test of minimal competency.

annalisa

Postby annalisa » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Everything on the internet is WAY more interesting! I am having a similar problem. Usually when I had to sit down and write a paper or something, I'd just shut off the wifi and that'd help a lot. But that method doesn't really help with the online class!!

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:44 pm

What do you mean the last day for substance review? Have I missed something crucial??

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:56 pm

bazinga! wrote:

What do you mean the last day for substance review? Have I missed something crucial??

I think the poster just means that today is the last day of lectures. The remaining two weeks are meant for MBE, essays, practice tests, etc.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 pm

bazinga! wrote:

Not sure how your particular course is, but for my state (and Lisjjen's if I understand his point), today is the last day we actually have a lecture with "new" material, i.e., an outline to fill in and a checkpoint quiz. Everything after today is practice and review.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:03 pm

fish tacos wrote: Not sure how your particular course is, but for my state (and Lisjjen's if I understand his point), today is the last day we actually have a lecture with "new" material, i.e., an outline to fill in and a checkpoint quiz. Everything after today is practice and review.

TITCR

I'm happy that I will be caught up on lectures at the point in the schedule where I am supposed to be caught up on lectures. My main concern is whether 3-4 hours a day, 2 dozen essays, and 450 MBE is not enough work. I mean the exam is in two weeks.

I'm in TX btw.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:06 pm

lisjjen wrote: Not sure how your particular course is, but for my state (and Lisjjen's if I understand his point), today is the last day we actually have a lecture with "new" material, i.e., an outline to fill in and a checkpoint quiz. Everything after today is practice and review.

Ah, boo. I still have family law and corps to do.

ThisSucks1

Postby ThisSucks1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:55 pm

got a 151 on the simulated mbe. i know thats pretty good at this stage of the game. is the kaplan simulated mbe a good indicator of real mbe performance or are the simulated mbe questions easier than the actual mbe?

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:00 pm

ThisSucks1 wrote:got a 151 on the simulated mbe. i know thats pretty good at this stage of the game. is the kaplan simulated mbe a good indicator of real mbe performance or are the simulated mbe questions easier than the actual mbe?

Please add a trigger warning for others here before you reveal your severely superior score.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:04 pm

a male human wrote:
ThisSucks1 wrote:got a 151 on the simulated mbe. i know thats pretty good at this stage of the game. is the kaplan simulated mbe a good indicator of real mbe performance or are the simulated mbe questions easier than the actual mbe?

Please add a trigger warning for others here before you reveal your severely superior score.

:shock:
:cry:

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Is anyone else taking NY? What happens if you completely miss the issues on an essay? Will the MBE and other essays carry you or is it fatal?

semplice

Postby semplice » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:09 pm

hey guys, just checking in to whine a little. I'm doing Kaplan's course for the NY bar. Can't seem to get higher than a 5 on the essays, so apparently I'm doomed there. My grader (it's been the same one just about every time) keeps telling me to be "specific" in my rule statements, which seems odd since a rule is by definition a general principle. Also I keep getting inexplicable '2's on one slider or another. I feel a little bit manipulated.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:21 pm

I had skipped Fed Civ Pro lecture cause I hated NY Civ Pro and just did it today. That dude is awesome and needs to teach every kaplan lecture. I never felt lost in his lecture.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Royal wrote:Does it seem to anyone else like the questions in the red book get harder as you go?

What state/program is the red book from? All of my books are Kaplan purpely-blue. (IL, online)

Feeling super behind on all of this. I watched all of the videos and took all of the review quizzes but have barely done anything on essays or MPT. Practice exam on Monday is terrifying

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:36 am

bdubs wrote:
Royal wrote:Does it seem to anyone else like the questions in the red book get harder as you go?

What state/program is the red book from? All of my books are Kaplan purpely-blue. (IL, online)

Feeling super behind on all of this. I watched all of the videos and took all of the review quizzes but have barely done anything on essays or MPT. Practice exam on Monday is terrifying

I'm NY in class (so also online) and mine are all a purple blue as well.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:40 am

Up 29 points from the midterm on the MBE. Hooray there is hope :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”